Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vanishing voice problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vanishing voice problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Vanishing voice problem Reply with quote

I have 3 month old iCN520 which I have used without problem on short local trips to test it. I have two questions I have not been able to find the answer to. One (re absence of autolock.rgn file on SD card) I have emailed Navman twice and three weeks later apart from two acknowledgements, support have not replied at all. Number two problem concerns guidance voice going AWOL on various test journeys in demonstration mode and usually after an hour or so into the journey. This happens on the supplied SD UK Map Card as well as SD cards I have made with European Maps ( All genuine Navman stuff may I add ). The journey always continous to the destination but in silence. Repeating the same journey this will happen 2 out of 3 times. Anybody out there have any ideas ? because I don't think Navman support is going to assist me. By the way I noticed yesterday ( 1st March ) Costco were selling the iCN520 for less than £200 including VAT.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanishing voice problem Reply with quote

nalagnik wrote:
I have 3 month old iCN520 which I have used without problem on short local trips to test it. I have two questions I have not been able to find the answer to. One (re absence of autolock.rgn file on SD card) I have emailed Navman twice and three weeks later apart from two acknowledgements, support have not replied at all. Number two problem concerns guidance voice going AWOL on various test journeys in demonstration mode and usually after an hour or so into the journey. This happens on the supplied SD UK Map Card as well as SD cards I have made with European Maps ( All genuine Navman stuff may I add ). The journey always continous to the destination but in silence. Repeating the same journey this will happen 2 out of 3 times. Anybody out there have any ideas ? because I don't think Navman support is going to assist me. By the way I noticed yesterday ( 1st March ) Costco were selling the iCN520 for less than £200 including VAT.

Havn't seen this problem discussed so far as I can remember. However, is the device getting hot at all in operation Question Has it ever worked without the voice disappearing on a journey in the time that you have had it Question I ask 'cos it suggests a dry joint somewhere in the device. If you bought it locally, why don't you try taking it back for it to be checked - does seem to me that you have an inherent problem. Crying or Very sad
Just thinking aloud on this thread........
Anyone else agree or disagree with me Question perhaps some more suggestions Idea
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Mio 168 I believe the demo will only work for the first 80 miles. Maybe it's similar with your system.

Do the voices always work on shorter demo journeys?

Do the voices work OK in normal use?

If yes to both then I would suggest your system is OK.
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have only used the iCN520 on real journeys of less than 50 miles and it's ok. I won't be using it for for long routes (France,Spain) till September. What worries me is that the guidance voice gives up on certain routes over a couple of hours and doesn't return at all. This is repeatable 2 out of 3 in demo mode on the same routes. It does this with the original SD card (UK) and with another card I have added Safety Cameras to. If I use the latter card and the voice dissapears the Ding Dong Camera warning continues, so the sound circuitry is still operating. No the iCN520 gets warm but not hot. As Navman support continues to ignore my emails I fear I am not going to have an answer before my holidays which is to put it mildly disappointing. I purchased this in Argos around December and I am certain that they can't and will not look for a problem that is intermittent and then I am left with Navman Support ! There is I am sure either a logical explanation for this or more than likely Navman are aware there is a bug in their firmware and are keeping the head down.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Vanishing voice problem Reply with quote

OK I may have misunderstood.
It is only in demo mode that the voice disappears? I must admit that I have never bothered to use the 'demo route' on the device as it takes for ever! In fact I have turned off the facility.
Could I suggest that, if you are not likely to travel more than 50 miles, with your Navman guiding you, that you get a friend to try it out - if you have one that is likely to do more than that distance. That at least would give you peace of mind for you holiday trip.
I have used my iCN510 on journeys of nearly 1000 miles across europe - sometimes in really hot weather - and it has always behaved faultlessly.
My thought is that the unit is OK, but you should give it a try out in real time over a longer distance than you have already.
Whilst writing this, I have run my unit in demo mode and mine too ceased to give voice guidance after a while - in my case after about 15 miles!!
I suspect this is normal. Wink
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gee-Pee for trying your Navman in demo mode and having the same result. Good idea about giving it to someone else to try out but I might have difficulty in getting it back :D . Now all I have to resolve now is why there is a file called autolock.rgn on the factory supplied SD card and what is it for. The reason is that on creating a new SD card (1Gb Sandisk) for UK/France and Basemaps using SmartST 2005 there is no sign of an autolock.rgn created on the new SD Card. Is this file redundant I wonder, what is it's purpose? I will be grateful if someone ( even in Navman Support Laughing ) has the answer.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalagnik wrote:
Thanks Gee-Pee for trying your Navman in demo mode and having the same result. Good idea about giving it to someone else to try out but I might have difficulty in getting it back :D . Now all I have to resolve now is why there is a file called autolock.rgn on the factory supplied SD card and what is it for. The reason is that on creating a new SD card (1Gb Sandisk) for UK/France and Basemaps using SmartST 2005 there is no sign of an autolock.rgn created on the new SD Card. Is this file redundant I wonder, what is it's purpose? I will be grateful if someone ( even in Navman Support Laughing ) has the answer.

1. I have sent an email to Navman asking if the lack of the voice in Demo mode after a short trip is usual. Will let you know if and when I get a response.
2. I, and I suspect, many people have bought an additional SD card. I just shoved it in the device and loaded the maps I needed. They work perfectly well and I have not looked to see if that file is there. Have a look at my motto, below Wink

Good luck Wink
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a surf and found the following:- http://filext.com/alphalist.php?extstart=%5ER
It appears the file extension .RGN is a Championship Manager Game File and a Garmin Region File.

Clicking on the RGN next to Garmin, it states Regional Map.

It doesn't appear to be a sound file so it looks like you should be OK on a long journey.
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Gee-Pee for helping and I did note much earlier your sig message Wink But I'm an old retired electronics engineer Wink and never accepted any odd results that came out after designing or debugging software/hardware and was particularly upset if a manufacturer or their support people did not respond to genuine questions about the product that had been purchased. I'm afraid that we Brits are far too complacent. There now I feel much better Laughing Anyhow many thanks again and I hope you have better luck with Navman support than I have had to date.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalagnik wrote:
Many thanks Gee-Pee for helping and I did note much earlier your sig message Wink But I'm an old retired electronics engineer Wink and never accepted any odd results that came out after designing or debugging software/hardware and was particularly upset if a manufacturer or their support people did not respond to genuine questions about the product that had been purchased. I'm afraid that we Brits are far too complacent. There now I feel much better Laughing Anyhow many thanks again and I hope you have better luck with Navman support than I have had to date.

Have done an internet search and found a German Navman support forum. It appears that file is something to do with the registration of the maps??? There is also a very old thread in this Forum which also refers to that file
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13322&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Again referencing loading maps... You might like to try to follow that up. Wink
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
How are you setting up your new card.
If you go to the Navman Eurpoe.
Tech support.
FAQ.
List all articals.
Search for how to rebuild my SD card.
Page 4. (UK 104)
Make a copy of this file on your hard drive for reference.
Unzip the folder, print a copy of the read me file. When you have installed it you will need to go to Navman and get all your registration info.
I believe that the file you are talking about will be present. (Unfortunately I do not now what it is for.)
Then you install the maps you require.
Your new card will be to the same specification as the one that is supplied with your unit.
I have done this procedure to all of my cards & have never had any problems.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped with my queries about my iCN520. I am pleased that this forum exists and I am sure that Navman 'Support' is pleased that it exists too. Do they monitor this forum I wonder? Do they only respond to telephone calls but not emails ? Thanks again :D
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
nalagnik wrote:

1. I have sent an email to Navman asking if the lack of the voice in Demo mode after a short trip is usual. Will let you know if and when I get a response.
2. I, and I suspect, many people have bought an additional SD card. I just shoved it in the device and loaded the maps I needed. They work perfectly well and I have not looked to see if that file is there. Have a look at my motto, below Wink

Good luck Wink

Just had a really rapid response from Navman, tech support and they say in answer to the question (1) above, quote
Depending on what type of road it is on as it may have no instructions to give Unquote

I don't know if that helps Question
nalagnik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised and encouraged that you got response from support. I did get acknowledgements that they got my emails but they never replied. In answer to their response that perhaps there was nothing to say about the roads, that is not the problem as usually on a long straight road guidance voice will say something every 10 miles Rolling Eyes There is another symptom that comes up at the same time as voice going AWOL in that the distance which is being refreshed at the bottom right hand of 3D screen e.g. SIM then 89 miles changes to SIM and - and the top left hand of the 3D screen (next turn) is no longer refreshed either. The 3D screen continues to proceed normally AND safety camera alarms DO sound until the destination is reached. The guidance voice is still sound asleep at the end of the journey Laughing The journey I have been simulating is from South Edinburgh to Newcastle.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalagnik wrote:
Surprised and encouraged that you got response from support. I did get acknowledgements that they got my emails but they never replied. In answer to their response that perhaps there was nothing to say about the roads, that is not the problem as usually on a long straight road guidance voice will say something every 10 miles Rolling Eyes There is another symptom that comes up at the same time as voice going AWOL in that the distance which is being refreshed at the bottom right hand of 3D screen e.g. SIM then 89 miles changes to SIM and - and the top left hand of the 3D screen (next turn) is no longer refreshed either. The 3D screen continues to proceed normally AND safety camera alarms DO sound until the destination is reached. The guidance voice is still sound asleep at the end of the journey Laughing The journey I have been simulating is from South Edinburgh to Newcastle.

I have followed up with Navman and they are looking into your problem. I will report back asap - but I am off the Turin for 10 days so you might have to wait until I get back Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: