Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sensory overload help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sensory overload help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Sensory overload help Reply with quote

First let me say thanks to everyone at pocket gps world for such a terrific site Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
I am going to buy a gps nav system this xmas so I am hoping someone can help me spend about £600 wisely.
Simply put, I need to find my way about all the EEC countries. Europe/GB/Ireland. I do not need it for the USA cus I cant afford to go there Sad I also want it to be portable ie car to car or in fact with me when I travel in a friends car.

1- I am looking towards a dell axim, why, well the reviews say there is nothing to touch it at the price but is it any good for gps or should I stick with the big one, Compaq Question or dedicated ie Garmin

2- Next is the SysOnChip cf plus, why, well P.G. World say its on top of the pile and it has a patch aerial socket if I have trouble but what's the axim / sysonchip marriage like Question Bonus, I have Autoroute on laptop but its crap on the dashboard but anyone know if SysOnChip cf plus and Autoroute work together? In fact can I run tom tom on my laptop? I dont need to see the screen as long as it tells me where to go?

3- Software in the form of TomTom, why, well the reviewers seem to like Navman SmartST Pro and TomTom Navigator equally well and it seems like its personal preference. I cant afford the two to try but I see T.T. have a European maps package of 8 cds. Pity I have to buy an area before I can buy this set.

4- Now if 2 in a bed is bliss, then a threesome is a recipe for disaster. Anyone know if all three will talk to one another Question

5- How accurate, Digital,Wass,XTrac,SPS,EGNOS,Bluetooth,128mb ,256mb, This is where I am really lost, 2 meters 90% of the time or 20 meters 100% of the time. Is there something that says excuse me today we are on the 10% ? Somewhere someone says that what works in usa doesn't work in gb and europe is different again, help? I love the sound of 2 meters, so does that mean that with the SysOnChip cf plus I can find the £600 I buried? Wink

6- The long and short of it, can someone recommend the above package or and this must be nearly all newbie's question, can you recommend a package that will guide/talk me door to door throughout the EEC and as a bonus to within 2,3,4,5 or what meters Question and actually works in this part of the world Confused
Thanks to all
Spookie1
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using it for mainly in-car usage then the Pocket PC is the way to go.

1) Dell are cheap (I guess you get what you pay for).

2) If you go for the Dell, you won't want the SysOnChip as there are problems with this combination. You cannot run any PDA based programs on a PC or vice versa.

3) CoPilot Live is also another contender and we have the review on Pocket GPS World. It allows for European maps, and also for you to create a corridor of maps between UK and say Spain, so that way you don't use tons of storage space.

4) SOC CF Plus will work with TomTom for sure, not sure about AutoRoute, in theory it should.

5) WAAS/EGNOS is fairly useless when driving, it gives greater accuracy, but at slow speeds not high speeds. 256mb card if you can afford it, if not 128mb, Bluetooth is great and a luxury, XTrac simliar to WAAS, it's high sensitivity for greater accuracy, not much gained at high speeds, but better cover when under heavy trees or have tall buildings surrounding you. WAAS is US based with ground stations based around the US, EGNOS is the European equivalent, not going fully live until April 2004 (but it's in test now and can be utilised but not 100% accuracy guaranteed). In reality you don't need 2 meters, unless you have buried an earing or something small and need to find it again.

6) CoPilot Live, it will work out cheaper than TomTom in the long run, forget about 2m accuracy if you are driving, 99% of GPS is accurate for driving, don't beat yourself up over this.
spook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: EGNOS compatable Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for the prompt reply :D
Food for thought

Dave or anyone know if the SysOnChip cf plus is EGNOS compatable Question
Many thanks
spookie1
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It accepts the switch to WAAS/EGNOS but I haven't tested it, EGNOS still is a little scratchy as it's not live yet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: