Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CN8 maps twice the size of CS6 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CN8 maps twice the size of CS6 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: CN8 maps twice the size of CS6 ? Reply with quote

Am I getting it wrong?
I have a route saved which was made using CS6 using around 90mb.
When I use CN8 and select the route it is showing 190 mb. Is this for real?

If so it means I can't load much of europe on for a tour. Also is this why slow screen redraws are being reported?

Just got upgraded so havn't actually downloaded to my quest yet.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just upgraded from CS7 to CN8 and if I wanted to put the M25 and inside onto my PPC, CS7 needed 21Mb of space whereas CN8 needs 35Mb. Whereas CN8 uses about 18 map segments to cover the British Isles, CS7 uses more like 118!

For instance, if you wanted Milford Haven, you would also get Glasgow and a bit of Northern Ireland in the same segment.
emf53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much better is CN 8 over CS 6 - have just bought a new Quest and looking at upgrading to CN8.

I am going on a road trip to Italy this year via France and Switzerland - am I better off with 6 as I can get more maps on the Quest than if I use 8?
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't road tested it yet, depending on the size of your trip, CS6 could well be better. After all it's only the same as using a two year old map, and my Michelin european map book is older than that !!!
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed your quest is new, you will get a free upgrade to CN8. You can use either and see for your self!!!
emf53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wait for 8 to turn up and then have a play to see which one is best for me.
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emf53 wrote:
Will wait for 8 to turn up and then have a play to see which one is best for me.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the difference.

I'm now thinking I won't bother to buy CNEv8, especially given the trouble I've had getting them to let me pay for it without a credit card. They just don't respond to my attempts to contact them. I've been trying to ever since it was released properly, which is over a month ago now. I'll probably just stick with CSEv7, after all.

I guess there's no chance of them producing a faster version in the near future with smaller map segments. It's a shame but I hope they consider it for next years release.

I really would be prepared to pay Garmin for annual map updates provided they keep the price reasonable and provided it doesn't slow my Quest down. When I miss a turning and it recalculates the route, I already find it too slow because it's often too late to make the next turn it suggests.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy2No wrote:
emf53 wrote:

I really would be prepared to pay Garmin for annual map updates provided they keep the price reasonable and provided it doesn't slow my Quest down. When I miss a turning and it recalculates the route, I already find it too slow because it's often too late to make the next turn it suggests.

Out of interest, does selecting "faster calculation"rather than "better route" option make any difference to the speed of recalculation ??

Cheers
Dave
Andy2No
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
Out of interest, does selecting "faster calculation"rather than "better route" option make any difference to the speed of recalculation ??

Cheers
Dave

I have to admit I don't know. I set it to "faster" for that very reason but I just assumed that was quicker, I haven't really experimented with "better route".
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing with a Quest with CSv6 and in route planning it calculates the route a bit faster when set to the fastest calculation time so wondered if it was the same inCN8 when recalculating,perhaps you could give it a try and let me know?

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: