Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fall Back (Tomtom Go Clock)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fall Back (Tomtom Go Clock)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be worse they could have done it in Swatch Beats :P
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sitrap wrote:
UTC DOES=GMT, and does = GPS time.

Nope, GPS time DOES NOT equal UTC or GMT. Read these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time

Siltrap, after all that reading, I think I have found the answer to why your GPS receiver was 59 minutes and 45 seconds out from UTC time. Idea

Wikipedia wrote:
The atomic clocks on the satellites are set to "GPS time", which is the number of seconds since 00:00:00 UTC, January 6, 1980. Today, GPS time is 14 seconds ahead of UTC, because it does not follow leap seconds. Receivers thus apply a clock-correction offset (which is periodically transmitted along with the other data) in order to display UTC correctly, and optionally adjust for a local time zone. New GPS units will initially show the incorrect time after achieving a GPS lock for the first time. However, this is usually corrected on the display within 15 minutes once the UTC offset message is received for the first time.

This explains why it was 59 mins and 45 seconds - your unit set the time for 1 hour into the future but your clock was 14 seconds slow, not having the UTC to GPS time offset information.

It doesn't explain the 1 hour difference but it does explain the 14 seconds.

The 14 second problem should disappear by itself once the GPS learns what the offset should be.
sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's all down to dodgy programming then, as the GPS does show UTC time. The problem is that the clock will not synchronise with it. When you press the sync button, the clock (the one shown in yellow, not the satellite status clock - which always shows the correct time) adjusts it's minutes to the same as the satellite, it's hours to one hour ahead, but the seconds are unaltered. By the way, the units clock seconds are now 17 ahead of UTC (31 ahead of GPS) - so this has nothing to do with GPS v UTC time.

TomTom - fix this at your next firmware level. The sync button is a waste of space at the moment.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call me stupid, but I don't understand the fuss about those 14 or 31 seconds. What kind of cars or routes are you driving that you can plan routes exactly on the seconds? A red light takes longer. I'm happy as long as the time is within the same minute.
The GO doesn't even really care about the actuale date (unless you manually set it).

Quote:
TomTom sync the RIDER to UTC +1. That way, mainland Europe is correct for half the year, and the British Isles (and Portugal, I think?) are correct for half the year.

Seems like a fair trade to me, even if adjusting the hours takes just one extra tap (except for Lutz and friends of course)
sitrap
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some people are happy with sloppy programming then that's fine with me. It's just that many things TomTom do seem to be done with this same it'll do attitude. Directions at some roundabouts telling you to go round the roundabout the wrong way, telling you to exit motorways on roads that crossover the motorway. We all know that we shouldn't obey the TomTom, and you're right, it isn't a big issue in itself. It's just when put together all these bugs spoil an otherwise good product.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
Quote:
TomTom sync the RIDER to UTC +1. That way, mainland Europe is correct for half the year, and the British Isles (and Portugal, I think?) are correct for half the year.

Seems like a fair trade to me, even if adjusting the hours takes just one extra tap (except for Lutz and friends of course)

I can live with it.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:

The GO doesn't even really care about the actuale date (unless you manually set it).

Which is pointless anyhow since the device forgets that date after each reset.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: