Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom on Navman
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom on Navman
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: TomTom on Navman Reply with quote

I've been trying TomTom navigator on my Navman for the last couple of days and thought that anyone considering this might like some feedback?? I did it 'cos I wanted to see what (if anything) I was missing.

First, it wasn' too painfull to set up. I backed up my 26mb SD card containing all of the Navman map and poi data and followed the instructions (not all that easy to follow) from GPS Passion.

I borrowed my mates TomTom software as he's just been given a Go 700 from work and he's not using his PDA anymore.

It installed ok, but I had one or two problems with the file browser disappearing off the edge of the screen?? Once tomtom was installed the navigator application fit the screen perfectly.

Got the map on ok and configured the gps as per the instructions elsewhere on these forums and bingo!!

So here are my observations:

1. the user interface is very good compared to the Navman.

2. the map scrolls very smoothly compared to the Navman map which jerks as you drive around corners.

3. day time colour schemes are about the same as the Navman, but the night time scheme is far better than the Navman.

4. the tomtom software doesn't diplay as much info (street names) as the Navman. I prefer to see all surrounding streets.

5. POI handling is far better on the tomtom.

6. voice instruction are better on the tomtom.

7. I "think" I prefer the routing options on the Navman, although I never really gave it some stick on the tomtom.

8. time to first fix is much faster with the tomtom software, even the first time is was switched on after the install. It also seemed to be able to aquire a fix sitting in the middle of my house!!

9. on the navman software, you get to see the house numbers for the side of the street you're driving down which I think is great - I couldn't find an option for this on the tomtom??

10. I prefer the Navnam system of menu navigation using the buttons to the right of the screen (it keeps the screen free from finger marks).

11. I really like that fact that the tomtom gives directions in yards, not feet.

In summary - I have reverted to the Navman software and I'm happy that I'm not really missing anything too drastic.

If only Navman would release an update that addressed a few issues such as better voice guidance, better poi management and better colour schemes it would be a fantastic system rather than a very good system (IMHO)
jfisher1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Good review Reply with quote

Vey nice review, Thank-You
Alan177
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,
I have the TomTom software and managed to get it all installed along with celebrity voices, but the main problem I had was where to put the map data and what the correct path/filename is. When I tried to run the TomTom software I just get the message ''Map data not found''
Any clues ??? Is it really worth trying to get TomTom running on Navman, as a major update is promised from Navman later this year ?

Smile
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions say to copy the map folder to the root of the SD card. I did this using a USB2 card reader 'cos it takes ages via active synch as I suspect the Navman is only USB1.1

I couldn't get any other voices on mine except the default "UK Jane"?? I'm sure I was doing something wrong. 'cos loads of people have said that they got voices onto it.

Is it worth doing?? Can't say really - I did it 'cos it was a challenge and I wanted to learn a bit more about pocket PC's.

TomTom is a VERY good, polished product, but personally I'm happy enough with the Navman, especially since I only paid £159 for it from Tesco. I use it for work and have to find addresses in towns and cities all over the place and it's never let me down. The nightmare of driving around Glasgow in the rain at night with an A to Z is but a distant memory (thank goodness)!!

I might try TomTom again, if my mate decides to sell me his gear, but it took me a while to figure the instructions out and then when you do a hard reset you lose it all !!

If Navman address the issues that loads of people have identified with their software, it will be a great product.

Lets hope that SmartST 2006 (or whatever they decide to call it) is a) worth the wait and b) worth the money.
Alan177
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmm. Could be because I have an Icn520 ? Dunno!!
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have thought so??

The 520 is still just a WinCE pocket PC - in fact it may have more memory than the 510??

Any one else shed any light on this??
DAZA19741
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO GEOFF_UK I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD ADVISE ME WHICH FORUM YOU FOUND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL TOMTOM ON MY NAVMAN ICN520. IVE GOT THE TOMTOM SOFTWARE AND, BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME CANT INSTALL IT ON MY 520. AS YOU CAN IMAGINE IM RATHER FRUSTRATED.. CAN YOU HELP. IT WOULD BE MUCH HELP TO ME. THANKYOU..
Geoff_UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26892&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Daza19741,

The instructions I followed are all in the thread above.

You need to be quite comfortable with the idea of changing some of the files on your 510/520 - it's nothing to worry about, because as soon as you reset the device with the battery switch on the back, it reloads the Navcar.exe file out of ROM and erases everything you've changed.

To make life easier, use a card reader and make a copy of the contents of your SD card (containing our Navman maps and poi files) and also make a copy of the "My Flash Disk" off the 510/520 via activesync.

you could try a thread on another website:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35945

but I have to admit that it jumps all over the place and is not easy to follow.

It took me about an hour to do it and it was worth the time just to learn a little more about WinCE and mobile devices in general.

I still stand by my original "review" in that I'm happy with SmartST, I just wish I could get 7 digit postcodes Sad

I really hope Navman do the right thing and release a good update.

Email me if you want any further help and if I can, I will !!
DAZA19741
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive been trying to install the tomtom on my navman but to no avail. do you think its to to with the tomtom software which is a copy of my mates original tomtom software for his pda, this also has a fix so it works. ive backed everything like the instructions say. and thats about as far as ive got. can anybody help me to install this on to my navman. i need it in laymans terms. even though the instruction seem to be simple. im still new to this game.

ta muchly. Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAZA19741 wrote:
tomtom software which is a copy of my mates original tomtom software for his pda, this also has a fix so it works.
Please don't ask for instructions as to how to load and enable what is illegal software, come back when you have purchased the software and own it in you own right, your mate might like to do the same thing, you shouldn't need a "fix" to get TomTom to work just the correct Product code - Mike
Saddam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I ve just install tom tom 5 on my navman iCN520, fix is ok but I have a problem with maps.
I ve copy the maps on SD but only Benelux map is work ok but what is it with rest of maps?? Navman did not detect it.
Can sb write my a instruction where should I copy it?
StorageCard\......?
Saddam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ve just discovered that the benelux map is on the gps memory, not on the SD, so my problem is with card.
The voices works corectly on SD.

Anybody help me?
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading.

I did a similar review of TomTom 5.0 vs Navman SmartST V3 a few months ago that you might be interested in reading.

A conclusion after using TomTom for a few more months is that its user interface is much better than that in Navman SmartST.

Another advantage with TomTom is that it continues to run in the background if you switch to another application on your PPC. This enables you to run another application, like some GPS status application, and still have voice guidance from TomTom in the background. SmartST will in these situations go to sleep (including the trip meter) until you make it the active application again. That is quite annoying. The odometer value in the trip meter will therefore display an incorrect value.

Despite these limitations in SmartST, I still think the maps are much clearer. I ordered the upgrade of SmartST (V3 to 2005) last Thursday and am hoping that a few of the obvious bugs in V3 (like the speed bug, mentioned in my previous review) have been solved.

Regards,
Ulf
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom on Navman Reply with quote

Geoff_UK wrote:

8. time to first fix is much faster with the tomtom software, even the first time is was switched on after the install. It also seemed to be able to aquire a fix sitting in the middle of my house!!

Just a small comment. Time To First Fix isn't dependant on the navigation software. It's the GPS receiver.

However, I have noticed that it takes about 10-15 seconds from acquiring a fix until TomTom detects it and starts using the data. In SmartST it takes only a couple of seconds. I wonder what takes TomTom so long. The most probable reason is that TomTom polls the GPS port until it detects that NMEA data is present. If this polling frequency was higher, it would probably be quicker.

/Ulf
Saddam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ppl!
I have next problem with TT5 on Navman 520.
I leave it on few days turn on and battery is discharge.
I know I should charge it, but my TT5 sotf is deleted from GPS's memory.
I steal have the maps on storage card. Sb told me that I should copy the TT5 software on Storage Card but I dont know which files?

Peace
Saddam

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: