Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Additional Maps - and use of them.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Additional Maps - and use of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimcallaghan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Additional Maps - and use of them. Reply with quote

Hi All. First post to feel free to prod & poke if I'm covering old ground here. I have an SPV C550 running TomTom Mobile 5. I want to buy the maps for mainland Europe as I plan to do some touring. If I have multiple maps, I understand that there is a Switch Map option in the menu, but my question is about the logistics of it.

Can I plan a route on my phone to Madrid from the UK? And, will the phone swap to the France map when I get accross the Channel and will it them automatically swap map when I hit northern Spain, or will I have to stop at the border and do it for myself? First part of the question is the main part I guess, the other is just me being lazy...

I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience of it, as it's not something I can easily test. Incidentally, TomTom themselves have not bothered to get back to me yet. Thanks in advance.

Jim
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

you can purchase individual country maps direct from tomtom
there is also the option to purchase the whole of western europe on a single memory card or cds
there are two types of country map a standard and a plus version that includes the major roads of western europe

regarding the border question

for example if you are going to spain you would load the spanish plus map at the start of you journey this would use the major roads of the uk and france to get you to the border in spain where you will the have street level mapping for the whole of spain (tom tom expect you to be able to get to the nearest majour uk road without guidance)

for the return trip you would load the uk plus map

hope this helps

erniew

ps when you have the maps installed you can plan and see the route on your phone witout leaving the house
jimcallaghan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I would have almost a reduced function for the UK until I reached the country of my destination? I'd be lead down to the Channel Tunnel in Kent OK? Sorry if I'm sounding like I've missed the point.
Jim
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could load the uk plus map this would take you all the way to spain and then switch to your spain map or you could load the france and spain map as well if you wanted to tour around france a little the uk plus map has full uk mapping plus full european major roads

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
jimcallaghan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. It's appreciated.
erniew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a further thought on this

if you know your final destination i would have thought that you would need to load the final destination country map so tomtom takes you in the most direct route to your destination

spain for example is a big country as indeed is france

i would not think that tomtom could direct you in the shortest route unless it knows exactly where you want to go

erniew CoPilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: