Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom One - updated maps soon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom One - updated maps soon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom One - updated maps soon? Reply with quote

First posting from total Newbie... and very impressed with web site and especially the technical content (and wit!) of forum contributors.

I've researched in-car GPS and pretty much decided on a TT1. I gather that TT normally update maps in ~May, so, should I delay purchase until then, or will TT offer free update if I purchase now?

And sorry to pose a related question... I have seen some conflicting information regarding the TT1 map source; most agree it's TeleAtlas but at least one reviewer on another site has stated that both the Rider and TT1 use Navteq. An e-mail to TT produced a non-definitive 'politician's reply', which made me wonder.....
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:

Quote:
I've researched in-car GPS and pretty much decided on a TT1. I gather that TT normally update maps in ~May, so, should I delay purchase until then, or will TT offer free update if I purchase now?

This is taken from the Tomtom website concerning updates of maps.

Quote:
TomTom Map Updates
Last year we offered our TomTom GO, NAVIGATOR and MOBILE customers the opportunity to benefit from the Update Programme. From April/May until November 2005 many of our TomTom product owners upgraded to the newest application version and new street level maps.

Introducing a new map update program. Starting in the second quarter of 2006, existing TomTom customers will be able to purchase the latest maps at a discount. Each map package also includes free updates to the TomTom software.

TomTom will inform all registered customers via the monthly newsletter when the map update program starts. To receive your notification, register via our website and sign up for your copy of the newsletter.

Quote:
And sorry to pose a related question... I have seen some conflicting information regarding the TT1 map source; most agree it's TeleAtlas but at least one reviewer on another site has stated that both the Rider and TT1 use Navteq. An e-mail to TT produced a non-definitive 'politician's reply', which made me wonder.....

The Tomtom One uses Tele Atlas maps
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info....wonder why TT uses Navteq for the Rider and not for their other products.....?

I had indeed seen that information (map upgrade programme) on TT's web site but wondered if there's a 'free upgrade' period, which many software companies have. Perhaps another e-mail to TT might get a useful reply?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
....wonder why TT uses Navteq for the Rider and not for their other products.....?

Keeping their options open? / Trying to scare TeleAtlas into giving them a better service deal?

Quote:
... wondered if there's a 'free upgrade' period, which many software companies have.

The only free update they have ever done, as far as I know, is for TT Go700 owners who bought it a matter of days before the update. They had to send the whole unit back and many were expected to accept a refurbished unit in exchange. So... No.

Quote:
Perhaps another e-mail to TT might get a useful reply?

Very unlikely Evil or Very Mad
TomTom's email response is famous for its total lack of relevance to any specific question you may ask. Telephone replies tend to be better, if you can get through.
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies; guess there's no reason to delay getting that TT1 - although the general feeling, from what I can see when reading forum postings, is that units using Navteq data seem to enjoy more up-to-date maps than TeleAtlas. Perhaps the next map upgrade will restore parity?

As a Which? subscriber, Computing Which's recent SatNav tests commented that on the (very limited) routes they used, only the TT1 had a map accuracy problem (also tested Garmin i3). Makes me wonder why Garmin don't bring out a lower-spec Nuvi (ie a unit with the SirfIII chipset) but without MP3 players, translators etc that probably few people would need, but at a price whic competes head-on with the TT1.
sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an free upgrade to TomTom2 from TomTom1, back in the distant past, - if I remember it was because I had only just purchased TomTom1 when two came out. But this was for a Pocket PC, and TomTom required that I send back the TomTom1 disks to obtain the upgrade. So there's a slim posibility that if you buy now you wil get a free upgrade. But as TomTom never say anything until after the event, I wouldn't risk it. Wait a few weeks and get the new software.

I have another question for anyone out there. I have a TomTom ONE, plus MOWE and a city map of Tenerife. Will the upgrade cover all of tese, or will I have to pay separately to upgrade each of them - could be expensive!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: