Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera warning query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera warning query
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oriole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Camera warning query Reply with quote

I have a TT One and have downloaded the speed camera info. Have to say, its great having the ability to do this, but not so great trying to work out how the hell you're meant to do this. Anyway, I assume its all worked but I have one question.

On "Ray's" website, it says that when setting up the warnings near the POI, you should not tick the box that asks "Warn only if POI is on route".

But does this mean that when you're going down a road and there's a speed camera in the opposite direction, that it will still give a warning.

What exactly would happen if I did tick this box?
da2ca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did tick the box and there is a camera on your route but set back from the road you will not get a warning. And to answer your question you will get a warning if it’s in the opposite direction or within the set distance on a side street.
Oriole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And to answer your question you will get a warning if it’s in the opposite direction or within the set distance on a side street.

Sorry - are you saying this will happen with the box ticked or not ticked?
biggles150
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box not ticked.
da2ca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ticked - If its set back from the road no warning Crying or Very sad

Not Ticked - warning If its set back from the road, but also if it’s in the opposite direction or within the set distance on a side street. Laughing
Oriole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems really odd. The sat nav obviously knows the direction you're going, so why does it not ignore cameras that apply to traffic coming the other way, or are on other streets?

It seems to me there might be good reasons to tick the box, although I suppose that depends on how often cameras are set back from the road - does anyone know how often that actually is?

(Cheers for your replies by the way.)
ranger_6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crucial point that's been missed here is that if you tick the box it will only warn you if you are driving on a pre-planned route. If you simply have the TT1 switched on then no warnings will appear, on route or not.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some confusing comments above....
I think you will find:

1) The TomTom range always sees a single carriageway road as a single route. Therefore a camera POI placed on that road will trigger an alert whichever way you are travelling (irrespective of any options, ticked or otherwise. The TomTom has no idea of direction when it comes to POIs; only distance and whether it is "on route" (see below).

2) Dual carriageways are seen as two seperate routes. That is why a single camera on the central reservation which can be set to look in either direction, needs to be put in the databaser as two seperate POIs.

3) As far as camera POIs are concerned, the "Warn only when on route" option functions as follows:-
If un-ticked:- you will be warned of ANY camera within the range you have set in the preferences. This is irrespective of whether it is on your road or whether you have a route set or not.

If ticked:- you will ONLY be warned of cameras that are actually on your route or within a pre-set distance of the road (this is only a only a few metres, and not user-adjustable).
This setting avoids false triggers from nearby roads, BUT if you have no route set, you will not get any warnings at all.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ranger, you got your post in while I was half way through writing mine Smile
Oriole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's helpful. So clearly it does make sense to leave that box unticked.

I guess the practical solution is that when my TT goes "Boing" I need to look out for a camera, although it may not be on my side of the road.

All of this is of course completely irrelevant, because I never exceed the speed limit!! Police
wheresthat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same subject, but slightly different. I have downloaded voice warnings for speed cameras, but, how can I select which speed I want the voice to warn me of when approaching a camera as they are all on roads with varying speed limits. Consequently I have just set it to warn of "gatso ahead" rather than specifying what the speed limit is as well. It would be useful to be warned of the speed limit too though. Can it be done for all cameras?? Thanks
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wheresthat and welcome to the Forum.

If you do a Search for warnings in the TomTomGo Forum there are lots of threads that will tell you how to put which sound on which camera.

You will not, however, be able to get a warning for the Speed Limit, only the Speed Cameras Basic Trigger Point.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whereisthat - it sounds like you might have installed one of the "all-in-one" versions of the database that only tell you there is a camera of some sort ahead.
You need to have installed the individual speed-zoned files (with names like "pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2" etc).
Then you can see the limit on screen and assign a voice alert to it if you want.
wheresthat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks all, got is sussed now. Does anybody know when and if that programme 'poicapture' will be able to be used by those who have downloaded the latest version of the tomtom software?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be available for 5.420 but it might be when TT issues the next software update.

Assuming they issue the SDK for it as well.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: