Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vanishing voice problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vanishing voice problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gee-Pee"]
nalagnik wrote:
Surprised and encouraged that you got response from support. I did get acknowledgements that they got my emails but they never replied. In answer to their response that perhaps there was nothing to say about the roads, that is not the problem as usually on a long straight road guidance voice will say something every 10 miles Rolling Eyes There is another symptom that comes up at the same time as voice going AWOL in that the distance which is being refreshed at the bottom right hand of 3D screen e.g. SIM then 89 miles changes to SIM and - and the top left hand of the 3D screen (next turn) is no longer refreshed either. The 3D screen continues to proceed normally AND safety camera alarms DO sound until the destination is reached. The guidance voice is still sound asleep at the end of the journey Laughing The journey I have been simulating is from South Edinburgh to Newcastle.

Well, another very quick response from Navman. To be fair to them they have tested the route I gave them and they find nothing wrong with it. It was a predominantly Motorway route and you will not expect continuous voice guidance other than reminders about every 20 miles(?) or so.
I note your simulated route was also mainly motorway, too.
I then ran a SIM on a cross country route where continuous voice instructions would be expected. No problem at all - I ran it for about 15 minutes and voice did not fail at all.
Could you choose a cross country route from your home and try again. Remember to reset you preferences to ensure you don't use any Motorways.
It that works OK, I suggest you have no problem Wink
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Gee-Pee thanks for hanging in there. I too have had support emails now arriving. One explains that the autolock.rgn file is a factory thing for pre registration and don't worry that it doesn't appear on new maps. The vanishing voice they are taking up with base at NZ for comment as it's been heard of before. My 'test route' uses no motorways at all ! But I have had this problem appear on other routes, but here are the details. iCN520 on external power. SD Card UK (navman supplied). No avoids ticked. Route sliders 75% , 75%, 50%. Demonstration mode ticked.
Journey Start: Pendreich Grove, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian.
55 52' 54.7" N
3 05' 47.9" W
Destination: Vine Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne.
54 58' 38.7" N
1 36' 44.6" W
Route Calculations give the following roads: A6094, B6373, A68, A696, A167, B6338, B1318.
ETA: (real time) 2:05 hrs (1:15 hrs in SIM mode) 98.1 miles.
I ran this journey three times tonight (in front of a video camera). I have other things to get on with Laughing and it completed this trip once without a problem. A second time it fell asleep for one minute after 40 minutes running but recovered. The third trip the fault occurred after 12 minutes and recovered after 27 minutes.
The fault shows up first on the 3D screen in that the bottom right hand showing normally SIM then XX miles displays SIM and - ft. The top of the screen normally showing the First Exit: Current road now shows the road at the beginning of the journey. The voice vanishes under these conditions but the safety camera alarms still sound. Tonight the voice returned when the 3D screen refreshes returned to normal. But other days when I have tried this route once the fault ocurrs it usually hasn't recovered and the 3D screen gets to it's destination but no voice. Sad
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The vanishing voice they are taking up with base at NZ for comment as it's been heard of before. My 'test route' uses no motorways at all !

Well I'm pleased to hear they are taking it seriously. From all the detail you have given, it does seem that you have a problem in the demo mode. We do of course have different units but they should not behave so differently. Maybe, just maybe you could have a rogue unit Question I have to go silent for about 10 days now but I shall follow the thread with interest. Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: