Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin announce the Forerunner 205 and the Forerunner 305
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin announce the Forerunner 205 and the Forerunner 305

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Garmin announce the Forerunner 205 and the Forerunner 305 Reply with quote

New Garmin GPS receiverWhist the other Garmin announcements today have been about upgraded GPS receivers the Forerunner 205/305 is a completely new design. And boy does it look good.

We had a preview of the new Forerunner 205 and Forerunner 305 GPS training systems at CES in Las Vegas last week. These really look sleek and well designed. More like wrist watches than a big rectangular lump of plastic these new fitness GPS receivers have the functionality of the original Forerunners, but with upgraded performance.

As with most of the newly announced Garmin GPS receivers the new Forerunners feature the latest SiRFStarIII GPS Chipset. This ensures that you get the most accurate GPS fix even in adverse conditions such as deep in the forest.

The GPS Personal Training devices are also compatible with a number of post work-out analysis tools, including the supplied Training Centre and also MotionBased software (I assume it is also compatible with Memory-Map as well).

At CES we met Clark Weber the co-founder of MotionBased which has recently been acquired by Garmin. MotionBased is an online data and mapping system which allows you not only to analyse your training data, but you can share it with the community as well. We will be reviewing MotionBased soon when we look at the new Forerunner 305, and the Edge 305.

Garmin Press Release wrote:

New Product Announcement: Forerunner 205 and Forerunner 305
Garmin International is pleased to announce the new Forerunner 205 and Forerunner 305. These new Forerunner models offer many of the same exciting features found in the Forerunner 201 and 301 — all in a stylish, new watch-like GPS device.

The Forerunner 205 is a one-piece training assistant that will provide athletes with precise speed, distance, and pace data.

The Forerunner 305 additionally provides a wireless heart rate monitor, which allows the user to continuously monitor their heart rate. The wireless heart rate monitor (worn as a chest strap) sends heart rate data to the Forerunner 305 so users can see if they are training to hard or not hard enough. The 205 and 305 also features a high-sensitivity GPS receiver that provides exceptional signal reception, even when running under tree canopy or near tall buildings. There’s no calibration required, and the 205 & 305 can be used for multiple sports, like cycling, cross country skiing and more. The new Forerunner 205 and 305 are powerful tools for those interested in losing weight, improving fitness, reaching peak athletic performance, or just improving health to reduce heart-related problems.

Having the ability to analyze workout data is an important tool in reaching one’s fitness goals. That’s why these Forerunners come with the Garmin Training Center™ software, which allows users to download workout data for a detailed analysis.

For additional post workout analysis, the 205 & 305 are compatible with MotionBased™ software. MotionBased adds a new dimension to training and outdoor fitness that makes the analytical aspects of a sport more compelling and a lot more fun. Users can upload data to MotionBased, a Web-based application that has partnered with Garmin. MotionBased provides in-depth analysis of your workouts; online mapping and route sharing that will take your training to the next level. MotionBased automatically calculates time, distance, speed, elevation, and heart rate and displays this information through meaningful charts, illustrations, reports, and maps.

The new Forerunner 205 & 305 also doubles as a basic navigator. Users can mark their starting point as a specific location, see their current position on the plotter display, and follow an electronic breadcrumb trail back to their starting point.

Forerunner 205 and 305 Product features
• Fresh new, sleek and stylish form factor
• One-piece device (205), Two-piece device (305)
• High-sensitivity GPS receiver will provide faster acquisition times and improved reception near trees & buildings allowing for more accurate and reliable data
• No calibration is required
• Heart rate monitor helps you train in your target zone to optimize performance; No cross talk (305 only)
• Continuously monitors heart rate (305 only), speed, distance, pace, and calories burned
• Use with the Garmin speed/cadence sensor (GSC 10) on bike
• Includes the Training Center CD-ROM (see details below)
• Compatible with MotionBased software for detailed post-run analysis (see details below)
• USB interface allows for fast data transfer to the computer
• Store and review up to 1000 laps
• Multi-sport - customize profiles for running, cycling and other sports
• Use the course feature to race against previous runs
• Auto Pause™ pauses and resumes training timer based on a specified speed
• Auto Lap™ by location or distance
• Alerts for time, distance, pace and heart rate (305 only)
• Navigation capabilities allow you to mark & find locations and navigate back to starting point
• Up to 10 hours of battery life / rechargeable lithium-ion battery
• Waterproof, IEC 60529, IPX7 (Submersible to 1 meter @ 30 minutes)
• Limited one-year warranty

Training Center Features
• Transfer data from Forerunner to your PC for a detailed analysis of your workout
• Create, schedule and download workouts to your Forerunner
• View data for each workout, including your heart rate, time, distance, speed, path travelled and altitude
• Track data for multiple sports and multiple users
• Overlay workout data to a map

MotionBased Features
• Users can race multiple instances of the same route to see how they are improving or to race other members of MotionBased. You may start "virtually racing" someone you don't even know.
• The MotionBased TrailNetwork is the community-oriented section of MotionBased where customers can access activities posted by other members. It's a growing database of activities and routes created by MotionBased customers. The TrailNetwork may be used to discover new activities or to review results of activities for virtual competition.
• The MotionBased Map Player displays the route of your activity on a variety of map backgrounds of your choice: Street, Photo, Topo, Elevation
• For more information on the features offered by MotionBased, please visit www.motionbased.com

Forerunner 205
(Includes Forerunner 205, Training Center CD-ROM, docking cradle, expander strap, A/C charger, USB interface cable, owner’s manual, and quick start guide)

Availability: February, 2006
Garmin P/N: 010-00466-01
UPC: 753759051914
RRP: £ 191.19 ex VAT

Forerunner 305
(Includes unit, digital coded heart rate monitor, Training Center CD-ROM, A/C charger, PC/USB interface cable, owner’s manual, and quick start guide)

Availability: February, 2006
Garmin P/N: 010-00467-01
UPC: 753759051952
RRP: £ 249.19 ex VAT

Optional accessories
Replacement heart rate chest strap
Garmin P/N: 010-10714-00
UPC #: 75375905734 7
RRP: £ 5.86 ex VAT

Velcro strap & expander strap
Garmin P/N: 010-10753-00
UPC #: 753759054809
RRP: £ 8.78 ex VAT

GSC10 speed/cadence sensor
Garmin P/N: 010-10644-00
UPC #: 753759050030
RRP: £ 35.15 ex VAT

More details on the Garmin website.

Click here for more details of the MotionBased community.
Paddlegod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this update applying to the Foretrex range as well? I have a Foretrex201 which could certainly benefit from an increase in sensitivity!
Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Forerunner Update Reply with quote

Nice to see the new model, its certainly a big leap forward aesthetically. Only thing we need now is a UK launch date and, of course, the cost!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No cost yet, but they are scheduled to be available in Feb. I was playing around with one yesterday. They are pretty neat.
pugwash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-ordered one of these from http://www.redlionsports.co.uk/item--Garmin-Forerunner-305-Heart-Rate-Monitor--GarminForerunner305 - the original shipping date (15th Feb or so) has been changed to "before the end of February".

It's possible other suppliers will get them in marginally earlier - not sure.

Chris
pugwash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those eagerly following the release of these, mine arrived this morning. It's charging up now - I'll report first thoughts if I remember to. Smile

Chris
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugwash wrote:
For those eagerly following the release of these, mine arrived this morning. It's charging up now - I'll report first thoughts if I remember to. Smile

Chris

I havent got mine yet Sad Which model did you get and how is it working for you?
for
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 205 a couple of weeks ago and I've had no problems with it so far. It is alot faster at acquiring satellites than my old Timex/Garmin watch but is still not as fast as I had hoped - you cannot just switch it on and start running as it takes up to a couple of minutes to start up. I really like the 3 customisable screens where you can change the fields displayed and can set it up so that it automatically scrolls through them whilst running.

Uploading the data to the Training Centre software on the PC is easy and here you can analyse/compare runs. The maps supplied with software, where runs can be displayed, are very rudimentary and are virtually useless. The data can be exported in XML format but I have not found any method of importing the routes in Anquet which is the OS mapping software I use. Does anybody know the format of Anquet ARF files?

iPAQ 3970 and XDA mini s
Socket Blutooth
TomTom Navigator 6
Anquet 1.2.6 & v6
Garmin Forerunner 205
allelectrix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Anquet Maps Reply with quote

Brian you quoted:

Does anybody know the format of Anquet ARF files?

iPAQ 3970 and XDA mini s
Socket Blutooth
TomTom Navigator 6
Anquet 1.2.6 & v6

Well I dont know the format of the file alas, but I would like to upload ARF files to their website for others to use.

Anquet say that I need v1.2 I've only got v6 now, so could I ask you to send me a copy of 1.2 to my email address ?

I have a very big software collection, so perhaps I could send you something you want in return for the favour ?

I too would also like to know the format of the ARF file, so if anyone knows, were all ears.

thanks a lot Brian, cheers, Jim

[/code][/quote]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: