Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tanga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Updates Reply with quote

Hi.

Can anyone help me as I am VERY thick when it comes to computers!!!
I have a Tom Tom Go 700 which I bought last November with a pre programmed Speed Camera whatever.
I need to update it and I have tried to understand what I need to do from this site but I am still not clear. Said I was thick. There is take of "backing up" SD cards ect. I dont even have one to back up!
Can anyone give me a helping hand PLEASE !

Cheers.

Jim Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
wookie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A backup is well worth doing, tending to the essential, before any upgrade or before installing a new feature (e.g. voices).

With the 700 you have a built-in disk drive rather than an SD card so you'll have to do the backup via the USB cable to your PC. The TTG software on the supplied CD has a backup utility so it should be simple enough...

Not sure about the camera database update - my experience in this area is limited to the excellent database available on this site. Well worth the swap once your TT free trial expires.

Cheers,

Andy
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea do the backup no mater what.
But the Database is slowing but surely changing all the time, not weekly but worthwhile every 6 months I would expect.
And always be looking out for them anyway, might cause people to become complacent driving flat out unless the TT tells them not too.
Ticket of major accident in the making, depending on your point of view I guess Rolling Eyes
wookie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the comment about not relying 100% on any database to have all the cameras! I drove down to London from Leeds on the M1 at the weekend and the new roadworks J10 to J8-ish have a 40 limit with specs cameras, not yet on the database but probably on the next release. At least these are well signed and bl**dy obvious!
tanga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Update Camera Database Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. However I am still not clear as to how you do it. Its a pity this site does not have a technical departement that can guide members through an upgrade at least for the first time.
The Tom Tom site is pathetic if you need help with their product. The problem nowadays is that you cant get in touch with a human! Its all computerized.

Cheers anyway,

Jim
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the new Specs camera system currantly being permantly installed on the M4 will not be quite as obvious in about 2008 and fully completed in 2012.

Wish they'd fit it all the way up the M6 between stoke and Blackpool, would halve my travelling time on Friday nights and summer season Crying or Very sad
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Update Camera Database Reply with quote

tanga wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for your replies. However I am still not clear as to how you do it. Its a pity this site does not have a technical departement that can guide members through an upgrade at least for the first time.
The Tom Tom site is pathetic if you need help with their product. The problem nowadays is that you cant get in touch with a human! Its all computerized.

Cheers anyway,

Jim

Pay the £2 to this site, restore your TT to original, and install the full 23 type camera database, according to the instructions and you'll be laffin Laughing
tanga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tigger hello.

I have no problem paying £2 or £20 for that matter. BUT, what EXACTLEY do I have to do. Click by click, bit by bit.
What about sending me an email with idiot type instructions !!!
Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BACKING UP:
The procedure is exactly the same whether you have a Go with an SD card or a hard drive:

Connect the GO to the PC. This should be seen as a new removeable drive.

Select the drive in Windows Explorer.

Ensure that all system files and hidden files are visible (Windows Explorer options setting in Tools /Folder Options / View).

Select all the files (Edit / Select all).

Right click and select Copy

Navigate to your computer hard drive and create and then open a new directory to copy the files to.

Right click in the directory window and select Paste.

This will take some time to complete, and may LOOK as if it has finished before it actually has, so always finish by clicking on "Safely Remove Hardware" in the system tray (next to the clock) and wait until it says it is OK before you unplug.
MR_TiGGer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18701
Look on the left hand side of the website there's a section called "
Camera Help Guides" and it worked first time for me, that's the LINK above for the TT Go series, just follow it to the latter I'm sure you'll be fine :D
tanga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Camera Database Reply with quote

Andy, cheers and others for helping.
Iwill give it a go !!!

Jim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: