Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question RE i3 transflash cards
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question RE i3 transflash cards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Question RE i3 transflash cards Reply with quote

Hi again !

I have had a plonk round the forum to try & answer this, but what i'm seeing is confusing me....!!

The 256mb transflash in my i3:

can i buy a another blank card & back up my OEM transcard (with the map data / app i 'legally' own as the purchaser of the i3)

OR IS THE OEM CARD 'LOCKED' TO THE i3 UNIT AND CANNOT BE SUBSTITUTED WITH ANOTHER????

If the above is TRUE, then could i back up my OEM card to my PC's HDD, then re-burn the data back to the OEM transflash if required?

The reason i ask is that I have managed to download some maps & wanna have a 'play' but don't wanna ruin what garmin have already put on the card.

Thanks in advance
Adam
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can copy the data to the PC and save it there for future, the data can be copied back to the original card only, you cannot use a different card with the data copied to it, this simply refuses to work - Mike
adam808
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnak you !

in a way thats good = i don't have to buy another flash card

in a way thats bad = i need to have the bottle to change the contents of the garmin card & i wont know i can make it go back again until i have too....

----------------

Presumably if one were to call garmin & say

"hi, i've been dicking about with your media card to install maps i got from the internet & i've ruined it, can i have another please?"

they wouldn't be so sympathetic?

-----------------

incidently i had a issue with my card, that resulted in me having to take it back to the shop & they simply gave me another one from an i3 that i put in my original i3 & that worked fine, so what ever the card security is, it isn't unit specific (like a mac address would be for example)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Question RE i3 transflash cards Reply with quote

adam808 wrote:

The reason i ask is that I have managed to download some maps

sounds a bit dubious... Wink
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can copy the data to the PC and save it there for future, the data can be copied back to the original card only, you cannot use a different card with the data copied to it, this simply refuses to work - Mike

Mike,
before buying a card reader what do the files look like are any of the voice or display readable ?.
I'm intrested in reverse engineering the units software but don't want to waste my money or time if we are talking disassembly of machine code or some other outlandish software unique to garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: