Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK WiFi Hotspots
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK WiFi Hotspots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: UK WiFi Hotspots Reply with quote

I've created an update-to-date collection of WiFi hotspots in the UK for all operators (9468 POIs):

www.markhorgan.com/downloads/UK_WiFi_Hotspots.zip

I've prefixed the operator codes to each POI so when looking for your nearest T-Mobile hotspot you can type in TM (operator codes are in the readme file)

I submitted this collection a few weeks ago to the site but got no response - not sure why.

I'm thinking of creating a little utility that would filter any set of POIs to a user defined region - would this be useful to anybody? Does Navigator do filtering already? Is there a tool like POIEdit that does this already? Does loading up all of the UK POIs consume a lot more memory when you just need them for London?

I've only figured out how to get POIs from UK postcodes but you get WiFi POIs for Europe and US on TomTom's site for €13 each.

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/pois.php

Has anybody figured out how to convert postcodes from other countries to coordinates?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: UK WiFi Hotspots Reply with quote

MarkH wrote:
I've created an update-to-date collection of WiFi hotspots in the UK for all operators (9468 POIs):

Thanks, very useful. Thumbs Up

MarkH wrote:
I'm thinking of creating a little utility that would filter any set of POIs to a user defined region ... Is there a tool like POIEdit that does this already?

Like this?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
MarkH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like this?

Yes Smile but it would also let you define the region using top-left and bottom-right points of a rectangle - basically, so you could have the POIs just cover the map you are using at the moment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: