Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Fees - Details
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Fees - Details
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoorStudent
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Quote:
What software are you using?

Destinator ND.... Crying or Very sad
b34r5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've done a lot of thinking and, in my mind, definately delivered the goods. Im really pleased to see you've given us some more options, and you seem to have settled a lot of concerns; the package you are putting together for us definately justifies the cost for me. So.. well done, and thankyou Smile I look foward to subscribing, and hopefully participating (although I must say.. I cant remember the last time I passed a camera which wasnt on your database!).

Just a few things- I was thinking about Mobile locations; how will these be verefied? They might be quite hard to confirm and this could result in abuse of the rewards for reporting cameras, and inaccuracies in the database.

Also, one more minor thing, as have so many others asked.. could you tell us if you are considering implementing a 'change log' with new updates to the database? As suggested, an area-by-area list of new speed cams and edits would be really useful.

Thanks again
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherryton - I think you are referring to the wrong road when you mention the A92. The GATSO removed from the database near the McDonalds at the Forfar turnoff is on the A90. One was also removed from the A90 Kirriemuir turn at the same time. Also the new 50 limit GATSO's you refer to are again on the A90, not the A92, at Laurencekirk (just near where I live) - GATSO numbers 6649 and 6650 in the database. There are so many warnings of these cameras, ie solar powered slow down signs before each GATSO if you are going more than 50, you would have to be asleep to get caught by them!

I notified all these changes to Richard at the time they all changed and they are reflected in the current database.
triops99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: A voice of suppoet :-) Reply with quote

(Disregard the cockup involved in creating a totally new thread...hey, I'm new here!)

I've been a reader here for a while, but feel moved to actually join and say my piece over the Great Speedcam Data Charging debate.

I changed jobs in August to one that involved working across the UK, and duly bought a Satnav (Navman icn520) to help out. Partly the choice came through comments I read here, having been deeply suspicious of the effectiveness of Satnavs previously. I was unaware even of the existence of something as useful as a Speedcam database at the time.

The net result of this site's aid has been that I have hardly ever looked at a road atlas since, I've negotiated my way round central London, Birmingham and Manchester, covered something like 10000 miles in the last 4 months and been consistently surprised and impressed by the accuracy of the Speedcam information that keeps me on my toes when driving along unfamiliar roads.

Like anyone else, I would love to always get useful things for free - but the satnav itself set me back something like £300 at the time and I didnt object to paying for that, so it seems churlish to object to a couple of pounds a time to keep the speedcam information up to date. If the team here do as many have requested and publish some kind of update information so I know that I ought to update this month if Im venturing into Kent or somesuch - it will continue to have my support and regular useage. When you consider what the police charge when you accidentally find a camera while travelling at a speed above the recommended one, I reckon its a bargain Smile
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as there is a downloadable version that will work straightforwardly with Destinator PN I will be more than happy to pay for the downloads !

I currently use AA Speedcare as it's so simply to use and update, but if I can have an update that works OK with my Destinator then all well and good.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
cherryton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mearns wrote:
cherryton - I think you are referring to the wrong road when you mention the A92. The GATSO removed from the database near the McDonalds at the Forfar turnoff is on the A90. One was also removed from the A90 Kirriemuir turn at the same time. Also the new 50 limit GATSO's you refer to are again on the A90, not the A92, at Laurencekirk (just near where I live) - GATSO numbers 6649 and 6650 in the database. There are so many warnings of these cameras, ie solar powered slow down signs before each GATSO if you are going more than 50, you would have to be asleep to get caught by them!

I notified all these changes to Richard at the time they all changed and they are reflected in the current database.

Good Point - was thinking A90 but wrote down A92. The one at McDonalds is still showing on my last download (November)?

I agree that there is a lot of warning at Kirrimuir - but I still know 3 people who have been 'flashed' here - all while on the phone! I know.... a BAD combination
bpmhutch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Destinator PN and Speed Camera Database (SCdB) Reply with quote

Dave R

I tried the SCdB with Destinator PN and it worked but not as I would have liked. I now use POI Observer and the SCdB as per the following link "http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=32251" and everything works exactly as I would want. Give it a try.

Peter

PS - I'm happy to pay for the SCdB
cherryton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b34r5 wrote:

Just a few things- I was thinking about Mobile locations; how will these be verefied? They might be quite hard to confirm and this could result in abuse of the rewards for reporting cameras, and inaccuracies in the database.

Many of the Scottish Police forces adopt an open policy and actually publish details of Mobile camera operations in the local newspapers.

I have not added all of these points (below) but several are very active and are used on an almost weekly basis. Now it is easier to upload POI's (once I get the application working) I guess the accuracy of the whole database will increase dramaticaly.

See link - Does this count as verification? the exact POI in many cases is still not on tha database. In this case it covers Central Scotland Police (A, B and C Division).

http://www.centralscotland.police.uk/news/news.php?id=463&page=2
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b34r5 wrote:
although I must say.. I cant remember the last time I passed a camera which wasnt on your database

I made this assumption the first time I used it, until Lutz put me straight, collect ALL the cameras, new and old - this will help to verify the accuracy of the database, and obviously improve it for the benefit of all users - Mike
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the vitriolic thread I do consider the charge reasonable and I will be subscribing when the charges come in .
I have and will continue to enjoy this forum and have been greatly helped in times of dire need.
And just to show the goodwill that I hold for this site all the 50MPH cameras between J4 and J3 in the roadworks on the M3 have gone and all the 40MPH cameras between J12 and 14 on the M25 have gone and I will still be paying the subscription
CoPilot

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A voice of suppoet :-) Reply with quote

triops99 wrote:
If the team here do as many have requested and publish some kind of update information so I know that I ought to update this month ...

We are intending to publish a summarised list of changes. It is not clear yet as to what detail we will go into we are still working on the software to update the system. It may be an arbitary split by lat/lon with details of additions/changes/removals.
Etwell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Darren.

Our coverage exceeds 95% of the static camera sites and a much better proportion of mobile and temporary sites than any others.

This is interesting, on two counts.

The current Government thinking is that the present spread of cameras is to be discouraged.
Also that some that have 'proliferated' should be removed.

This might suggest that your current database will not need to grow.

Now, most of us make regular journeys, of whatever distance. If you are using a PDA as a SatNav you have the ability to record POI and attach sounds. These can be grouped and then implimented in the usual way and will appear on the maps.

This is no more difficult than noting the position and informing PGPS as in the past. Run it alongside your last datbase download if you wish, and you have a permenant current record.

Having not submitted for some time nor posted I shall be curious to see if the free offerings appear in due course.
furryfred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My congratulations regarding a first class com,promise solution. I think it is fair to all - and I will be signing up as and when required.
£20 per year is a damn site better thanE60 per year for an inferior database as provided by TomTom.

One slight gripe though!

I will be wanting to claim my free months for uploading new and ameded sites to you, but you POI Capture software will not work with my TT Go 700 using the latest software.

Can we please have updated software as soon as it is available?

(a very very nice, handsome and generous gentleman who is really rather modest, shy and retiring!)

They didn't make many like him - and now they've lost the mould!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furryfred wrote:
I will be wanting to claim my free months for uploading new and ameded sites to you, but you POI Capture software will not work with my TT Go 700 using the latest software.

Can we please have updated software as soon as it is available?

I'm afraid that's down to TT. Until they release the SDK there's not much we can do. Sad

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Aran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get my £19 per year Smile Seems very reasonable

I am sure there will be more moaning and complaining from the tight asses on the forum and internet who always want everything for free and shout lots when it's not, but you are always gonna get that Smile

Good luck getting it all up and running I will keep my eye on the forum

Cheers
Aran

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 6 of 44

Jump to: