Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I know this is OT but

[quote="Skippy Confused Hosepipe ban, here we come.
Stay in Spain mate, the weather is crap here! :D [/quote]

Had a hosepipe ban in East Sussex since last summer. Possibility of standpipes this summer if things don't improve 8O

So definitely stay away from Sussex, edcamp. I think they're better prepared for drought in Spain!
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Off Road Reply with quote

I have to agree, and it SEEMS to be getting worse with the latest release

I don't KNOW if it is me, or just the destinations I am going on recently, but my Nuvi is taking me on roads that should only really be used if

a) they lead to a destination on that road

or

b) they are significantly quicker and shoter than any other option

I've got the avoids for unpaved roads ticked, and even suggested to Nuvi that I am a truck (which, luckily, I am not) hoping it would avoid roads which while not ideal for cars, isn't possible for trucks. But it just doesn't

It sends me down lanes and if I know the area, I avoid that way the alternative route using much better roads, and more often than not, then recalcs and displays a QUICKER ETA than before. Really doesn't make it logical

Garmin need to get this sorted, as like I said, it SEEMS to be getting worse with the latest upgrade (oh, and I have been using v8 maps too)
nevetas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selecting that your a truck only changes the ETA, i.e. makes you slower. It doesnt change the sort of roads you can go down.

Yesterday I had to go from Bluewater, to 5 lakes hotel near Tiptree. The route it took me on was shocking! I got to Kelvedon, where I could of just driven through Tiptree then to the club, but no! The nuvi sent me London bound on the A12, and back round the back doubles. 25 minutes later I had arrived about 5 minutes from where I started from!

I don't trust the unit anymore, it's OK where you know the way, but next month when I go Nurburgring I'll have to idea of the route, and I'll be in a very low car, I really am worried it's going to get me stuck on some mountain road!
DeeDubleYuh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevetas wrote:
Selecting that your a truck only changes the ETA, i.e. makes you slower. It doesnt change the sort of roads you can go down.
According to the manual (pdf available on0line) the "Vehicle" option allows you to "Specify your vehicle type to optimise routes."

That sounds like it prioritises different types of road, not just the the ETA. Does anyone have a categorical answer to this?

Nevetas: I realise this is rather obvious, but check that you haven't selected "Avoid Highways" by mistake. (Worth a shot!)
nevetas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope definatly dont have avoid highways ticked :D

I called Garmin earlier, was in a queue on hold for 15 minutes.

Greg V told me changing the vehicle option does not change the type of roads in put's you on.

Maybe I should select mine to 'emergency' Laughing
DeeDubleYuh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that explains why it recently tried to send me along an "Except for buses and taxis" road in Birmingham even though I was on my motorcycle (with "Car/motorcycle" selected)! Grrrr.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevetas wrote:

Well, actually it does. When my wife recently bought an i3 I found one route which went down some very iffy lanes. When I changed vehicle type from car/motorcycle to truck it picked a much more sensible route. She leaves it on truck all the time now

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry! I see you were talking about the Nuvi, whilst my reply referred to the i3 Embarassed
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
riggazone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: I like tracking Reply with quote

Does not seem to happen on major routes, more in the countryside. Went into Derby peaks Ashover and ended up milking a cow, herding a few sheep on quikest route through Barn and hen coope.

Still reversing for a mile to let a smilling tractor driver past was fun!

Barrr ohh arr:D
v8boyo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: mmmm change of mind Reply with quote

hi guys, was going to swap my go500 for a nuvi as had been told navteq maps were more accurate, but on reading the above posts will probably wait for the range from tomtom Laughing
nevetas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom tom is too bulky for my likeing, but would aggree the nuvi isnt the best purchase at the moment.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Nuvi Reply with quote

It is not that the Nuvi's Navteq Maps are not streets ahead of the Tom Toms TeleAtlas, they are. There is a problem with it's routing software, which Garmin need to correct...
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't know about UK but as far as Spain is concerned I find TeleAtlas maps are far more comprehensive than NavTech's maps.
v8boyo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: nuvi or tomtom Reply with quote

8O ok hi guys will be replacing my go500 in the next few weeks, but how will we/i know if they have sorted the routing software as tend not to believe the manufacturer, cant argue about the maping accuracy but doesnt the routing problem affect more than one model in the garmin range, have tried e-mailing them with no response so thought i would call them :x must say from my experience they seem for worse on the customer care side than tomtom.what would happen if i bought one and it insisted on taking me on long pointless routes think i would be on a bit of a sticky wicket so to speak Confused
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Hope Reply with quote

We would hope that the market leader in navigation would not let a major routing error stick around for too long...?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: