Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Map Problem!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Map Problem!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trauma999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: European Map Problem! Reply with quote

Hi guys

Ive recently purchased myself a 2gb sd card and installed most of the european maps onto it as im off into europe next month. Problem I have is that I want to be able to navigate to were Im going in Germany but it appears to me that you can only navigate within the map you have loaded so for example to navigate from say Newcastle to Paris I have to navigate from Newcastle to dover---- switch map to France and navigate from calais to paris!! surely there must be a way around this any ideas anyone??
Question
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the only way around this is to use the Major Roads Of Europe Map as well, that will get you for example, from london to Paris, you then switch to the France map to finnish your journey.

Its a pain I know but I am sure they do not do a Map OF Europe as one map.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you want to visit Germany and France.

The way round it is to install the basic GB map and the France and Germany Plus maps.

If you are travelling to Germany, choose the German Plus map, this will get you from your home to the German border on the major roads of Europe and you'll have German Street level as soon as you cross the border.

For Newcastle to Paris choose the French Plus maps.

From Paris to Germany choose the Germany plus map.

You will probably find your Street/Road is not shown on the MRE but there will be a point close by which you will know.

It's not ideal having more than one plus map because they take up a bit more room on your card but it saves you messing about swapping maps.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this is about Destinator, not TomTom. Unless the OP posted it wrong.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Trauma999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep its all about destinator! Im running ND with Navteq maps on Bluemedia BM6300 Laughing
robinl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Which version of Destinator? Reply with quote

If you are using Destinator PN then you can select the required map when selecting a destination.

Destinator will then show the route on the Source map to the first border, when you drive the route Destinator will switch to the relevant country map or Major Roads of Europe when you get to the border.

Last summer I selected a route from the UK to Slovenia (the Austrian border since Slovenia is not in PN) and Destinator switched maps correctly at each border.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can support robinl's view on that. I often use PN across Europe. In theory it will load each map in succession at the border point. Sometimes it is seamless and you don't even notice. However I have had occasions where it needs a bit of help. The general results seem to be that if you cross a border with a strong GPS signal it just swaps. Sometimes if you exit a tunnel, for example the channel tunnel, it struggles to locate and load the new map and sometimes drops the route. This might be my hardware (M2000 and Holux CR100 last time I was there). I've recently switched to the Holux GPS Slim and this seems to get a fix more swiftly so it might help. I'll be interested to see if it makes a difference.

However, the one thing that can be a pain is viewing a long route, involving cross border navigation and trying to see your complete turn by turn route. It will only show you as far as the end of your current map then just the distance to your destination. I think, as mentioned, loading the major routes map cures this but I haven't tried it. I just tend to trust it.

I've done a few great trips this year including a great overnight run from Paris Charles De Gaul to Rimini in Italy. Down through France, into Switzerland, through the Mont Blanc tunnel and down to Rimini. Returned the hire car to France but went from Rimini up past Torino, through the Alps again and into the South Of France, grabbing a flight from St Etienne. Great journies. Reminded me how great it is to drive through Europe especially with Sat Nav guiding you. You get to enjoy the country without fear of ending up in the wrong one!

Anyway, I've digressed a little into a novel so I'll wind it in now :-) Yes it works..... most of the time.
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: