Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One or 510 for Macintosh user?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One or 510 for Macintosh user?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frankamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: TomTom One or 510 for Macintosh user? Reply with quote

I am one of the three Macintosh users in the UK. I immigrated with it from America about six months ago.

I am a novice to the realm of GPS's and have been trying to learn enough to make an informed purchase.

I had decided to purchase the One, has Mac support (or so it says), until I found this site.

I just want to get from one obscure place to another with the least amount of problem and frustration. Getting around in the UK is much different than the readily marked roads and streets in America. Using pubs and structures as landmarks is very confusing, but the Ale is wonderful (when stopping at the pub to ask directions). I'm located near Bolton and Manchester.

Getting speed camera (not legal in some parts of America) and traffic information would be nice. Don't mind paying for your subscription, £19/year. if it works with my Mac. How does the 510 get road conditions? If an additional piece of hardware is required what is it's cost?

Does the 510 support the Mac? The work dock feature sounds great, if it will work with the Mac. Will your databases integrate with the dock, Mac, and 510?

I'm far from Posh, as you say in the UK, and I want to spend my £'s judiciously. That said, if the 510 is a better value, and compatible with the Mac, then I don't mind spending the extra £100 quid. The One is £255 with case and main power supply, delivered from Dixon's. While the 510 is about £356, delivered, from a recommended internet site.

I need advice as to which to purchase. Does the 510 come with power supply and case? Does it support text-to-speech? How does the 510 integrate with the car radio to enable iPod sound?

Basically, is the 510 worth £100 more than the One and why?

I realize that I've asked many questions but I'm relying on the forums population to help me with my decision.

Thank you,

Frank Amon
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has seen a 510 yet, so a full answer will need to wait a while. I have a 700 and a Mac. You can read the TomTom card or hard disc on the Mac and and make backups just by drag and drop to a new folder on the desktop. There is a TomTom .dmg file for installing system upgrades, but they have not yet added a Mac installer for downloaded maps.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Frankamon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I received an e-mail from EasyDevices.co.uk stating that the original press releases stipulated text-to-voice for all the new GO's, but he won't know for sure until he has one in his possession.

Didn't know about Mac support.

They may not ship until May or later, some delay from TomTom for UK units. I'm such an instant gratification type of guy - waiting is hard. I may cave and go for the One.

Don't know if new maps come with the new Go's. Are maps free downloads from TomTom or do you have to pay for your 700's maps and software downloads?

Will firmware 6 be available, for free, for your 700 and maybe the One?

Thanks,

Frank
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to now system upgrades have been free and map upgrades have been charged.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
jothebulb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank -

I use my TomTom One with a G5 iMac at home, and the software for backing up, adding voices etc. works just fine. I've tinkered with adding maps etc., but have done this by using a card reader, rather than TT's installation software, ad again, no problems with the Mac.

I reckon you might be out on the calculations on the humber of Mac users in this country. My company is all Mac, and there are seven of us...

Jo
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the TomTom ONE with a Mac, the software works fine.

Would imagine the 510 would be fine too...
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would imagine the 510 would be fine too...

I agree, the 510 and 910 should be good to go.
I know that these are kind on an unknown commodity, but we have seen the specs, and it should be mac-friendly. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: