Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 = awful?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 = awful?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomo1340
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When travelling along the A65 from Oxenholme to Kendal you come to a roundabout by ASDA, the first exit takes you up a road which is apparantly no access for motor vehicles, the second exit being straight on towards Kendal and the 3rd exit being into ASDA. It tells you to take the 1st exit but the map clearly shows you taking the second exit. I know this is because the road is closed to motor vehicles but it can be very confusing.

Also, travelling from Carnforth to Burton you come to a roundabout where the 1st exit takes you towards Kendal, the second takes you to Burton and the third takes you into a caravan park. The second exit is more of about 2 or 3 O'Clock if you imagine the roundabout to be a clock face but the instructions tell you to 'turn around where possible' whereas the map shows you driving over the roundabout and taking the second exit.

These two errors and the fact they have the name of my Street wrong are the only two problems I have encountered and I use it everyday for work.
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

What happens if you take the third exit and follow instructions?

I think in this instance it tried to get me to make 4 lefts to get back to where I started (I couldn't do a u-turn as the road was a dual carriageway) but these were such long roads it would have taken me 10 minutes to get back to that rounabout - often I really can't afford this sort of delay, especially when I may later reveal (as it did in this instance) that after getting back on the intended road I'd be prompted to turn up a foot path (this was into a park btw!).

At this point I decided to head back in the general direction I knew the destination town was (opposite from the way TT5 was leading me btw but I assumed it knew what it was doing), which added another 10 minutes. So there I am, 20 minutes driving and right back where I started.

Don't get me wrong, I'm don't want to bitch about a product for the sake of it and I know it'll get me to a place eventually but it's supposed to save time and hassle and it does the exact opposite.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Lost Property says about not including roads closed to traffic. I assume he means the roads that are shown as white & purple dashed lines on the map screen.

What I don't understand is that most of these roads (in my experience) ARE open to traffic and should form part of the navigation instruction.

If not, then what is the point of actually having them on the map ?

However, it seems to be contradictory because there is an instance where there is a road closed to traffic (which is a very short road leading into a pub car park), which is 20 yds before a T-Junction. In this example, TT instructs me to take the 2nd left. So it actually counts this road as valid.

So, why not the road in my roundabout example.

Very confusing.

Baz
Confused
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assume he means the roads that are shown as white & purple dashed lines on the map screen.

Yep, they are the ones. Choosing walking or cycling route will send you along them. Quite often it is OK to drive along these roads for access but maybe they are not classified e.g. Set a route to Dawlish Warren Beach.

Just thought of checking the Liverpool addresses with Autoroute2002.

1st Roundabout 2nd exit.
2nd Roundabout 2nd exit.

Oh well, I give up.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is important is what you physically see on the ground and relating the instruction to what is actually there. And not what TomTom or Tele Atlas think exists or not.

So, if a roundabout has 4 exits, the fact that 2 of them may go into retail parks is irrelevant. There are still 4 exits, no matter how much you want to imagine there are only 2 Exclamation

Still confused Confused

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
goof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my instance all the roundabout roads are 'proper' accessible roads.
Also, when I'm approaching this 3 lane, 5 exit roundabout it is not practical to have to 2nd guess the TT5 and view the OSD whilst actually driving round this busy roundabout.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's

Quote:
I'm seriously considering getting rid of it and buying a map.

for you then. Rolling Eyes
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goof wrote:
In my instance all the roundabout roads are 'proper' accessible roads.
Also, when I'm approaching this 3 lane, 5 exit roundabout it is not practical to have to 2nd guess the TT5 and view the OSD whilst actually driving round this busy roundabout.

Can you tell us where the roundabout is so we can all have a look at TomTom's wrongness?
tonyO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just joined the forum because I have used TT3 for some years in the UK, but now the maps are getting too much out of date, so I'm looking for a replacement system. I borrowed TT5 to try it out but found it to be less useable than an old fashioned paper map, its almost uncontrollable because the menus are so poor. Does anyone know of a system / Navigator that is as contollable as TT3 and does what you tell it to do ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: