Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 or c320. Which is best?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 or c320. Which is best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floridafil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: i3 or c320. Which is best? Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with both units?
How do they compare?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
chic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: i3 or c320. Which is best? Reply with quote

floridafil wrote:
Does anyone have experience with both units?
How do they compare?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

I had the i3 and have upgraded to the c320, reason being i got it from dixons for £160, so i sold my i3 on. The c320 is a better unit for me due to the touch screen and bigger screen, saying that I found the i3 easy to use and if I didnt get the c320 for such a low price Iwould have stuck with the i3. Also you get the mapsource software for all of europe with the c320 and you can install these different maps to the c320. with the I3 you are stuck with UK maps and you will have to buy other cards for europe. The c320 has more features, but the routing and navigation are just the same, only downside is the c320 only has v7 maps and thus doesnt have a postcode search like the i3, however there is an update v8 dvd released soon which will give the lastest maps and postcode searching on the c320. This will be free as long as you bought the unit after jan 06
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive said it before and i will say it again the GARMIN I3 is the ipods of sat navs
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get a Garmin C320 for the price of £160??, I can't seem to find them on the Dixons website!

Are they selling them in store?, Please do tell Confused
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhgc wrote:
ive said it before and i will say it again the GARMIN I3 is the ipods of sat navs

Surely the Tom Tom units are more analagous to iPods?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd agree with you lester if i knew what 'analagous' meant..... Laughing
madwab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Dixons deal Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
How did you get a Garmin C320 for the price of £160??, I can't seem to find them on the Dixons website!

Are they selling them in store?, Please do tell Confused

I got mine from Dixons at £162 about 3 weeks ago. Dixons are selling it at this price as a 'discontinued product', and the deal is not available on the internet (although it may have been at some point). They don't have big stocks and it's a case of going to or phoning different shops to see if anyone has any in stock - you might have to take a display model. It helps to live in London as there are lots of branches.

I liked it so much I got a second one for my sister. I'm still waiting for the v8 maps, and with it postoce searching, but it's a great piece of kit for the price if you can get it. Maplins are still selling it for over £400!!

Note that it will almost certainly not have the latest software, so vistit garmin.co.uk and get that sorted out, also the poi loader and latest uk poi file.

If you don't get lucky, note that 'The Link' (Dixons Group, I believe) were selling the Navman ic520 for £149.99 a couple of weeks ago, according to their in-store magazine. I never saw the product in any store at that price but again, you may get lucky...

I got mine in one of the Victoria shops, I know the other shop there also had one. I got my sister's in Lewisham - last one - and recently saw one in the Woolwich branch. A couple of branches have the price as £179.97 but will probably match other stores.

Happy hunting!
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me madwab! Smile

I was thinking of buying an 'i3' with the version 8 maps, but what put me off slightly was the thumbwheel to enter details, and the small screen, although this does not detract from being a great little unit. Garmin/Navteq IMHO, always have the better mapping as opposed to Tele-Atlas, (TomTom/Navman units).

The C320 is very good value at around £160, and brings extra features like touch screen, but the downside being version 7 maps. I wonder will Garmin offer the version 8 maps free as you stated, can anyone else confirm this?

If they do i'm off to Dixons straight away!! Laughing
floridafil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me madwab! Smile

I was thinking of buying an 'i3' with the version 8 maps, but what put me off slightly was the thumbwheel to enter details, and the small screen, although this does not detract from being a great little unit. Garmin/Navteq IMHO, always have the better mapping as opposed to Tele-Atlas, (TomTom/Navman units).

The C320 is very good value at around £160, and brings extra features like touch screen, but the downside being version 7 maps. I wonder will Garmin offer the version 8 maps free as you stated, can anyone else confirm this?

If they do i'm off to Dixons straight away!! Laughing

I rang Garmin yesterday to enquire about this very subject.

Providing you purchased your c320 after 1st January 2006, I can confirm that Garmin will provide a free update to v8 maps when they are available. I asked the guy when they are expected to be available and was told "Dont hold me to this, but I would think about the end of May"
With v8 mapping you also get postcode search, a feature not available with v7 which comes with the unit.
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
paulhgc wrote:

Surely the Tom Tom units are more analagous to iPods?

but i dont think you can tell a tom tom that you are a bus or truck and most of the bad storys you hear on tv are tom toms
Roblatus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my c320 a few weeks ago from my local Dixons for £150

Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: