Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP WITH LOADING CITY NAVIGATOR V8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP WITH LOADING CITY NAVIGATOR V8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yam25904
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: HELP WITH LOADING CITY NAVIGATOR V8 Reply with quote

Help!!! I have just received City Nav v8 from garmin and unlocked it, loaded it to my Map source software on my pc, but cant load it on to my Quest 1. it says insufficient memory, do I have to remove City Select v6 from the Quest? How do I do that and how can I load CN v8 on to my quest. The manuals are not very clear on this. Thanks for any help. Confused
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't load the whole of CN8 to a quest you need to select map segments on your PC and load them to the Quest.
yam25904
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for above I finally ploughed through my manuals and figured it out. However as the 'amount' of maps I can download to my Quest is limited does it mean that I dont get sat nav coverage in area that I havent downloaded a map for. Thing is in June off round europe on my bike and as I now know I can only load a certain amount of CN maps will I get directions on other areas??? As you can see i am new at this. ie I download maps for the French Alps area but end up in Germany. Will the quest still give me routes etc in Germany?? Confused
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
sorry for slow reply. There are two schools of thought about touring on a bike in Europe No 1 says lets go down the piage /autbahn and go to an area like the Rhone Alps or whatever in which case you don't need GPS to get there as its a no brainer from the channel ports onto motorway as the signs are good to the motorways and all you need is the road number and the junction number you are going to exit from and you only need GPS in the area you are going in which case you don't need much memory. The 2nd School of thought is lets see the countryside and take the smaller roads and do some stops on the way in which case you will need more memory. In your case the decision might be made for you however what I would be inclined to do, is do your complete route on the PC highlight the map segments the route is going through, each time you highlight a map segment it will tell you how much memory the map segment is you can add all these segment memorys up to give you an idea of how much you will need. I think that the Quest has 512k of memory although I am not sure how much of this is taken up by the OS and base map. If you let me know roughly were you are going I can work out how much memory you will need. You will probably be suprised at how much you will get into the unit doing it this way.

cheers Bob
yam25904
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for reply, actually we tour europe every year and have done for the last 5 years, we NEVER do autoroutes/peage as the A roads are superb, but this will be the first year with sat nav, the piles of Michelin maps was just taking up too much space!!!!
Ihad considered your suggestion anyway but sometimes when we are over there we prefer to be more 'fluid' and not be tied to a specific route/itinery. My only concern now is if we go into an area that is only covered by the base map on the Quest will it be good enough to nav with, ie find hotels, fuel etc??? Confused
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yam25904
sorry did not mean to preach to the converted Embarassed as I have been a sadle tramp round Europe for the last 10 years myself. I think I am right in saying that the base map only has A roads and Motorways maybe have a look on Elsinga's site for a bit more Info you will find the link on this forum if you look for his posts. Its a good one to have in your favorites if you have a Quest or Quest2 anyway.

cheers Bob
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

yam25904 wrote:
My only concern now is if we go into an area that is only covered by the base map on the Quest will it be good enough to nav with, ie find hotels, fuel etc??? Confused

No, the basemap sucks. Crying or Very sad

As difficult as it may be, your best bet is to carefully consider the areas you will tour in and load those areas into the Quest. They don't have to be joined up, you can load London and Paris but nothing inbetween, for example.

You can upload 243 meg of maps which should cover most of France. Highlight the map segments you want in Mapsource and have a look at the Maps tab and it will tell you how much space you need. Any existing maps will be deleted when you upload the new ones.

There is a more expensive Quest2 which has full maps of Europe preloaded. (It also does POI alerts for speed cameras).

Good luck!
yam25904
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys, looks like I'm going to have to uprgrade to a Quest 2, anyone want to buy a hardly used (never been on the bike yet), Quest 1??? Bigbob I notice you bought the Quest 2 is it worth the extra? I really cant be bothered humping around a laptop on bike trips, and I understand the Quest 2 comes with most of Europe pre loaded with CN8!! Is that right ?
dodgydel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote "anyone want to buy a hardly used (never been on the bike yet), Quest 1???"

Hi Yam, Not sure if you really are going for the Quest 2, but I may be interested in your Quest 1.... Wink
yam25904
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yes I am almost certainly going for the Quest 2, I need a system that can hold the whole of Europe!!! My Quest 1 was bought new in August 2005 and has the brand new City Navigator v8 dvd and all the other extras, ie car bracket, ac charger, usb cable, map source software, original boxes etc. I have only used the system a couple of times ( in my car) not used it on my bike yet as I was waiting to wire it into my Autocom system. I will be listing it on Ebay on thu 09/03 as it is 10p listing day, when I do I will post the link on this forum, cheers gary. Smile
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yam25904
I had a look at the coverage of the quest 2 and whats on the pc with CN8 in the area's of France Norway Austria Germany and Italy just to be diverse and am pleased to report that the maps in Q2 are just the same as you will see on your PC screen detail wise. The only problem I have heard about Q2 is the redrawing time of maps, I have had no experience of this and when I see posts abt this I don't know if the redraw problem is when you are using the unit on the road navigating or when you are programing the unit as none of the posts have said. I would maybe find out if this is a problem and if it is maybe concider the 2610 as there is not a lot in it price wise. At the moment I am quite happy with the quest2. In the meantime as you have CN8 loaded you can go and download some trackbacks from their French trip on this site:-
http://www.ebbo.org/
it will keep you interested for hours reading abt their trip and GPS usage and you can checkout their elevation histograms just click the tracks bar.
yam25904
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, that ebbo website is ace, loads of memories coming back, I cant wait till June now!!! After reading about their problems with the base map and running onto an area only covered with the base map I will be getting the Quest 2 now. As I've already bought the bike fitting kit for a Quest and my Mrs will never know I've changed gps (they look the same), he he. I have seen people complaining about the redraw times with Quest 2 but Im not that worried as you say, you've never had a problem. Might get an amplified aerial see if that assists the Quest, only problem will be siting it on my ZX12R. Cheers. :P
yam25904
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now listed my Quest and also my old Autocom intercom unit on Ebay see link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5878163880&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

To view the Autocom just see my other items for sale, cheers.
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with selling Quest and autocom unit. Might need autocom myself I have oxford speakers in my helmet but I don't think they will be loud enough to hear quest2 but can't test them untill the better weather by which time your Autocom will be long gone. Am starting to get cabin fever myself sitting looking and reading about all this touring can't wait.

cheers Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: