Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Nav 2, so s . . l . . o . . w
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Nav 2, so s . . l . . o . . w

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: TomTom Nav 2, so s . . l . . o . . w Reply with quote

I live in the North of Scotland and most weeks I drive to England. Everytime I plan my destination and set Navingator running to plot the route, it takes ages, - seriously at least 90 minutes usually, to plot the route. Not really a navigational issue as I kind of know the first 4 hours of my journey very well, but I like to have an ETA available. Although this is occassionaly a problem on other long trips, when I set my destination to home, it never takes more than a couple of minutes - even last week in the maiddle if South Wales. Any ideas?

TTN 2.24
iPAQ 3950maps on SD card, App on main memory
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP have posted an update to resolve performance issues with SD cards. See http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/19632.html
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I just installed the 3950 version but it hasn't made any difference I don't think.
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops - hang on, I just installed the previous version, not the new one. Trying again . . .
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope - no difference there either
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what the problem is, but I would definately try removing and then re-installing the maps again to see if that resolves the problem.

Good luck,

Ian.
markfraser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One morning this week, I found that Nav had reset itself. All speeds were reset to the defaults, all recent destinations and favourites had gone too. When I planned a route however, towns and streets came up much faster and the route was planned at lightening speed.

I am now very confused Question
Dave-RoadEX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also come across a similar problem, and i found that by resetting all speeds to default in the advanced properties menu seems to cure this. Incidentally i have found that if you change the setting for Major Roads to below 47 MPH i get a warning telling me that journey calculation may be slow at the current settings! So instead of doing this, i have upped the speed setting for motorways to 70MPH in the hope that it will always give preference to motorways.
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had slowness once that I tracked down to full memory on the IPAQ. The record button must have been pressed by accident so the ipaq storage memory was 99% full - worth checking?
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from a CF card o a SD card, and this more than doubled the calculation time for an identical route.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:11 am    Post subject: Try defragmenting the storage card Reply with quote

Mark's issue might possibly be fragmented map files on the storage card - defragmenting the card might help.

There's various options - I know of no free defragmentation utilities that run on the Pocket PC, but Softwinter's StorageTools isn't too expensive. Anton Tomov's Pocket Mechanic seems interesting - I haven't yet had time to evaluate it.

Alternatively, If you have a card reader connected to your PC, you can almost certainly use a defragmentation utility on the PC.

Another piece of information that would be useful is any markings from the back of the SD card - some Sandisk cards are slow (and many brands are Sandisk relabels).

If you care to post a start and finish locations (or PM to them to me), I'll try them on my iPAQ 3970 / TomTom Navigator 2 2.24 setup and let you know how fast the route calculates.

I have now got my 3970 running Pocket PC 2003 (it sounds as if the original poster is running Pocket PC 2002), having successfully found drivers for all my various bits of hardware and upgrades for all but two of my software packages - that's one reason I've been away from the forums for a while. I hope to be back now on a regular basis.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants to know how to get a Compaq WL110 wireless LAN card working on Pocket PC 2003, PM me - or check out my posts in microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless using groups.google.co.uk.

David
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back David, haven't seen you posting here for a while now Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - it's good to be back.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: