Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devon-surfer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is this happening. I am new to this site, and have reported a unreported static camera. Will I need to pay a fee to access and download the safety camera updates? Also how do I update my Garmin i3 for roads etc. Newbee needs advise Cheers
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends when you submitted your camera, think it was the last few days of the year was the cut off.

If since then I guess a months free membership??

As for the Garmin - best bet to try the forums than this thread for some help, sorry I only have experience with TomTom(s)
PJP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mburton2 wrote:
How/when individuals know if they quialfy for the "free" subscription??

I submitted a few "changes" (ie data-base says it a mobile, but its a Gatso, Speed limit on camera XYZ is 30mph, a more accurate position for camera WXY is THIS etc etc)

I submitted a couple of mobile camera's, a couple of TEMP GATSO's (Along with everyone else who was using the M25 at the Enfield Roadworks)....

I'd just like to know if I qualify??

mburton2

Like they said, if you submitted before the deadline, you get free membership....
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I should be OK then.....ta
justclox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the membership fee also cover the Garmin download overlay map of cameras as that is in a seperate area?

When does all this start and is it a year from paymant or a year from January regardless of time of paymant?
rentech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away for a few months and was suprised to see all the talk about charging for the database. As a regular contributer to updates of database I was very happy with the final decision (it seems very generous). Apologies for not reading through all of the many posts, but hopefully there will still be the option for those with 'lifetime membership' to contribute funds when they get the urge.

Again, thanks for the hard work
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justclox wrote:
Does the membership fee also cover the Garmin download overlay map of cameras as that is in a seperate area?

Hi, I'm the author of the Garmin overlay map. At the moment I don't have an answer for you. I emailed Mike at PGPSW a few weeks back, but I've not had a response yet. In the absence of a reply I'll just continue to post the map as normal

/WiRED
cupra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to vent my spleen re. the new charges.

I think you are showing utter contempt for the contributers to the database and the community. People only contributed to it because it was a free project and it was going to stay free. Without people's contributions you would have nothing to sell. I think you are being to quick to forget that it is people's interest in a free project and goodwill that got the database where it is today. Once you start to charge, interest and goodwill are things of the past.

I think your standpoint regarding the ownership of information is shaky at best. You say that you can charge for the structure of the database etc. not the actual information people have submitted.
This makes you no better than the ebay sellers you are so keen to complain about. They are charging for disc and the envelope, not the information.
Making a profit from other people's work is wrong no matter who does it.

Still, you're not the first website to start looking to make a quick profit out of a community and you won't be the last.

I expect your database will be superceded by a free version quite quickly, for exactly the reasons you are now preferred by most to TomTom (or other's) own databases.
cupra
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore, there should be a request system so that people who submitted data can have it removed from the database. There was no 'disclaimer' about ownership of information when submitting. I won't quite the DPA, you can look it up for yourselves.

I for one will want all data I have submitted removed. Mostly because of the level you have set your prices at. You are obviously looking to make A LOT of money out of this, and I find that objectionable. If the cost had been much lower you could have justified it for server costs etc, but you have taken it much further than that.
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some updates during this week, without being aware of this new charging.

Seems a bit unfair that I have contibuted without knowing of these charges and will now miss out on the free updates, but I guess that's just the way things go (unless any staff are feeling generous).

I guess I will pay a subscription as I cannot find any other update sites. It is a shame though.
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read up to page 3 and got bored by all the whinging about who was going to get something free and who was too mean to pay £2 a month to protect their irreplacable driving licence. So I skipped to page 29 and find the same negativity is still flowing through the thread

So let me put my drift on this situation. I subscribed to TomTom's own speed camera database. It cost me £50 for 12 months and when I thought it was going to be all they claimed it was I was happy to pay out the cash and download the program. When I actually came to use the load of cow's droppings I found that it was a truly dreadful offering. It gave all red light cameras as speed cameras, it missed out dozens of cameras, it put the wrong speeds on sites, it provided no tool to record the corrcctions while claiming that it checked all entries and checked all submitted error reports. Although it claimed to frequently update the data, it only offered one update in 3 months and failed to bother to check what it changed. So when I found the PGPS database and it works and it is frequently updated and, although it had been free, was only costing £2 per monthly update, I junked the £50 pile of rubbish, told TomTom what I thought of it but having received no real reply, merely a load of "have a nice day" PR gobbledegook, I embraced PGPS's database and cannot understand what all the whinging is about.

Pay the money, use the system, be part of a very supportive online community and be grateful that you don't have to depend on the likes of TomTom's database to keep the points off youre licence. Some of you really don't know when youre lucky!
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not begrudging paying £19 a year (I would definitely do the yearly subscription instead of monthly), merely feeling sorry for myself for missing out on the freebies...

This is a great service, been using it for only a week and already cannot live without it!!!

Thank you PGPS
DaveO1959
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:

Pay the money, use the system, be part of a very supportive online community and be grateful that you don't have to depend on the likes of TomTom's database to keep the points off youre licence. Some of you really don't know when youre lucky!

I think what you will find the majority object to is the hypocrisy. It was stated the updates would always be free and now they are not.

I have contributed to Linux in the past. I did freely and for free but didn't expect to pay to download a product containing my own contributions.

Linux and similar initiatives such as Open Office would be nowhere if they charged for their products. Payment for them via a donation is optional.

I don't believe there was a fundamental need to charge for the database in the first place. If open source projects can survive on donations I don't see why the database "project" could not do the same, especially given the level of advertising on this site.

As it has gone commercial it is also open to competition, so who is to say Tom Tom or any one else won't be offering a rival product that claims greater accuracy? It is also open to competition from another free database should anyone care to set one up, which I hope someone does.

Finally, if I pay for something I expect far more support and quality of service than I get from a free product. What such value has charging for the DB added over what was there already? And if it has added anything was it needed and does it justify a charge?

Dave
Zaki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatsfield wrote:
Read up to page 3 and got bored by all the whinging about who was going to get something free and who was too mean to pay £2 a month to protect their irreplacable driving licence. So I skipped to page 29 and find the same negativity is still flowing through the thread

Why do people like you insult people by saying they are whinging. They are stating a point of view which is their absolute right. Just remember Pocket GPS stated "It will always be free" and now its not.
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose people like me say what they say because they say it from their perspective.

Leaving aside the past history and now abandoned mission statements, my posting compared what is available to me for £50 per annum with what is now available for less than half the price. I never had the option for free anything and I am looking at what my money will buy in the marketplace. If GPS World has to compete with TomTom, which it already does, I will judge it against what TomTom does. So far that judgement is that for less than half the price it completely slaughters TomTom's inadequate effort and if the injection of cash into the operation enables it to provide dedicated staff time to improving accuracy even more, then I will consider it money well spent. I know what my driving licence is worth to me. The sums of money we are discussing are too small to appear on the same scale as my losses were I to lose it to a Gatso.

Rather than dispute whether the service should be free or not, we might discuss what improvements we feel that the fees will be able to fund. If they produce a 99.9% accurate database from month to month by paying staff to work on the job full time, then the resultant tool will be worth every penny of the price of a pint a month.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 26 of 44

Jump to: