Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gps unit advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gps unit advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randydan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Gps unit advice Reply with quote

HI,

I know nothing about GPS, but it looks like it's time to learn. I know this has been asked over and over. I'm looking for a simple street map gps nothing fancy maybe voice with some downloadable maps. It is for my wife, and it needs to be simple. It will mainley be used in California, Nevada and Oregon. A unit that has a fairly large screen since age is creeping up and the eyes are not what they used to be. So I would like some suggestions on some units. I still haven't fiqured out what a PDA is yet.

Thanks
Randy
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get her a TomTom GO.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Randy,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you had a nice Christmas.

A PDA is a unit which can be used for satellite navigation but which is primarily a handheld computer with programs on it such as Word, Excel, Media Player, etc. An example of a PDA is the iPAQ 2210 or the 5550. Some PDAs have bluetooth while others do not.

However, as Lutz already suggested, I think a GO would be a much better option for you for your requirements. The screen is certainly clear and easy to see and it's an all-in-one device.

With a PDA you would need to buy a GPS receiver as well, and also the software and maps. With a GO, everything is included and you just plug it into your car and go, so there's less to set up and carry about as well.

I have a TTGO 500 and am very happy with it, although there are a few newer devices out now, such as the ONE, which you may like to have a look at. One of the main reasons I like the 500 is that it can be used as a handsfree kit for your mobile phone, since they connect via Bluetooth.

Have a browse of the TTGO forum on the forum index page and see what issues people have had with each device and this may help you to make your mind up.

Good luck. Thumbs Up
Randydan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help. I will checkout the Tom Tom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: