Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed accuracy
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mutleyeng
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: speed accuracy Reply with quote

hi all,
still pretty new to my Go 300.
Recently noticed i can view a speed readout, so gave it a go, and seems it significantly different from my tacho (tacho steady at 30, the tomtom will report 25 mph).
Best guess as to which is closer to the truth?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you in a straight line on a flat road then the nav is very very acturate

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sat nav is much more accurate than your car, manufacturers always over compensate in case they might get sued.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
TT300_Owner
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When speed cameras were introduced, some powers that be wanted them to take nice pictures of anyone who went even 1mph over the limit. However, tests showed that speedos on cars are not 100% accurate, and even changes to any one car can change what the speedo reads. So, the cameras (I'm reliably told?) are set to go off if you are doing over the speed limit + 10% + 2mph... So if you are in a 30mph zone, the camera would normally be set for 35 - but don't go doing that, get flashed and blame me! Wink :D

Because of the inaccuracy of speedos, I've seen posts where people say the TT is a much more reliable indicator of speed, especially as it is tracking your movements and calculating your speed based on time/accurate satellite distance position.

My speedo shows about 3mph above what TT shows. Still, I'd rather be going slower than I think I am - better safe than sorry :D
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the same thing. When driving at 80mph according to my tacho the TTG always shows 73.

So if the tacho is so far out does this mean the milometer is also out? Maybe my car has not really done 24000 miles after all!
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if its any way to check my Tachometer is Digital but my Speedo is Analogue.

When I plot a route and reset the trip counter providing I follow the route exactly the trip counter is pretty much smack on what the distance that the Go reports even when driving down a motorway the .x miles part is pretty much the same but when traveling at 70 the speed reading on the GO will read 66.

quite how it affects an analogue trach is another thing you will have to plot a short route say 3-5 miles or so down a motorway reset your counter and drive it at 70-80 then compare results.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLee wrote:
So if the tacho is so far out does this mean the milometer is also out? Maybe my car has not really done 24000 miles after all!

In an analogue Speedo/Milometer the Miles are driven by a drirect coupling to the Drive Shaft. I believe the Speedo element uses a centrifugal element to rotate the needle.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to minimise your total mileage, keep your tyres over-inflated! Means you travel further for one revolution of the wheels so the mileometer will under-read. 8)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably won't do the tyres a lot of good though. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Probably won't do the tyres a lot of good though. Rolling Eyes

neither will it do your braking distance any good
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Twas a joke Embarassed
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged wrote:
When I plot a route and reset the trip counter providing I follow the route exactly the trip counter is pretty much smack on what the distance that the Go reports

I've noticed the same with my Garmin Quest. I did a 60 mile trip and the trip computer on the GPS was within a few tenths of the car computer even though the car speedo reads about 5% fast.
Keba
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much tread you have on your tyres also dictates how far out your speedo will be.

Cop cars have to have their speedo <-> radar system calibrated once a day due to the difference that tread wearing can have.

This is probably more noticable on a bike than on a car, espeically if the bike rider does a lot of motorway traffic (like me!) Bike tyres are rounded and the top flattens out quite quickly if you do a lot of straight line travel. My journey length changes from 60 to around 64 miles over the age of the tyre as it wears out....
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If you want to minimise your total mileage, keep your tyres over-inflated! Means you travel further for one revolution of the wheels so the mileometer will under-read. 8)

It is also illegal to have your tyres at other than the correct inflation. If you were stoped by the police they could put a temporary restriction on you, there fore stopping you from completeing your journey

Let's Be Safe Out There
tangiers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: speedo accuracy Reply with quote

JLee wrote:
I've noticed the same thing. When driving at 80mph according to my tacho the TTG always shows 73.

The 'inaccuracy' of speedos is deliberate and due to legal reasons. Legally a speedometer must not underread by even 1 mph (i.e. suggest you are going slower than you really are) but is allowed to overead by as much as 10%.

Since it is prohibitively expensive to manufacture a very high accuracy speedometer the car manufacturers can not afford to set them to read the correct speed in case the manufacturing tolerances cause the speedo to underread. Hence their solution is to set the speedo to over read by, say, 5 to 7%. In that way there is no chance of it underreading.

Conclusion: your GPS will be more accurate and will always give you a lower speed than your speedo.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: