Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio A701
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio A701
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only got 1 screen protector too. Crying or Very sad
Gazbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone come across a decent program for writing text messages? Preferably with a phone keypad style screen and predictive text so I can do em one-handed?
marv2097
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing_Snake wrote:
No, bit it is a bit flimsy isn't it. One (minor) query I had - the leaflet with it says you should get 3 screen protectors, but I only got 1. Was I just unlucky, or is that normal?

I only got one. Is it even a real screen protector? I just thought it was part of the packaging as its bigger than the screen.. Does anyone know if/where u can buy the propper silicone ones you can get for most PDAs? Been looking around but cant find any?

Have any of you guys had problems with the Mio freezing? Mine seems to lock up an average of once a day and its really getting anoying!
Gazbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No freezing as yet, but only had it since yesterday.

One thing of concern, I left it on overnight. From fully charged it was dead in the morning. Suspect I left some programs running though.

The screen protector comes separately, it's not that bit of plastic on the screen when you get it out of the box.

Freezing I'm led to believe is very common on WM5 phones. I know two people that have the O2 XDA Mini S and they also have freezing problems. I have no doubt a firmware update will appear to resolve this sooner or later though.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tupac_777: Are you in any way associated with Supertrader? Apart from posting from the same IP address that is...
Gazbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a great little utility for text messaging. It's called Tengo Thumb and it lets you enter text etc one-handed. Takes a little getting used to, but if, like me you don't always have two hands free to operate your phone it's great.

Well worth the $12.95 costs.

It's so good I've started using it as my default way of handling most of my text entry, only getting the stylus out for precision work.

http://www.tengo.net/tengo_thumb.html
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's frozen a couple of times in the five days I've had it: once in TomTom when I was planning a route and the second time when I was playing around in the settings (can't remember what I was doing exactly.) Two things I've noticed that are probably more WM5 problems than Mio ones are:

- it doesn't seem very keen to uninstall programs. I installed the three Mio bonus ones and there doesn't seem to be a way to uninstall them - they don't even show up in the Remove Programs list. I also tried Checkpoint and although it was in the list, it wouldn't uninstall.

- clicking the cross on an application doesn't actually close it. It still stays in memory so you have to periodically go to Running Programs and close all.

No doubt the little niggles will eventually be sorted out with an upgrade, but the convenience of having a phone, PDA and SatNav all in one unit still far outways any small problems.
Gazbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing puzzles me slightly. I know TMC is Traffic Message Channel, but how does it work? And how does it integrate with your Sat Nav software of choice? Be that MioMap or TomTom or whatever?
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I couldn't work out why there's an option to turn off TMC on the A701. As far as I know there isn't a built-in receiver (is there?), and unless you can plug it in to the USB port, I don't see how you could connect.
murf62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen Protectors
marv2097
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i definately didnt get any screen protectors! bummer.

Ive tried uninstalling programs and have never got any success. Does anyone know if there is a way to completely refresh the software and OS back to its factory state?

Also. The X button on windows mobile isnt meant to close the app just hide it. If you want to close it you have to go into the memory settings area and stop the program. You can also get SPB Pocket Plus which lets you change the X so it does close the apps.

I have just installed Memory Map software with a marine chart which seems to work well. Still no sign of mio map tho... hope it arrives soon Sad
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can do a hard reset; I can't remember how off the top of my head, but it's in the manual somewhere. I don't know if you'd lose the Mio Menu though (not that it would be a great loss!)

Has anyone manage to successfully change the IE home page? I've changed mine to Google, but every time I open IE it defaults to mio-tech.be, which I don't want as it's a fairly heavy page to load over GPRS.
murf62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, changed my homepage no problem. I do use SPB pocket plus though so maybe that helped? It does change a few IE settings.

Magic Button is a brilliant little app to get the close button to do what it's supposed to do & best of all, it's free![/url]
GFI-Al
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing_Snake wrote:

Has anyone manage to successfully change the IE home page? I've changed mine to Google, but every time I open IE it defaults to mio-tech.be, which I don't want as it's a fairly heavy page to load over GPRS.

Use internet explorer from the main programs menu NOT the internet explorer shortcut from the Mio menu, unless you know of a way of editing that shortcut.

If you use the programs /internet explorer it will use the home page you set.
Goncalo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You can buy the new Mio A701 and pay with Credit Card or by wire transfer.

Mio A701

Unbelievable is very experienced in selling to Europe and is known by its fast delivery and competitive prices.

Gonçalo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: