Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the New range of GO devices one week before
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the New range of GO devices one week before
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Well PHP usually allows edits very easily. I've installed a couple of instances myself.

Indeed it does and in some forums we have enabled it. However we ported many old forums and threads some time ago during a server and host move and if memory serves me correctly there is an issue with these that is causing the issue as well as concern about flame threads were posters say one thing then edit it out, this causes confusion.

I'm for it where it is possible to allow it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uocooper wrote:
Does anyone remember a post on the CeBIT blog where they talked with a Teleatlas rep about the text to speech being part of the map? I can't seem to find any mention of it now.

I posted that and deleted it. I had wrongly assumed the TTS voices were TeleAtlas's, they weren't and to avoid further confusion (TomTom were getting barraged with questions on the subject!), I deleted it. Nice to know someone actually reads them though!

The voices are TomTom's, the phoneme's that they use to calculate how to say a word are TeleAtlas's.

BTW, the TTS voices consume 4GB, yes 4GB of space! Hence why they are 910 only. And TomTom marketing got it wrong, the 20GB 910 has only 12GB free after voices and map data.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crockers wrote:
Are Tom Tom going to charge for their camera base?

Oh yes, one month free with the new unit then £60 a year and still no commitment to how often the updates will be available.
Frankamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Darren"]
uocooper wrote:
BTW, the TTS voices consume 4GB, yes 4GB of space! Hence why they are 910 only. And TomTom marketing got it wrong, the 20GB 910 has only 12GB free after voices and map data.

Could you explain how the iPod music is uploaded to the 910 MP3 player? Is the music converted to MP3's or do I just use the dock to copy them to the hard drive?

Is the MP3 player stereo ( I assume the 910 sound is mono -one speaker)? Also, is the output of the 910 a line out or a proprietary connector? Any photos of mount, connections, interface cables, etc.

My car stereo also has a cassette player. Will it be possible to use a cassette adapter to get stereo sound through the auto stereo system? If so, will the music stop when warnings are issued or directions offered?

Lastly, I'll be in Amsterdam in a few days. Is the 910 available there and are they any issues (language, power, etc.) purchasing it there and using here?

Frank
Ugly-Kid-Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any estimates of how long the battery will last? Just using it for navigation.
matstand
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: when is the go 510 available Reply with quote

and how much will it actually cost?
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D So have TomTom commited to suppling a review unit and when, or more to the point when will the review be published ?

Final question, has TomTom confirmed that the RDS TMC receiver will be available and work in the UK ? ? ? They have announce that there will be a TMC receiver but like Navigon it may not be available to UK customers ?
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad Bad news UK customers ripped off AGAIN.....TomTom didn't announce this as well as their new GO range.....

As I expected :

Note: the TMC signals are not free in the UK, and a subscription is required to be able to receive them.
http://www.mytomtomgo.com/vervolg.php?id=127
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Evil or Very Mad Bad news UK customers ripped off AGAIN.....TomTom didn't announce this as well as their new GO range.....

As I expected :

Note: the TMC signals are not free in the UK, and a subscription is required to be able to receive them.

I think it will be the one off subscription though - not a monthly on as with the GPRS service.

Chris
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

As I expected :

Well, if no governmental body offers an RDS-TMC service in the UK, as opposed many of the other European countries, that's not really Tomtom's fault...

In the Italian version of the news from the Tomtom site we read:
"TomTom ha aggiunto un TomTom RDS/TMC Traffic Receiver all’elenco degli accessori disponibili, permettendo agli utenti di ricevere gratuitamente informazioni sul traffico attraverso il segnale radio."

which means:
"TomTom has added a TomTom RDS/TMC Traffic Receiver to the list of available accessories, enabling users to receive free of charge traffic info through radio signals."
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, could we have a side by side photo of an x00 unit and an x10 unit?

Maybe even a One... Laughing
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiley1081 wrote:
BTW, could we have a side by side photo of an x00 unit and an x10 unit?

Maybe even a One... Laughing

No need, I have found a diagram on MyTomTomGo...

http://www.mytomtomgo.com/tomtom_go_910.php
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiley1081 wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:

As I expected :

Well, if no governmental body offers an RDS-TMC service in the UK, as opposed many of the other European countries, that's not really Tomtom's fault...

"TomTom ha aggiunto un TomTom RDS/TMC Traffic Receiver all’elenco degli accessori disponibili, permettendo agli utenti di ricevere gratuitamente informazioni sul traffico attraverso il segnale radio."

which means:
"TomTom has added a TomTom RDS/TMC Traffic Receiver to the list of available accessories, enabling users to receive free of charge traffic info through radio signals."

From what I gather, isn't Navman's 550 available in the UK with a TMC receiver that is subscription-free? If so, why not Tom Tom?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:

As I expected :

As far as I can see, this is an assumption being made by www.mytomtomgo.com , I can't see any evidence on www.tomtom.com .
smiley1081 wrote:

which means:

In the English version of the news from the Tomtom site we read:
www.tomtom.com wrote:
Providing free traffic information via radio signals, the RDS/TMC Traffic receiver receives and decodes traffic information for the TomTom GO, ensuring customers can travel from A to B with ease.
and
www.tomtom.com wrote:
The TomTom RDS/TMC Traffic Receiver works by using TMC signals that are received through a normal FM radio antenna and broadcast free of charge by national or regional providers.
and
www.tomtom.com wrote:
With the new TomTom GO range (910/710/510) and a one-off payment for the TomTom RDS/TMC Traffic Receiver....

Simon1 wrote:
From what I gather, isn't Navman's 550 available in the UK with a TMC receiver that is subscription-free? If so, why not Tom Tom?

A few years ago I had a Becker in-dash SatNav unit which I could tell (there was an indicator) was receiving TMC if I tuned to Classic FM. It could not use the info for routing because, if I remember correctly, the map data provider had not paid to include the TMC data with the maps. I believe that shortly afterwards, an updated map disk became available which contained the data, and the unit was then able to use the TMC data.

My understanding therefore is that, TMC data is not free but that the subscription is paid by TomTom, who absorb this as part of what they'll charge for "a one-off payment for the TomTom RDS/TMC Traffic Receiver". I presume that Navman do the same thing.

Of course, I could be completely wrong ... Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have just released this video demo of the new Go 910:

http://www.gpsreview.net/
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 11 of 23

Jump to: