Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Miomap v2 - the good, the bad and the mystery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Miomap v2 - the good, the bad and the mystery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Miomap v2 - the good, the bad and the mystery Reply with quote

I eventually got the Miomap v2 upgrade. Installed OK - took just under 2 hours. On balance I definitely prefer it. So based on 1 days use:

Good points:

New "linear distance" mode is very welcome - just an arrow pointing you to your destination with distance remaining. Great for when you're off road.

Speed limits display where known.

No need to select seperate maps on the mio 269 - they're all there withut selecting your country. Presumably this means you can cross borders without switching maps. It's a bit daft that there is a big "Map" button though on the main screen when there is only one to select!

Interface looks nicer.

Nice easy to use "Night mode".

Points of interest have telephone numbers for each one - very handy.

Can now enter lat long co-ordinates as a destination point. Combined with the linear distance mode this makes it a much more realistic option for going walking with.

The "block road" facility is much improved - you just need to say how far ahead the obstruction is from some big buttons and it will recalculate the route easily.

Now shows likely or known traffic signs - (but not always)

You can scroll around the map a lot easier than before - seems to redraw everything much quicker.

Bad points:

There is an overlarge bar on the right of the screen that I haven't found a way to get rid of. All it shows is the battery strength, how many satellites you have locked onto and TMC details. As I understand it TMC won't work in the UK which is a real shame (unless anyone knows different?). So theres a lot of the screen being taken up with not very much.

It's a real shame that the arrow pointing to the destination in linear distance mode can't be seen too in the other modes.

When you click into navigation mode in the "extended" mode there are 3 buttons at the bottom of the screen. One for recent destinations (sadly with a silly icon rather than a label), one for "favourites" (i.e. saved destinations" represented as a rather daft heart symbol, and then another mystery icon - like an ID card. I'd love someone to tell me what this button is for because I have no idea and can't find it in the manual.

So on balance definitely an upgrade worth having.
forest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice write up freddie, have been waiting with interest for this type of post.

any chance of any screen shots? thanks in advance.
Freddie100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screen shots are beyond me I'm afraid. But if you pm me your email address I'll e-mail you the manual that comes on the the upgrade DVD. That's got loads of screenshots on it (but it's a 2mb file). The manual is a decent attempt to be comprehensive but as you probably suspect it's got some some dodgy translations. And I still can't work out that ID card button! What on earth does it do?

By the way - my disk came without the upgrade instructions - but you can download them here: http://tinyurl.com/87w7v

Note too that the upgrade disk is a DVD not a CD so there may be a small number of people who'll need to upgrade their PC before the upgrade can be installed. Sadly if you want to update the ROM image (compulsary in some cases as you'll see) and you have the mio 269 you'll need an SD card and card reader too.
Freddie100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 160 reads of this thread..and no-one knows what the "ID card" button does?
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody knows so we keep checking back to find out the answer. Wink
goldenoldie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: What is this "ID-Card" ? Reply with quote

This icon is refers to Microsoft Outlook Contacts,.If you have any installed, then clicking on this will allow you to navigate to that contact's destination.
Freddie100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Before you posted I'd given up and rang the mio helpline to ask them about it. They told me that it was for contacts too but the guy I spoke to claimed that it wasn't linked to navigation in any way. I was a bit dubious about this but haven't tested it becasue I have never used the contacts feature anyway. The mio guy also told me that they've had lots of calls about it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: