Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is PPC software compatible with ALL PPC devices?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is PPC software compatible with ALL PPC devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Is PPC software compatible with ALL PPC devices? Reply with quote

I just bought Route 66 Navigate 7 UK/IRL. The Route 66 box says 'For Pocket PC'. I have a Mitac Mio 168 PPC. I thought, surely this will work? By the looks of it, I was wrong.

I'm just curious as to if PPC devices differ from each other in any way. My software will not run after its installed on the PPC. It does install. It just says that some files are missing, and I need to re-install.

I did a hard reset of the PPC device, format the SD card, and installed as per the instructions. I still get an error.

I am waiting for a reply from the Route 66 customer support by email. But in the meantime, I just wanted to know if certain software although it says is compatible with PPC, isn't.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is PPC software compatible with ALL PPC devices? Reply with quote

No idea about your particular issue, but often software is written for a specific processor type ie ARM, XScale etc.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on what OS system you are running. Just like a PC where certain programmes will not run on certain versions of Windows. WM5, the latest PPC OS has not been out long and some versions of TT5 will not run on it for example. So what OS system does the Mitac use?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Steve101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mitac Mio uses Windows 2003. The Mitac Mio is listed as compatible with the Route 66 Navigator 7. This is listed under the software only option.

The Mitac is not listed under the 'Kit' version. The kit version includes the software, GPS receiver, memory card reader/writer and a few other items. The reason it is not listed under the Kit version is because the Mitac already has a built-in GPS, so it wouldn't take another one.

Route 66 have got their facts right. The information is correct on both Kit and Software web pages. But the Mitac Mio 168 IS on the compatible PPC list, that is supported by this software.

Its a strange situation. I understand that some software needs specific operating systems, or hardware to run, but it seems the Mitac conforms to all this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: