Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin route selection - country roads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin route selection - country roads
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milesd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Well according to the comments posted here from Garmin regarding vehicle choice, it apparently has no influence on the routing - merely the timing estimates.

Hmm, that's rather curious, as I can repeat the experiment - simulated route, select bus and it sends be down the first route, select truck and it sends me down the slightly larger looking but more of of the way roads?

An 'avoid B class or less roads' would be great - anything to avoid the no-doubt-classed-as-30mph roads that you acutally have to bury your card into a hedge to let other cars passed every few minutes.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amicus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
Well according to the comments posted here from Garmin regarding vehicle choice, it apparently has no influence on the routing - merely the timing estimates.

Intresting, haven't seen those comments, new here. That does concur with what I've found while playing with local trips.
Another strange thing, the c320 came with a copy of "CitySelect Europe v7 c320" the routing with this gives a different route than the GPS Sad

This may be because the road speeds are customizable in CS giving more varied options
Dave
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milesd wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

Hmm, that's rather curious, as I can repeat the experiment - simulated route, select bus and it sends be down the first route, select truck and it sends me down the slightly larger looking but more of of the way roads?

Hey, don't shoot the messenger - I'm only repeating comments by Garmin that were posted here - and that comment was pretty adamant - whether it was truthful, knowledgable or factually correct, I cannot be sure, but nevertheless, if you are to buy the word of a Garmin representative, and that it was accurately quoted, the vehicle selection has nothing whatsoever to do with the roads chosen, merely the estimates for the arrival time, and the estimates for the time / speed on certain types of roads.

I've never personally tried altering my vehicle selection, with a view to any alteration in route.
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove from Newcastle to Bamburgh the other day. When I was established on the A1 the i3 told me to stay on it for 43 miles and the read out said A1 to B1431 which was the road I expected to take. However, when I got near Bamburgh it took me off the A1 onto a very minor 1 track road. I ended up in a field, though I think that may have been due to reacting too quickly to an instruction to turn without checking map. It got me where I wanted to go and when I came back took me the same route. On the return trip I came across a large farm vehicle and had to reverse some distance in the dark. The unit did appear to know the better route until I got up there so presumably it wouldn't be too complicated to alter the software to use that route?!
crockers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is required is the ability to enter average speeds for differing classes of roads. I could do this on my Tom Tom for pda but cant here on my Nuvi. I wrote to Garmin about this and was told I should have bought a differing unit. Some help - NOT..... Surely this is an easy fix. I listed all this on the reply to a another thread....
rawhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread still the current state of play?
I still regularly get sent down tiny roads with more grass than tarmac.

I3, V9 maps, version 2.7... Question
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason you get sent down unsuitable road is because many little lanes in the uk. have speed limits of 60mph so the routing algorythm will use the small roads as falls within its rules

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with more sophisticated Garmin units try setting the data fields to : Distance to next and Time to next and divide them out ..you will then see why minor roads where you spend most of your time in reverse gear are used in preference to A and B roads Crying or Very sad

Dave
PaulJSmith
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Please see my post http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=313742#313742

it has an e-mail address of a person at Garmin who wants to hear from everyone having this issue. It may prompt some action.

Cheers.

Paul
poleposition
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milesd wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:

An 'avoid B class or less roads' would be great - anything to avoid the no-doubt-classed-as-30mph roads that you acutally have to bury your card into a hedge to let other cars passed every few minutes.

I agree that changing the vehicle type does appear to change the routing. I tried selecting truck and did not notice a difference, and then tried bus, and that seems to have helped with this problem? I think truck might be american for 4WD vehicle or pick-up?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: