Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V8 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V8 maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I would have to pay for the upgrade.

The upgrade to v8 is what I am meaning here... (I wish we could edit posts)
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is indeed a shame that Garmin have still (afaik) not put an offficial policy statement on their website regarding map upgrades from v7 to v8 for the i3.

Several members have emailed them about this and appear to have received a variety of responses from different people there. Hopefully anyone who has received a categoric assurance that they will be entitled to a FREE upgrade, is keeping that email in a very safe place, so that they can (if necessary) produce it when the upgrades are eventually available.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Why is it not acceptable? What do you expect Garmin to do about it, other than not ship any with v8 maps?

People think it's not acceptable because the a City Select map upgrade typically costs £80 and when you are spending 150-200 pounds on a Garmin unit then this is a significant portion of the cost.

Accepted - but was anybody misled when they bought their i3? Has there been anything to do with that purchase, that hasn't been fulfilled?

This is a bargain basement gps - I fail to see what Garmin have done wrong. In fact, they've done right by customers, by continually "improving" their product.

Skippy wrote:

People want to know if they will be upgraded to the latest map version for free or if they should hunt around and find a unit with v8 maps on it out of the box.

I get what people want. I'm failing to see what Garmin have done wrong.

Skippy wrote:

Garmin should clarify the v7/v8 situation by:

1. Admitting that v8 exists
2. Clarifying details of who will get a free upgrade
3. Informing customers of the cut off date for the upgrade

Which no doubt they will do in the fulness of time. I'm still failing to see what they haven't lived up to.

Skippy wrote:

Quote:
What demonstrably loss has anybody with v7 maps got, over somebody who's got an i3 with v8 maps?

v7 has less detailed coverage of Northern Ireland than v8.

If somebody who's bought an i3 has found it hasn't lived up to what it's claimed it should, then they have a complaint.

Otherwise, the analogy is like buying a PC, or a paper based map.

Skippy wrote:

Quote:
Some people have paid considerably less than I did, and whilst that grates, I have no true complaint, there.

I agree 100%! I brought a new PC last year for £1000 and I could buy the exact same one now for £500. That's progress for you. You just have to get on with what you have and enjoy it!

Zactly.

So peoples' complaints on this subject are worth exactly nothing, zip, nada, bubcas.

Because it has done exactly what it's said on the tin - and if not, you have a valid complaint, and grounds to return it.

Otherwise, it's just like my whining about it being available £50 cheaper then when I bought my i3, or that some newer PCs can be bought with more memory, free from Dell a few days later.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And not that I want to add kerosene to this fire, but I just bought another i3 as a Christmas present, it was £149.99 and has v8 maps (according to the box).
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
And not that I want to add kerosene to this fire, but I just bought another i3 as a Christmas present, it was £149.99 and has v8 maps (according to the box).

Merry Xmas to the lucky person who gets that as a present!

But are you going to quietly swap your v7 for it's v8 maps. Wink Laughing Twisted Evil
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Lester_Burnham wrote:

Merry Xmas to the lucky person who gets that as a present!

But are you going to quietly swap your v7 for it's v8 maps. Wink Laughing Twisted Evil

Nope - it's for my father.

I'm not going to take it out of the box. On Christmas day, when he unwraps it, I'll have my flash drive with me, with the new firmware, and POIs, and I'll set it up for him.

Shouldn't be a problem for a DOA unit, as I've only just bought it today.
semaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: How do you tell if you got V7 or V8 maps :?: Reply with quote

How do you tell if you got V7 or V8 maps Question
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you tell if you got V7 or V8 maps :?: Reply with quote

semaj wrote:
How do you tell if you got V7 or V8 maps Question

says on the box or goto settings,map and then mapsource..
bighassan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave my son an i3 for Christmas and discovered it has V8 maps whereas the one I bought for myself not long before has V7. The difference is amazing here in Northern Ireland. Roads and streets which apparently didn't exist on V7 are now there in all their reality. And a non-existent bridge in V7 across a very broad river at the bottom of my garden has been magically demolished in V8. Wish I had waited a few weeks before buying my i3! Crying or Very sad
chick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Ver 8 Maps Reply with quote

I have been watching with interest the Version 8 topic.

One point to think about... If a retailer is selling units with Version 8 and Version 7 Maps, if you purchase a unit and it has version 7 maps you are getting less for your money then if the same retailer had sold you the version 8 map unit.

You could concider informing the local trading standards office that units are being sold at the same price by a retailer but with older maps.

Garmin UK should make a clear statement regarding the position with respect to Version 7 Units and Version 8 Units, are they trying to clear their stock of version 7 ?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ver 8 Maps Reply with quote

chick wrote:
I have been watching with interest the Version 8 topic.

One point to think about... If a retailer is selling units with Version 8 and Version 7 Maps, if you purchase a unit and it has version 7 maps you are getting less for your money then if the same retailer had sold you the version 8 map unit.

You could concider informing the local trading standards office that units are being sold at the same price by a retailer but with older maps.

Garmin UK should make a clear statement regarding the position with respect to Version 7 Units and Version 8 Units, are they trying to clear their stock of version 7 ?

I don't buy it... (pun intended).

I can walk into a supermarket, and buy two 2l bottles of Pepsi Max for £1.32 on special offer - buy one, get one free. I could buy two 500ml bottles of the same stuff, and it would cost me more.

Or special offers aside, I'm sure it's easier to find buying THE SAME PRODUCT in a supermarket, and finding there's price points where you get more of THE SAME PRODUCT for less than you could be paying for it in an alternate format.

So claiming that a retailer is selling one version of the product with V7 maps, and some versions of it with V8 maps - and that as such you're paying the same but getting less, is bogus - they're not doing anything wrong, and would likely plead ignorance.

After all, they've not done anything wrong, they're probably merely selling the product they've been supplied with. Most retailers wouldn't have a clue as to the difference - and why should they - the manufacturer hasn't made any CLEARLY obvious (people here may have noticed a subtle difference - but it is exactly that - subtle) packaging changes.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ver 8 Maps Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
So claiming that a retailer is selling one version of the product with V7 maps, and some versions of it with V8 maps - and that as such you're paying the same but getting less, is bogus

Imagine you buy a new car for delivery in a month's time. There are two cars sitting on the forecourt, they look identical. Would you care if you got the 2005 model or the 2006 model?

The v8 maps offer more than the v7 maps - how much more is questionable, but the fact is that Garmin generally charge for map upgrades and they haven't made it clear if i3 owners will have to pay or not.

Garmin should settle this one quickly, it's causing a lot of anguish (probably unnecessarily).
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ver 8 Maps Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
So claiming that a retailer is selling one version of the product with V7 maps, and some versions of it with V8 maps - and that as such you're paying the same but getting less, is bogus

Imagine you buy a new car for delivery in a month's time. There are two cars sitting on the forecourt, they look identical. Would you care if you got the 2005 model or the 2006 model?

Quite often that happens - plenty of cars unregistered, and hanging around on airfields for ages.

It does truly depend on what you agreed with, and whether it was explicit, and whether there was any material loss.

Skippy wrote:

The v8 maps offer more than the v7 maps - how much more is questionable, but the fact is that Garmin generally charge for map upgrades and they haven't made it clear if i3 owners will have to pay or not.

And?

How does that what's being sold as being misleading?

Skippy wrote:

Garmin should settle this one quickly, it's causing a lot of anguish (probably unnecessarily).

"anguish"???!!!

Truly?

I'm as keen to get a (free) upgrade to v8 maps as much as anybody else, but I honestly think a sense of perspective is relevant, here.

As it stands, when buying my i3, if I'd not researched it, and read about the map versions, here, I'd be blissfully unaware.
welshman213
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is an email I received from Garmin this morning.
I only purchased my I3 on tuesday for the Pricely sum of £130 and have to say very happy with the unit, and also very happy to see Garmin have stated they will (for free) updae the maps.

"Hello

All i3 customers in the UK will be entitled to a free update to version 8
maps if they are on version 7 currently on there i3. There is no release
date as of yet for version 8 but we anticipate around January time. Our
website will publish the information needed on how to update the mapping
once version 8 is released. "
milleniumedition
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: My replaced Garmin I3 has V8 map Reply with quote

Hi all
Just thought I would join the V8 maps debate and advise that only exchanged my I3 yesterday as my last one decided to cut off never to be turned on again. First time I have had a problem with it to be fair. Anyway, to let you all know that the version replaced has city select maps v8 on it according to the maps screen in settings. I trust many other people have the V8 maps too.
Cheers
Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: