Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio A701
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio A701
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: MIO New Products! Reply with quote

The debut of Mio's mass GPS device roll-out is reportedly set for next month's CeBIT show in Hannover, Germany.
The line-up includes two GPS pocket PC's; the P350 and the P550, and four dedicated navigation systems, the Mio C710, C510E, C210, and H610. The debut of Mio's mass GPS device roll-out is reportedly set for next month's CeBIT show in Hannover, Germany.
The P550 will feature a 400MHz CPU, SiRFstar III GPS receiver, WiFi, Bluetooth, SDIO, and Windows Mobile 5.0 – specs you cannot argue with. Unfortunately, the P350 is WiFi and Bluetooth-free.

Posted @

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk
Samsung Galaxy S11
Samsung Galaxy s3
Galaxy s4
Galaxy s5
Galaxy tab s
The penalty for bigamy is two Mother-in-Laws
Mamadou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the release is really close or ASAP ..

Cheers,
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any opinions on which SatNav software to go for with the A701?

Expansys are doing it with MioMap for £439.95, or without SatNav for £389.95. Would I be better off using MioMap, or is something like TomTom Mobile or Checkpoint better? The only problem I can see is that you can't seem to get TomTom Mobile without it bundled with a BT GPS.
Solo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Mitac A701 Reply with quote

As it is a PCC/ Phone you should be able to use which ever navigation you prefer.
Samsung Galaxy S11
Samsung Galaxy s3
Galaxy s4
Galaxy s5
Galaxy tab s
The penalty for bigamy is two Mother-in-Laws
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mitac A701 Reply with quote

Solo wrote:
As it is a PCC/ Phone you should be able to use which ever navigation you prefer.

That was my question really. I've only ever used a Garmin i3 so I was wondering what people's opinions were on Mio Map vs TomTom, Checkpoint etc.
marv2097
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ive just ordered the A701 with Mio Map and it should be here sat mornin! Hope its all its cracked up to be.

Shame it hasnt got the wifi but im sure i can manage with the SDIO card for that.
marv2097
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible to upload the speed camera database into Mio Map v2 and what format it is in??

Regards

Martin
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marv2097 wrote:
Well ive just ordered the A701 with Mio Map and it should be here sat mornin! Hope its all its cracked up to be.

Be sure to let us know. Please!
Mamadou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-->marv2097
I add my voice to MrGumby's .... please let us know about it and do a min-review if you can please. Thanks.

Cheers,
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My was delivered today, and I've just been to the office to pick it up. First impressions? Absolutely bleeding gorgeous!! It's still charging, but I've had a quick play:

- Feels very solid. The back is dimpled, so it's extremely comfortable to hold.
- Menus and applications very responsive. The only time I've noticed any lag is when I switch the screen orientation.
- Mio not shy on the accessories: case, headphones, car mount, car charger, usb cable, screen protectors, AC power adaptor. No written instructions apart from a very brief 'quick start guide', the full manual is on CD.

I bought mine preinstalled with TomTom so I didn't have to go through any of the installation shenanigans - it just works:

- I'm able to get a signal indoors, away from the window.
- Screen size is the same width as my Garmin i3 (bought obviously longer)
- Volume at 100% is just a shade quieter than than the i3 on 5 (full volume).

I'll give it a proper workout tomorrow when it's charged and I've read the instructions, and I'll give it a fuller review then (and try and post some pictures), but so far, so good.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing_Snake wrote:
The only problem I can see is that you can't seem to get TomTom Mobile without it bundled with a BT GPS.

This is not a problem at all since the Mio is NOT a smartphone. it is a Pocket PC Phone Edition, and you need TomTom Navigator, not TomTom Mobile

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
tupac_777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing_Snake wrote:
Does anyone have any opinions on which SatNav software to go for with the A701?

Expansys are doing it with MioMap for £439.95, or without SatNav for £389.95. Would I be better off using MioMap, or is something like TomTom Mobile or Checkpoint better? The only problem I can see is that you can't seem to get TomTom Mobile without it bundled with a BT GPS.

hi ive used both tom tom 5 and mio map on the a701 and my advice to you is to go for the mio map. There are several reasons why realy, first of all the mio map when navigating you can use it as a wide screen whereas the tom tom navigator 5 you can not onn the A701, and with it being a smaller screen this is very useful I found. Also the mio map software is much more detailed when navigating, as specially in voice terms, the voice will tell you which lane you need to be when approaching a round about or traffic lights, whereas the tom tom does no. I found that the tom tom will disintoriate at times aswell. Graphically the mio map is visaully better, clearer and easy to follow.

I got my a701 mio map bundle from supergps.co.uk for a good price if havnt got yours yet that is?
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine yesterday - I went with TomTom, rightly or wrongly because of the 7 digit postcode support. I used it on the way to work this morning and it seemed fine. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by widescreen, but you can rotate the display using TomTom on the A701.
Gazbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to get myself one of these sexy A701's.

Where's the cheapest place to buy with MioMap v2 installed? I currently use TomTom on an SPV C550 Smartphone which has given me a years good service, but as this is a PocketPC I'm gonna need to shell out on some new mapping software too. I like what I've read in the reviews about Miomap, seems it's voice directions are tons clearer than TomToms.

Still, at least the missus can have my old phone so she gets a free SatNav system. So no a total loss. Jammy girl.
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two negatives so far:

- doesn't support voice dialling.
- MS ActiveSync is a pile of poo.

The first one isn't a dealbreaker, but it would have been nice to have. The second one is, and the A701's going back if I can't resolve it. I'm trying to sync contacts and calendar in Outlook 2002 and the A701. The first time it seems to sync fine, but it's missing half my contacts. Subsequent syncs don't synchronise any changes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: