Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone used maps of spain?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone used maps of spain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Anyone used maps of spain? Reply with quote

I have used the MRE maps in Spain and to be honest they were ok for getting from town to town.

Im going driving in spain ( costa del sol area/ granada) twice this year so was considering getting the street level maps. Are they ok for say, finding hotels? Do they cope with one way/bus lanes in Granada?

Ive seen them on ebay for about £65, is this cheap?

Thanks

Mark
TT300_Owner
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how good the maps are, so can't help there - but does seem expensive seeing as you can get all the Maps of Western Europe for £93 from eBuyer (for example)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=14531254249&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=100906
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the MoWE, (up-dated discs in June) and have used the Spanish map for a couple of trips, but not for locating hotels etc. Seemed to work fine even in the hills, with small roads.

The Safety Camera POI list jangled away around Barcelona and Valencia, but I often couldn't notice anything!

Only 'problem' was a direction to go the wrong way up a one-way street!
Luckily I knew it was wrong, so ignored it. I reported it on the Tomtom site, but have had no notification that they've done anything about it.. . . . . . . which is par for the course, seemingly!
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used spainish map around costa blanca, mostly ok, did come across a round about that in real life did not exist but besides that even back roads seemed to be mapped ok.

will be using extensivly in 2006. will advise.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the "old" maps in Spain last September. They were fine in the roads along the south of the Pyrenees from Bilbao to Andorra. If you have the address of the hotel you will find it on the GO using the address. The inbuilt PoIs did not have any of the hotels we used (Paradors).
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies,
Sorry I meant to ask where s the best place for spanish POIs? I assumme that these work on MRE ( providing the POI is on a main road) and local maps .
Good idea about the full CD for not much more but just hiring a car in Spain this year so need for them.
Perhaps the maps can be bought cheaper in spain , hmmmm ebay.es might be worth a look.

Cheers

Mark
TT300_Owner
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't they the cheapest then on TomTom's own site Question Exclamation Question Exclamation

http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/mds.php

You want the maps of Iberia : only 60 euros (about £43)!
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way if to buy a city or area map they come with their own POI database which inludes most hotesls and you can then use the major routes for travelling outside the zone.

Paris cost me about £10 iirr compared to £100 for the complete french map.
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I know that it says advanced next to me name but that dates back to when the TTgo had just been invented, sorry if that fooled ya , all this new stuff is way above me.

I dont think I have plus ( TT GO classic) , I was kinda looking for maps on an SD card ( like the ones that we had in the good old days??)

Thanks Smile
bestyman
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Me again and confused.

The last that I knew ( erm, 4 months ago) was that no major maps of countries were available for download. Looking at the link you sent me ( thanks) it seems that as you say maps of spain are available .

Sorry, been away from the forum obviously too long ( or this wine is stronger than I thought) but how does this map download thing work?

Thanks

Mark
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You download the map from the TomTom site to your PC.

Then buy a blank SD card that's big enough, copy the map to it along with a copy of the system software (free download). TomTom send you a product code either with the download or by e-mail . Put that, along with the device code, into www.ttcode.com and get the activation code. When you put the new card into the GO it will (probably) ask for the activation code. Type it in and away you go.

Or you can get a bigger blank card and copy your existing card to it. Then just add the downloaded map (extra system software not needed). Switch between GB and Iberia maps with Change Prefs/manage Maps/switch map.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can now buy the whole of europe on 1 sd card.
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
You download the map from the TomTom site to your PC.

Then buy a blank SD card that's big enough, copy the map to it along with a copy of the system software (free download). TomTom send you a product code either with the download or by e-mail . Put that, along with the device code, into www.ttcode.com and get the activation code. When you put the new card into the GO it will (probably) ask for the activation code. Type it in and away you go.

Or you can get a bigger blank card and copy your existing card to it. Then just add the downloaded map (extra system software not needed). Switch between GB and Iberia maps with Change Prefs/manage Maps/switch map.

sgould, have you actually had to do this when you downloaded a map or is it an assumption?

I'd been wondering about whether these 'downloaded maps' needed activation codes, like the maps on CD's.

Why? Because the 'Country' maps you buy already loaded on SD cards, from Tomtom, seemingly don't require any activation process; I know two or so folks who have made use of this feature!!! Say no more.

So the next ponder is what about the Seamless European Map on SD card?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: