Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3 has stopped talking to me.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3 has stopped talking to me.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Garmin StreetPilot i3 has stopped talking to me..... Reply with quote

Hi There,

I've had a streetpilot for 6 months, running v2.70 all working just fine.

Got half way home from a longish journey the other day with it powered from cig lighter and it just stopped talking to me. Just like that - no other factors !

Now it will occasionally mumble something unintelligible with lots of distortion.

Has anyone any experience of this or even any suggestions ?

Many Thanks,

Chris
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin StreetPilot i3 has stopped talking to me..... Reply with quote

wildey wrote:
Hi There,

Got half way home from a longish journey the other day with it powered from cig lighter and it just stopped talking to me. Just like that - no other factors !

Now it will occasionally mumble something unintelligible with lots of distortion.

Many Thanks,

Chris

Backup any favourites you want to keep using easygps (won't preserve the case of the name, will all be uppercase when you restore - and delete the built-ins (ie the Garmin locations) from the easygps backup - else you'll get duplicates when you restore).

Then try switching the audio / voice settings to American and then back to British.

If that doesn't make any difference, do a hard reset, and be prepared to restore any of your favourite locations, and POIs you've loaded.

If that doesn't cure it, I suspect you are looking at a true fault, and you'll need to contact either where you bought it from, or Garmin for support under warranty.
wildey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: How do I do a hard reset ? Reply with quote

Hi,

How do I perform a hard reset on the i3 please ?

Chris
jeglet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33666
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you are using the 12v supply from your car, have you checked the 2 x 1.5v batteries are not flat. Sounds daft I know, but when my batteries go flat the unit doesn't always repond correctly until I put fresh ones in.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need batteries in the i3 for it to work....
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps..when using a 12 volt supply....
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
you dont need batteries in the i3 for it to work when using a 12 volt supply....

Quite a few people (myself included) have noticed that the i3 misbehaves when you're using the external power lead, and the batteries fitted in the unit are dead.

wildey wrote:

Sounds familiar. I've had the audio die on two units now (albeit both within the first week) - one just became progressively more and more distorted, and the other became distorted before giving up completely.

Try what others have suggested above - namely resetting the i3, and reloading the language setting. If that doesn't work, I suspect that you're looking at a hardware fault.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
zogman wrote:
you dont need batteries in the i3 for it to work when using a 12 volt supply....

Quite a few people (myself included) have noticed that the i3 misbehaves when you're using the external power lead, and the batteries fitted in the unit are dead.

you and others must have been unlucky then..i've used my i3 (with v2.50 firmware ..if that makes a difference?) with new,flat and without batteries using the car power supply with no problems....
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin StreetPilot i3 has stopped talking to me..... Reply with quote

wildey wrote:
Hi There,

Many Thanks,

Chris

Chris,
can you post the outcome regarding your mute I3, I'm considering buying a Garmin c320 which is also exhibiting this fault, if its hardware I'll leave it well alone.

Derek.
wildey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Mute machine...... Reply with quote

Hi,

Result was i spoke to Garmin who told me to send it in, they would reload the software and upgrade the maps for free at the same time and return it - all within 5 working days.

Their customer service was awesome.

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: