Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP6 bugs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP6 bugs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I tried to edit the name of a custom location; i.e. a location that I entered in the Favourites list using Save Location. Unfortunately, the Edit Favourites function does not allow a simple change to the text of the entry. Instead, it goes through a procedure lifted from the Select Stop by Address function. This means that the name of a favourite that is edited has to include a city, street, etc. from CP 6’s database. The Edit Favourite function is therefore useless for custom locations, which have either to keep their existing names or be re-entered next time the user is there.

This further reinforces the impression that CP 6 is little more than CP 4 or earlier with 7-digit postcodes added, together with a token few tweaks and new facilities that have not been thought through or properly tested.

When it first came out, Copilot must have had quite a Wow! factor, given its Waypoints and Optimize stops functions. Now, it is being left way behind because of its lack of basic facilities and a plethora or unaddressed faults that would lead users to consign even the cheapest shareware title quickly to the bottom drawer.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Teaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Favourite names Reply with quote

To edit your favourite names just look on the PPC for /copilot/save/favorite.lst, copy it to your PC, edit the names in Notepad or other text editor, and copy it back. Worked for me, but of course it's unofficial/unsupported!

What a dreadful user interface this software has...
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaman quite rightly suggests:

Quote:
…edit your favourite names… in Notepad or other text editor

Certainly, that's the workaround, but the point was, firstly, to highlight a bug on a bug thread and, secondly, to say more or less what you say in your closing paragraph:

Quote:
What a dreadful user interface this software has...

This software relies far too heavily on workarounds - where they are available- and the fact that users simply put up with many of the errors. There are those of us who would like the software to work logically and efficiently.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
toxotes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue with CP6. I am beginning to wonder why I bought this piece of *!$^^^%!
Not only is it not possible to set the routing to "shortest" but in addition I found out today that other routing options do not work either. For instance, despite setting motorways to "least favourite", CP6 still insists on routing using motorways.
And after choosing the "Going to...", "New trip" option, clicking on "Pick on Map" takes me to "Search Centre", where the options are "address", "favourite", "contact", and "POI". How is that related to picking anything on the map???
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Pick stops on map':
this feature frustrated me (and many others here too, I think) at the outset, but it can be made useful.
When selected from the Trip Edit window, CP just wants some user input to get to any arbitrary map point for starters. I put in any nearby city and "city center" as the quickest way to get to a map, and then I pan and zoom from there to pick my stop. Unfortunately CP prompts you with all the other possible ways to center the map on a known point, and some of these would take a long time to completely specify. Meanwhile, you've forgotten where you want to go or you can't see through the tears of rage.

A more friendly way to 'Pick Stop From Map' would be for CP to zoom immediately to a map showing the last stop entered or the last-mentioned point of any kind. Users want to see a map immediately when selecting this option.

It's easier to 'Pick Stop from Map' when you are already in one of the Map Views. As you have probably noticed, if you tap and hold on a street or intersection for 2 secs you get the popup option to "Add Stop". Unfortunately again this can be an annoyance when you are just tapping to see the name of the road. But when you get familiar with it, it is a convenient way to add waypoints to a trip or to modify the Auto Routing to take a path more to your liking.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Dscice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: ETA issue Cure Reply with quote

This has worked for me Laughing

To fix the ETA's, please follow the steps below:

1. Close Copilot
2. Click on Start-Programs-File Explorer
3. Browse to My Device-Storage Card-Copilot
4. Locate and rename the folder "SAVE" to "SAVEOLD"
5. Open CoPilot and test.

Regards,
Robert Raia
Copilot Technical Support
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
.... there is the same crazy routing as you try to put in waypoints on the Calais to Soissons run to try to pin it down to the sensible A26-D1 route. A 150 mile route is inflated to about 210 miles with all the loops and returns which CoPilot insists upon
Robin

I reported some months ago that Alk had emailed me to say that they were able to reproduce the same routing problems as I had told them about, and new Europe maps were being produced and would be sent out in a couple of weeks. Well, several promises later I was still waiting, but received a phone call on Tuesday to say they were in the post. A new set of CDs arrived today, and certainly the crazy routes I found on the original France map have now been corrected. I shall try it out for real next month, but fingers crossed!

Robin

PS The application version on the CD was 6.0.1.68, so I haven't bothered to change the installation in the PDA. It's only the maps which have been changed
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading Robin2's above post, I contacted ALK for my own revised map disks. Two of their agents verbally denied any knowledge of a map update, so I gave the second agent the link to Robin's post.

I have now received the following from ALK in writing:

Regarding our last conversation regarding a map update

Unfortunately, the information you sent to us are not correct.

The maps for Copilot 6 have not been updated since its release.

Obviously, this seems a bit strange to say the least. Is there any more you can add, please, Robin2
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what can I say! I have new maps, and the errors I reported last December in the France maps have been fixed! I shall use them in earnest in France in a few weeks, and will then discover if they are completely satisfactory. I'm not aware of any changes to the UK maps - but I didn't have any serious routing problems here.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll watch this with interest. I put in a complaint to ALK about French motorways on my return from France on Sunday (before I'd seen Robin's post), asking when they could update my maps. Received acknowledgment but no reply yet.

CP6 6.0.0.68
Pocket PC 4.20.0 Mio168
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 writes:

Quote:
Well, what can I say!

What indeed? I had no doubt that you would confirm that you do have revised maps, but had to raise the issue in view of the message from ALK.

What this shows, yet again, is that there is much more to a purchase than the physical product.

I would add that the agent told me that he would seek guidance from the head of ALK UK Technical Support before sending the message I quoted.

What now, I wonder?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
What now, I wonder?

So Robin2 has an updated map and ALK maintain that such a thing doesn't exist. Perhaps it's time for a representitive from ALK to respond in this forum.

Hey, I know. Dave Burrows now works for ALK, maybe he can intervene and resolve this... Smile
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy writes

Quote:
Hey, I know. Dave Burrows now works for ALK, maybe he can intervene and resolve this...

and I wrote:

Quote:
... the agent told me that he would seek guidance from the head of ALK UK Technical Support...

Could it be that we're talking about the same person?
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALK have " found it to be a mapping problem and that certain restrictions have been put the maps you have" and are sending me maps "with the mapping restrictions taken off", which is presumably what Robin2 has received.

I suspect this will also fix Paolo's problems and the Mont Blanc Tunnel problem referred to in the "CoPilot6 Routing Anomalies" thread.

I'll let you know when I get them[/url]

CP6 6.0.0.68
Pocket PC 4.20.0 Mio168
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redhorse writes:

Quote:
ALK have " found it to be a mapping problem and that certain restrictions have been put the maps you have" and are sending me maps "with the mapping restrictions taken off", which is presumably what Robin2 has received.

Yet, they still tell me that there are no revised maps!!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: