Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will US car power adapters work in UK and foreign cars?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will US car power adapters work in UK and foreign cars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug_dorbuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Will US car power adapters work in UK and foreign cars? Reply with quote

Hello all, I know this is a easy question but since I have never driven outside my country I have no idea if the cigarette lighter adapters I power my PDA with will work in european cars. I am visiting Great Britain in a few months and I plan on taking my pda with TomTom software. My pda gets it's power via the standard car lighter adapter plug. Will this work in a foreign auto? I know home power requirements are different than what we have here in the US.

Thanks for any info.

Doug
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, rest assured that your sat nav will work just fine in a UK based car, there are no differences in this respect, unlike the domestic supplies that are different, bring a travel addapter though in order to charge the PDA from the hotel etc. Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Will US car power adapters work in UK and foreign cars? Reply with quote

doug_dorbuck wrote:
Hello all, I know this is a easy question but since I have never driven outside my country I have no idea if the cigarette lighter adapters I power my PDA with will work in european cars. I am visiting Great Britain in a few months and I plan on taking my pda with TomTom software. My pda gets it's power via the standard car lighter adapter plug. Will this work in a foreign auto? I know home power requirements are different than what we have here in the US.

Thanks for any info.

Doug

Yes it should work OK.

But most rental companies over here are now buying cars without the cigarette lighter socket to try and stop smoking in their cars.

Need to check when hiring the car if that's what you intended doing.

But some still have accessory sockets which are the same, just a blank pushed into the socket.
doug_dorbuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Keep yours eyes out for the american totally out of his element driving on the wrong side of the road come June 1st. Actually the lovely wife is doing most of the driving since she hails from England, just dont tell her!

Laughing Out Loud

Thanks again.

Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: