Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N70 or a "i-mate SP5"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N70 or a "i-mate SP5"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Nokia N70 or a "i-mate SP5" Reply with quote

Thinking of swapping my phone for a smartphone, allowing me to ditch the PDA for running TomTom 5.

It's been seven months since I got TomTom 5 Navigator so should be able to do a new install of TT5 Mobile on a smartphone (correct me if this is impossible - but I do have a legit copy with the all important product code card in the box).

Anyway wondered what others thought of using N70 vs. one of the new HTC smartphones (the one I'd get is branded as either the qtek 8310, imate SP5 and now a Vodafone v1240). Feedback appreciated before I take the plunge.

BTW the Vodafone v1240 is a lot cheaper than the N70.

All I then need to worry about is the cradle for my THB car-kit if I go the v1240 route.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to myself then... tricky question about Symbian vs. MS Smartphone then. And I hate MS!

But had a Vodafone v1240 in my hand today to look at (the same as the imate/qtek) and it is really excellent... Felt well built and the screen is excellent. And if I got it via Vodafone is at good as free...

... but should I get an N70 or even a 6680 instead? Thoughts... thread viewed a few times already.
Gazbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I've been using MS Smartphones for the last 2 years. The old SPV E200 was a bit crap, but since that they've really improved. The SPV C500 was stunning, and the SPV C550 that I currently use is even more outstanding Helped quite a lot by the wonderful hi-res 240x320 screen. Not only as a Sat Nav solution when running TomTom but also as a phone / MP3 player.

It's also a lot smaller than the Nokia, which looks like a brick by comparison.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive feedback. The newer phones are even sleeker, e.g. Orange SPV600 or Vodafone v1240. I thought I wanted the N70 but really want the MS Smartphone now.

Only trouble is:

- Not sure if the product code for TT5 Navigator will allow me to activate on a smartphone with TT5 Mobile
- Need to get a cradle for my current car kit and not sure I can for the smartphone but can for the N70 :-(
gavc_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one issue I have with the i-mate and SPV MS Smartphones is the way they place the expansion card underneath the battery so you cannot hot-swap them. This is certainly one area Nokia have got it right.

see review of SP5 and N70 at http://www.smartphones-show.com/.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will take a look at the reviews now. Just found out I can get the Vodafone version of the SP5 for "free" on a contract... okay I have to pay for the contract but I'm only swapping phones to get my wife one at last (she would never have one).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: