Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Speed Camera Editing / Loading Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Speed Camera Editing / Loading Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also used the application to change and load the camera database - very good chaps.

However, if I was being really picky, I would like a further option. Would it be possible to set a certain distance (or time) for the initial bong and icon display of say equivalent to 20 seconds - but to have a smaller zone for the speed warning ping?

I know someone will say stop speeding, but sometimes it's nice to know a camera is coming and then just get a warning if speeding close to it.

I suppose this could be done manually with 2 separate files for each POI similar to this application, but with different parameters for each one.

Any thoughts?
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty-Party wrote:
Would it be possible to set a certain distance (or time) for the initial bong and icon display of say equivalent to 20 seconds - but to have a smaller zone for the speed warning ping?

This is certainly possible - somewhere I have/had a version with dual sliders, giving a primary and secondary warning - rather like POI Warner does for the PPC/TTN chaps.

However, I thought this made things a bit overly complicated for the user - same goes for having options to always warn regardless of speed, and/or warn if speeding.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, I have used your application for a while now, without any real problems, so PLEASE don't be put off by the nay sayers!!!

I would like to have a play with your dual slider version even if you think it would not suit everyone.

Nick.
nearly50
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question

Ash,

I've managed to set it all up, I just need to try it out now. One thing please, is your picture with the settings for each type camera what you would recommend? I'm not familiar with all the different types of cameras and guess that say, any on motorways for example would need more time given to react. Has anyone tested this yet with all the different cameras, and if so, could anyone recommmend timings as for now, I have just put mine all at 30 seconds.

Many thanks. Nearly 50
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly50 wrote:
Question

I'm not familiar with all the different types of cameras and guess that say, any on motorways for example would need more time given to react. Has anyone tested this yet with all the different cameras, and if so, could anyone recommmend timings as for now, I have just put mine all at 30 seconds.

Many thanks. Nearly 50

I've been using the other application and I've had all the alerts set to 15 seconds which suits me. Remember that the higher the speed the greater the distance you are warned anyway.

There is an argument that says mobile sites need longer warning distances as their guns can get you quite a distance away. While true, this leads to many false alerts as you pass near mobile sites and I'd rather have as few false alarms as possible so when it does alert I pay more attention.

Kind regards,

Mark
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
However, I thought this made things a bit overly complicated for the user - same goes for having options to always warn regardless of speed, and/or warn if speeding.
Why not have an Advanced mode which isn't on by default - then those that want even more control can, whilst those that are starting out can use the normal mode and still get the results they want?
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Ash10 wrote:
Why not have an Advanced mode which isn't on by default - then those that want even more control can, whilst those that are starting out can use the normal mode and still get the results they want?

That sounds like a really good idea, but then again I'm not making it! Wink
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version now available 8)

Camera types are now "tabbed" - click on each of the camera buttons to view/edit the settings for that particular camera type.

Support has been added for two-stage warnings:

- The first warning (single "bong bong") is given as you approach a camera location, regardless of speed.

- The second warning (single reminder "bong bong", followed by repeating "bing bing bing") is given as you close in on the camera location, but only if you're going too fast.

Download from here - http://tinyurl.com/qwwwa

Enjoy Wink

PS - what, still no sticky? :D
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice - will test later......
stevewhit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Problems Reply with quote

Just had another go using this latest version but even though the files are converted to GPX & placed into the correct directory the POI loader still refuses to upload them to the i3. I am using the latest version of the POI loader & it uploads the normal csv files without problem.
I wonder why it is that some users can upload without problem.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems Reply with quote

stevewhit wrote:
Just had another go using this latest version but even though the files are converted to GPX & placed into the correct directory the POI loader still refuses to upload them to the i3. I am using the latest version of the POI loader & it uploads the normal csv files without problem.
I wonder why it is that some users can upload without problem.

Without a little more detail, it's impossible to say - I ain't psychic... Rolling Eyes

When you say POI_Loader "refuses" to upload them, what do you mean? Errors? Ignores them?

What other (CSV based) POI do you have? Have you already got speed cameras in there, perhaps under a different name?

Are you using POI Loader in Manual mode? Feet and mph? How long does upload take? Seconds? Minutes?

C'mon, throw me a line here Laughing
stevewhit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refuses to upload them : Same problem that has been highlighted in previous posts, I attempt to upload modified GPX files along with other non speed camera csv files using latest version of POI loader in express mode set to feet & MPH. POI Loader connects to i3 when usb cable is plugged in & selects correct file on pc, click on 'next' & wait, 2mins, 10 mins & so on, check POI loader program status & it says 'progam not responding' so I have to manually shut down the loader & nothing has transferred to i3.
If you require any futher details please post...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does take a few minutes to transfer due to the size of the files.

I would recommend closing down as many programs as possible (including your Anti Virus and any firewalls) before doing the upload. Also make sure you have the latest USB drivers for then i3 -

USB Drivers Ver. 2.1 as of Aug 26, 2004 http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00434-00

Maybe also try removing the pocketgps_uk_gatso.gpx and pocketgps_uk_mobile.gpx files (plus the corresponding bmp files) from the upload directory before you upload. This files are HUGE and cause the most delay. If the others SPEC, TEMP etc load OK then you know everything works OK.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems to be that POI_Loader doesn't behave very nicely when it's very busy - when you drag another window across the POI Loader one you'll notice that it doesn't get redrawn.

After a while in this state, some versions of Windows decide that POI_Loader has crashed and (offer to) kill the application for you.

Things to try would include:

- temporarily remove other POI from the working directory, so that just cameras are left

- temporarily remove pocketgps_uk_gatso.gpx and pocketgps_uk_mobile.gpx (as Paul suggested above), but there's no harm in leaving the corresponding bmp files

- close down other applications (again, as Paul suggested), although I'd leave any AV and firewall stuff running

- make sure that you're using the latest version of POI_Loader, currently v2.2.1

I don't belive that the USB drivers are an issue, as it appears to be the lengthy preprocessing performed by POI_Loader that causes the problem - the actual USB transfer still only takes a few seconds.

What version of Windows are people having trouble with?
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10,

Thanks very much for the updated app and I hope you didn't think my previous post was in any way negative - just a wish list.

The new option to change the warning distances separately is great and works well.

Just one more item on my wish list (cheeky I know). I prefer the speed zoned files as it displays a nice speed icon instead of the gatsco camera thing. Any plans to allow your app to use these files?

Oh and one more thing... any plans to be able to tweak the warning speed up a tiny bit e.g. from 30 to 33mph. I know this can be done manually but maybe a nice feature.

Thanks again for a great app.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: