Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Car Mount for Dell Axim x51
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Car Mount for Dell Axim x51
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc

I've now had a chance to try the DM320 amplification and its seems fine to me provided the Axim's volume is set at 90% or less in TTN5 and the DM320's volume control is not turned up beyond about 80%. There is some slight fuzziness in the reproduction of Jane's voice but I don't find that significant; the voice instructions are clear and complete. Next time I'm on TT's site I'll download the free male voice (Tim?) and see what that is like.

I picked up on the Aximsite review before I went ahead and as the author seemed to have reached a satisfactory conclusion I went for it. The only difference I can see is that I'm using an X51v and both you and the Aximsite reviewer are using an X50.

scary5

If you go with the GPSFL mount please post your impressions. I'm always interested in assessments by real users. Thanks.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting ......................

with my x50v

the only way the get a reasonable audio out of the arkon mount is to have the axim volume at a minimum 90 - 95% and the mount at 50 - 70% - anything else and it is unusable.

(which basically makes it unusable for me - I've got 2 of the bloody things the 2nd was a replacement from Arkon direct they didn't want the first back)

Both are the same......
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc

AFAIK there is no difference between the DM320s for the X50 and X51. Morpeth Mobiles list this mount separately for the X50 and X51 and when I bought mine were out of stock for the X51. I checked with care on the Arkon site and found a compatibility chart which confirmed a single mount suits the X50/X50v/X51/X51v so I ordered an 'X50' mount from Morpeth and it works fine with my X51v.

Seems to suggest there may be differences in the audio out circuitry/componenets between the X50 and X51 series or maybe even the models within those series. I notice you're running WM5 on your X50. Presumably that's an upgrade from an earlier os. Maybe that's in the equation somewhere?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be - either way very dissapointing.

I didn't have any issues with an Arkon 820 (I think this is the model no. - the one with the usb plugs at the bottom) - audio was great until the sliding arms broke. Also had no problems with the Haicom / GPSFL one either.

Guess it just don't like my axim.

Ian
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I solved the problem I was having with this mount. But the solution cost £27,000! Embarassed

Replaced the car last week - I was clearing some bits out and reinstalling the sat nav bits and tried the arkon mount again - to see how it fitted in the new car. Sound works perfectly now (on both the mounts) so I guess the old power socket didn't provide enough power to charge the axim and power the mount / speaker properly.

Can't think of another explanation!
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you 'solved' the problem. Sounds like you got a nice set of wheels.

I'm no auto electrician but I doubt if the circuit in your previous car was unable to deliver sufficient power unless it was already heavily loaded cos according to Arkon the mount's cig.lighter transformer only puts out a max.of 2 amps at 5 volts.

I'm wondering if the problem was a poorly earthed circuit in your previous car. That might have resulted in reduced power but maybe more likely, put some noise on the circuit which interfered with audio output.

Anyone else got any ideas?
Scary5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally plumped for the Gpsforless mount and received it today have opted to use the suction cup. I have only gone on a short trip but based on this I am pleased with it. Seems very secure with no wobble. I agree with Mav's comments re the slide unit & fit. The RJ11 socket can be used to power my TomTom Bluetooth receiver with the supplied cable. Although unfortunately I can't fix the receiver to the mount so it just sits loose on the dash. But I suppose can't have averything.

Thanks again all of you for your input.

Dell Axim x51:HTC Touch Diamond: TomTom Wireless GPS MkII: Navigator 6.0130

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: