Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP Ipaq RZ1710 (map problem)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Ipaq RZ1710 (map problem)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andysmith6575
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: HP Ipaq RZ1710 (map problem) Reply with quote

Can anyone help me to help my bro-in-law, he has brought the hp ipaq rz1710 with Via Michelin software already on the sd card, it came with its own cradle, which he has since found out that he can only use that cradle and gps system with via michelin, the problem he has is that the nav system wont even find his own house number, is there anyway of using another map on via michelin i.e tom tom 5, he has tom tom 5 software and was hoping to install on the hp ipaq rz1710 which he can do but cant use because of the gps system , any help for him would be most appreciated from anyone, if you can use tom tom 5 mapsor even any other map, can ya tell me how to install this

thanks
andy
b34r5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also very much like to change the map but have no idea how to do it Confused I have asked on here before, but to no avail. I assume it can be done, as in the ViaMich software, there is the option to select another map and 'change map'. But I fear this may only change the area maps, which are in essense just a cut down version of the original map, not a whole new UK map Sad
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, as far as I know there is no way of using TomTom maps on ViaMichelin. SatNav software and the maps they use, even though they often come from the same original source, are not mix-and-match.

As for using the ViaMichelin-specific Kirrio cradle to run other satnav software, I also understand that this is not possible. All manufacturers, whatever their business, have an interest in locking you in to their products. However, this thread seems to offer some hope that you can get Kirrio and TomTom to talk to each other. Give it a try.

I think that not finding your own house number on the maps, while frustrating, may not be a good reason for giving up on ViaMichelin completely. I’m sure your brother-in-law has no difficulty finding his own house, so is this really a problem for him ? My experience has been that if a specific house number isn’t found then it’s usually very easy to just navigate to the one next door or opposite. I don’t think every individual building is located on the maps, but just a few numbers in each street (that’s just my impression, and may not be correct). Of course, there’s always a problem with houses without numbers, like my own.

B34, the change map option in ViaMichelin doesn’t include changing to the maps from another supplier. It simply means to switch, for example, from a map of Germany to a map of France.
Andysmith6575
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: via michelin Reply with quote

thanks for all thats replied to my problem, my brother-in-law and i have managed to install tom tom 5 onto the hp ipaq rz1710 with a little help from other members, so he now uses tom tom 5 inc speed cameras on his pda, and can also use the cradle gps,

thankyou for all ya help
andy
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy. Does the Kirrio mount speaker work with Tom Tom 5 ?

Regards

Stuart
Andysmith6575
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi stuart,

i have spoke to my bro-in-law, and he says NO, its the only thing that he cant get to work apparently, but everything else works fine, i,e the speedcameras voices etc, he thinks because the cradle has a built in ampiflier and via michelin must configure it to work with that program only,

sorry i cant be more helpful

andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: