Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Argos....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Argos....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Argos.... Reply with quote

I bought a StreetPilot i3 from Argos on the 18th November. I ordered it from their website for collection in store. I bought it from Argos specifically because they had a 16 day returns policy. On the website, any items excluded from this guarantee have a small cross next to the name of the item. Here is the page on their website showing that the i3 has no cross next to the item name (at time of writing anyway!):

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7400995.htm

For comparison, here's the TomTom 300 on the Argos site. Note the small cross next to the name:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7400830.htm

Unfortunately, the unit would not work through my car windscreen (heat reflective and no mention on their advert that this would be a problem) so I decided to take it back and go get myself a SiRF Star 3 equipped TomTom One.

I was told by the Argos store that I couldn't have a refund because the i3 was not covered under their 16 day money back guarantee. They wouldn't accept my arguments and told me that I would not be refunded under any circumstances. I had to drive home and print off screenshots of their own website!

I took the printed pages back to the store the same evening and was once again told that I would not get a refund. Eventually they brought out the store manager who told me that the website was nothing to do with their store, despite the fact I reserved it on the site for collection at that specific store. He told me that the cashier would make a point of saying that the item wasn't covered, so I mentioned that I'd paid at one of the automatic payment machines at the front of the store.

He then told me that because the serving staff who hand over the goods would have known that the item was not covered, then that was enough and it didn't matter that I didn't know about it.

We then proceeded to go over the same argument over and over again with him telling me that it didn't matter that the website didn't exclude it from the money back guarantee because his staff knew that it WAS excluded. My argument in return was that I was misled into buying the item as at no point was I able to know that the product wasn't included in their guarantee.

Only after about 15 minutes of increasingly loud arguing and the gathering of a small crowd of staff and customers did the manager suddenly change his mind and said 'on this occasion I am prepared to give you a refund'.

I'm really disappointed in Argos, even more so as I told them about this problem with their website description 3 days ago now and they've done nothing to put it right, so other people are going to end up in this situation. They're a big company and shouldn't have such a problem with admitting a relatively minor error, even if just as a matter of goodwill.

With all that in mind, I've gotta say...Argos....give it a miss ;)
r172
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Renault Clio. The TomTom one can get a fix through the screen just fine but not a single Satellite from the i3 unfortunately.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see how Argos were at fault here as the problem with your windscreen is not their fault it is something you should have checked yourself at your local car dealers. If the car screen does cause a problem getting a signal them fit a external Ariel that is the advice I have seen.

I take it that the device worked otherwise so I would say you were very lucky to get a refund as you used the item & it was not faulty so you were not entitled to a refund.

I have never had a problem with Argos so I will defend them.
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's down to trade descriptions. If they don't explain that it might not work through your windscreen and then it can't get a signal, they have to refund as the item was not fit for purpose. They can't hide behind crosses next to the name either. If the tomtom had failed to work, you're still entitled to a refund. They know this, they have to as part of their job. Perhaps this particular manager has had aggro with lots of people returning the i3's to that store?

At least you got your refund... goes to show that sometimes you need to fight for your rights.

Does the Argos 16 day guarantee still let you return things just because you decide you don't want them any more, or have they changed that?

More consumer advice on the trading standards site here:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0043-1011.txt
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any company explain that a GPS device might not work through your windscreen, I have never seen it stated.

If this GPS device works then it is fit for the purpose it was sold for & no fault of Argos & if Argos is being blamed here then all the other company's good or bad on this forum can be included as they do not warn you about the car the windscreen unless asked.
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the unit is functioning correctly, then legally Argos have no liability. The windscreen on the Clio is no fault of Argos so they don't have to offer a refund.

The whole 14/16 day thing is not something that a retailer is obliged to offer. They only offer it as a gesture of goodwill. They can also reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time without notice.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of you are missing the (legal) point here. By law Argos do not have to offer a 16 day money back guarantee, but if they do so then that becomes a term of the contract between you and them whenever you buy anything that it applies to (especially as it is clearly stated in their catalogue). Once the contract has been made (at the point of sale) Argos are not able to change any of the terms of that contract and therefore cannot "withdraw" this term. They can only "withdraw" such an offer before the contract is made, not after.

They therefore have a contractual obligation to honour that term, and that obligation can be enforced in the courts.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Argos.... Reply with quote

r172 wrote:
I bought it from Argos specifically because they had a 16 day returns policy.

I was told by the Argos store that I couldn't have a refund because the i3 was not covered under their 16 day money back guarantee.

I'm sure a few other people here have returned their i3's to Argos and exchanged them because they had the v7 rather than v8 maps. Maybe it's just one particular Argos store where the manager was being a pain in the argos?

Care to name and shame the store? I'm sure the head office would like to have a word with them. Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: