Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IPAQ 6515 and TT5 Problems..Please help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IPAQ 6515 and TT5 Problems..Please help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: if you buy x51 Reply with quote

hi converse:
if you and when u buy x51 could you let us know the progress? very little is said about x5* anyway here about! so any news is good news? 8)
webresearch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just changed to an hx2750, after finding the 6515 disappointing.
In the UK at least, it comes with 'GPS Navigation', which is TT5, and you get one free city map (worth about £4!). To be fair, this is exactly what it says in the advertising.
It runs fine with normal TomTom maps (I already have TT5 so I used the maps from that, and all you would need is the UK map which is about £45, not a full copy), though they have to be activated for the device.
The internal GPS receiver left a lot to be desired, so I used it with a BT GPS, thinking that the internal one would be fine for walking, it was just too slow for driving.
It started going wrong when I upgraded to TT 5.21, where amazingly they had removed support for external GPS on the 6515 (genius idea that is, as it's still there on other PDAs).
Coupled with the fact that the phone functionality was OK, but primitive by modern phone standards, meant it had to go.

Summary: A big disappointment, it had huge potential if they'd used a decent GPS and spent a couple of days improving the phone. And why TT removed the ability to use an external GPS in 5.21 is a complete mystery, if they hadn't done that I'd probably still have it!
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webresearch, did you use the Quick GPS Connection that comes with the iPAQ? It would have made a massive difference to the GPS connection speed and quality
richard_c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 6515 Reply with quote

I must be lucky then!

I've had no problems with my 6515 at all. I got mine a few days after it was released.

The gps works just fine, it keeps up with my driving, whatever my speed & no extra cables or things stuck to the dashboard anymore.
It hasn't crashed once.

I update the gps every two days via gprs with no problems & I use the phone for emails/web browsing when I'm not at home & gprs to update Tomtom traffic info. I drive approx 40,000 miles pa.

I have to say its the best thing I've bought. :D
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard_c

Yes, I too am quite pleased with my 6510 - no problems with the GPS.

How do you have yours fixed in your car? I bought an in car holder with amplified mount from PDAMODS. It works OK with TT5, but I get terrible interference when using the phone - its so bad, it cannot be used - like a feedback noise. PDAMODS are not interested, they say it was advertised to be used with TT5. They did not say it could not be used with the phone.
Brodit do not seem to do a holder, so I am stuck at the moment. Any suggestions.

Robbins
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Brodit holder with my 6515 and a Nokia CK-7W bluetooth car kit. I find this combination works well in my SAAB 93 as the car kit is wired into the radio. TomTom directions are heard through the PDA speaker not the Radio though.

One option for getting the sound out via the radio might be one of the iPod to FM radio solutions such as the Belkin Tunecast 2 http://www.ithings.co.uk/item--Belkin-Tunecast-II--HDD1006.html
and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm converter from here
http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/view_product.php?product=493

Not sure how the microphone piece would work, it may still use the onboard mic. Also music would need to be stored MP3 files via the WMP as you will have to tune the radio to the Belkin FM transmitter.

I am not affiliated to either site but I have bought both the items above and was happy.

Hope this helps
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonraker

Thanks for the reply.

Could you point me in the right direction as to how I can pick up emails on my 6510. At the moment, only when I connect it to my laptop via active sync do I pick up emails.

Robbins
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomo1340 wrote:

to simplify don't buy the 6515 for the gps receiver as most people who have used gps before report it to be pants.

I think "crap" would be a better description. The GPS receiver in 6515 is horrible.
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar for a moderator your style is unusual. I have a 6515 and find that the GPS works pretty well for me and I have used a number of different GPS units see my sig.

Robbins - what sort of email are you trying to setup? If you mean POP3/IMAP4 then just work through the accounts setup. If you mean Server ActiveSync over GPRS it depends if your company has enabled it in which case your best bet is to talk to your helpdesk first.
Copilot smartphone on C500 with Fortuna clip on
TomTom Mobile 3 on C500 with Fortuna clip on
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraker wrote:
Eldar for a moderator your style is unusual.

I'm expressing my opinion, why is it unusual?
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonraker

Thanks for the helpfull reply as usual.

I too have no problems with the 6510 inbuilt GPS

Robbins
richard_c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROBBINS wrote:
richard_c

Yes, I too am quite pleased with my 6510 - no problems with the GPS.

How do you have yours fixed in your car? I bought an in car holder with amplified mount from PDAMODS. It works OK with TT5, but I get terrible interference when using the phone - its so bad, it cannot be used - like a feedback noise. PDAMODS are not interested, they say it was advertised to be used with TT5. They did not say it could not be used with the phone.
Brodit do not seem to do a holder, so I am stuck at the moment. Any suggestions.

Robbins

Hi,

I've gone for simplicity & its just stuck to the dashboard with a 2cm square piece of heavy duty black velcro which I have stuck in the centre of my dashboard just above my centre air vents on a blanked off button, which blends in nicely with the black dash. I had an old ipaq case which I managed to adapt to suit the 6515 so I could access all of the buttons & speaker etc, & stuck then other piece of velcro to that to save me sticking it to the ipaq. I don't have any options for adjusting the angle of the ipaq but so far I haven't needed to. The good thing about this is I can remove the ipaq & charger easily from the car with no evidence whatsoever that I have sat nav (ie holders or mounts on the windscreen).

With regards to the phone, I've never used it as a mobile apart from texting so I cant comment on what the call quality is like. I just bought a SIM for it to use the gprs for updates etc.
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonraker

I have installed the Nokia CK-7W bluetooth car kit which is excellent, with my HP iPAQ 6510

Are you able to use both TT5 and the mobile phone together.
I can use the TT5 on its own
I can use the mobile phone on its own.
However, when I have TT5 running, I am able to make a mobile phone call, but when I receive a mobile phone call,(when I answer) it disconnects bluetooth every time. The only way that I can get around the problem is to let it ring until the caller rings off, it records that I have missed a call, I then have to return the call.
Do you have any possible ideas?

ROBBINS
moonraker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can receive phone calls whilst TT5 is running, TT5 simply mutes the directions whilst leaving the map running.

Are you answering with the green handset button on the device or the remote CK-7W button?

You should be answering with a quick press of the CK-7W button. If you press and hold the Nokia button you will disconnect the bluetooth.

You may also need to wait until you can hear the ringing via the Nokia kit through your speakers rather than the phone ring. If you answer too quickly the bluetooth connection may not have been made.

Hope this helps
Copilot smartphone on C500 with Fortuna clip on
TomTom Mobile 3 on C500 with Fortuna clip on
gaboury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: 6515 GPS Reply with quote

I don't understand the complaints about the internal GPS. Mine works beautifully with both Outdoor Navigator and odgps software packages. No lag at any speed. Perfect location. Works as well as any of the half dozen other GPS units I have used. The Quick GPS program actually helps it to find initial positions faster than a standard GPS. The iPAQ can be configured to automatically update the files every few days. It works w/o it also.

I mount mine in the car with a a holder that attaches to the vents. Got it from Extreme pda.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: