Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So, what ya got ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So, what ya got ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:
Was going to wait for a Rider - glad I didn't. 2610 was cheaper and is waterproof. Disappointed that TomTom don't give out proper specs on Rider. Gets a so-so review here - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/tomtom-rider/

I'd agree on the 'so-so' review statement - but would clarify that as 'flawed in their own arguments' as opposed to saying the Rider is actually as bad as the reviewer would like you to believe.

A couple of examples:
Bad Reviewer wrote:
The Rider will work even if the door is left open, and although it's unlikely (because the Rider would normally be mounted in its bracket), there is a chance that the SD flash memory could come out of the unit or that moisture could intrude. We're surprised that there isn't an interlock feature that prevents the unit from operating if the door is not closed.

The car kit (due out in 2006) will use a charger that plugs into the opened door that covers the SDCard, reset and power socket. Having the rider not work with the door open would kill the ability to charge it in the car without installing one of the motorcycle clamps which are designed to work off the battery terminals, not a cigarette lighter socket in a car. To actually get the SDCard out you have to push it to un-catch it from the SDCard reader in any case (it shouldn't fall out due to vibration even in a car in other words).

Bad Reviewer wrote:
The portable Bluetooth earpiece also has an internal battery and it also must be charged before first use, but it also does not have an indication that it is being charged

Actually, the bluetooth dongle has a red light when charging, which goes away once the unit is charged....

All in all, they missed out some of the other bad points (can't charge the bluetooth dongle while actually using it) and made a mountain out of a molehill with regards to the on/off switch - no issues with it working here at all, and I got one of the first Riders in the UK, so we can't put that down to a production fault.

Only the 'Drive Mode' is rated as usable with gloves on as far as I can see from the documentation - and indeed it is - its also pretty useless for choosing destinations etc, but thats a moot point.

The Rider is actually waterproof as much as is necessary when riding a motorcyle even in extreme conditions - its the bluetooth dongle that is only water resistant to the point where you might worry. 'Resistant' vs 'fully waterproof' isn't something I would get worked up over - given I'm not planning to submerge my bike for 30 minutes while still trying to ride somewhere - but then even the extreme off-roaders wouldn't either (on purpose at least!). I doubt my bike (or anybody elses) would actually work after 30 minutes submerged to the point where the handle-bar mounted Rider is submerged at a depth of 1 meter ;)

All in all, I'd give the review a 3 out of a possible 10.

Yes I'm a fan of the Rider - but then it fulfills all the requirements I have of a GPS unit on a motorcycle (including riding all year round in any weather). If I wanted to plan my routes out on a computer beforehand I may think twice about getting a Garmin product instead, but personally I find it more fun on those rare occasions I get to not commute to just try and get well and totally lost. Something I'll do more often now that I know I'll be able to get home again afterwards ;)
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by this comment I think the reviewer needs a better understanding of what GPS and satellite navigation is ;)

Quote:
Our initial hope when we first tried motorcycle GPS was that it would help us record the routes and roads that we stumbled upon during our casual touring. Apparently, GPS units are not designed to do this.
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got a quest 2 which arrived yesterday and will mount it to a TDM900 at the weekend.

cheers Bob
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's yer "2" then big bob?
Remember - if ye don't eat, ye don't sh*t, if ye don't sh*t.................... Laughing

At the cutting edge of technophobia
bigbob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there fellow Quest man well we all know what happens we die Laughing Out Loud
most impressed with quest although have not taken it out on bike mounted the ram mount and had to strip half the fairing off to run wires to bat did a pucker jobby with soldering tags then put ear plugs on and helmet sat on bike in workshop just to hear the sexy voice got of bike forgot about earplugs untill me head went at 90 deg as I tried to exit workshop then tried to take helmet off and nearly ripped me lugs off so guess I'm off to maplins to see if I can get some wee plugs on Saturday. I did email our friend up west but have had no reply I hope its because he has changed email address. speak to u soon

Bob
johnboy32
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: what ya got Reply with quote

Hi all,I have a tomtom 700 that I intend to fit to my Honda Varadero 1000 when the weather get's a bit better.I went for the 700 as I like to travel round europe.
Veloman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I have a Medion MDPPC150 (same as a Mitac Mio 168) and want to be able to mount it on my VFR. Can someone suggest a suitable mounting kit.

I understand that there is a kit that mounts onto the two bolts that hold the fuel tank in place, but don't know if it will fit the Medion unit. There is nothing on the Medion website and they suggested joining this site. Now that must be a good recommendation.

Tony
GPSHonda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar thread:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28244&start=0
joeninety
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use an iPAQ 4150 with TT5 installed and a BT receiver in a ziplock bag stuck to the tank. wouldnt mind a Rider but not at the price they're asking for it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: