Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com launch POICapture for TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com launch POICapture for TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for the error, the zip file downloaded was system-5.202, and my Go shows that I am now using V5.202.
I take there is not a version 5.203?

Ta
EOS20D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. This is my first post so apologies if it is in the wrong place or already answered.

Go700.

I can't find out how to do the following. After successfully installing the speed camera database, speed camera voice warnings and POI Capture my telephone symbol that was on the first screen that comes up after touching the screen has moved to the last page. Can I edit anything to move it back to the first screen. I have read all the posts here and it seems that the .mnu file is the one but everyone seems to be having a lot of trouble changing things.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
regards
Trevor
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doff wrote:

I take there is not a version 5.203?

Ta

There is, but it's not widely distributed. 5.202 is good enough.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is answered before, but I have a couple of questions:

Actually - when is the coordinates captured?

It seems like it is straight after the message "POICapture is loading..." message disapearing, or in fact the POICapture app have started. I recognise a little delay here on my 700. (the POI are placed 1 sec after I have pressed the ikon for starting POIcapture)

Could the Preferenses ikon be placed on the first screen for POIcapture?
It is a little bit confusing to record a POI and select type etc before you can access this funktion. I believe there is a good reason why this is like this, - so its not ment as critisism, - but just my "need to know" that is playing in my head...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, coordinates are captured first thing when the application is started. However you need to keep in mind that GPS has a refresh rate of 1 Hz, so worst case you have data that is 1 second old.

the preferences icon has been put on the last screen because it is used much less often than the other icons. We rather have a slightly awkward path to it than have it on the first screen collecting dust....

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I see... it make sense!

What is the "Start/Stop Timer" function under "preferenses" ?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the timer is enabled and you run POICapture it will record a camera of "unknown type unknown speed this side" within five seconds UNLESS you make a selection within that time. Most people seem to think this is a useless feature so we didn't advertise it.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be some dumb cause I cant finf the .mnu file that came with poicapture. Any suggestions please

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
DerekG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: POIcapture.cap conflicts with POIwarner.cap Reply with quote

Lutz,

As the author of POIcapture, you might have the best perspective on this issue with POI Warner's (www.navigating.de) modification of the TomTom menus.

POIwarner creates a .CAP file (just like you) in the SDKregistry directory, but there is no .mnu file present, just the .bmp files to drive the extra icons on a fifth menu page. I've not found whether a .mnu file is created "on-the-fly" and deleted when TTN5 closes down, but there is no permanent .mnu file in the SDKregistry directory as a result of POIwarner's installation and execution logic. My assumption is that POIwarner extends the standard menu built into the TTN5 executable program and runs it from memory without having to save it to a file.

After installing your POIcapture I get all the expected results and none of the problems that previous posts have had to grapple with. However, I guess that POIwarner's .cap file is not being executed, or at least if it is, POIcapture's preferred replacement (based on the stored .mnu file) is superseding it.

I'd like the best of both worlds, your POI capture processing and POIwarner's detection, but how do I achieve it? Do I merge the .cap files, and does it matter which order I place the merged lines of code (i.e. yours in front or behind)? Is the solution fundamentally flawed since you rely on a stored .mnu file and POIwarner doesn't? I guess that POIcapture needs a .mnu file to promote the capture icon to page 1, because otherwise, the additional icon(s) are placed in their default location on pages 4 and 5 - as other people have experienced when the .mnu file can't be found or isn't installed properly.

Well done Thumbs Up on such a splendid applet, I just hope you are not disappointed by the number of issues that get thrown up?
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After over a dozen re-formats and installations it has finally worked albeit I now have my phone on last page, unless there is an easy way ro get this back to page 1 I will leave well alone

lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding POIWarner:

It is possible to include just a CAP file and not change the TomTom.mnu

But that means the POIWarner icon will appear on a new menu page after all standard items.

If you have more than one CAP file in the folder AND you are using a custom TomTom.mnu file then this TomTom.mnu file needs to contain references to all the CAP files.

You do that by placing TASK_SDK1, TASK_SDK2, etc at the appropriate places in the TomTom.mnu

For example: (PLEASE NOTE THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE!!!)

Code:
MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Menu 1 of 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_SDK1|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Menu 2 of 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main Menu 3 of 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_WEATHER|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD|
MENUITEM|TASK_DIAL_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL|
MENUITEM|TASK_EXIT_APP|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Main Menu 4 of 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SDK2|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

This would bring POIWarner back into the fourth page.

There is a very weird twist to all that. You have no way of influencing the order in which the CAP files are called. SDK1 could point to POICapture, but it could also point to POIWarner. I know what that decision is based on, but it will be too embarassing for TomTom if I make this public here - let's give them a chance to fix it quietly.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracked it. All now hunky Dory, phone now on page 1 as well as poicapture

Laughing Jumping With Joy Merry Xmas

DerekG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: POIwarner menus Reply with quote

Lutz,

I had to slowly read your response a couple of times but it makes perfect sense. I inserted the additional MENUITEM|TASK_SDK statements you suggested and - as luck would have it - POIcapture ends up on page 1 and the multiple POIwarner icons display neatly in a separate page of their own on the end. Whatever the embarrassing coding mistake was that TomTom have made, it appears not to disrupt the POIwarner and POIcapture merge. Thanks for your help and well done for such a useful TTN add-on.

For anyone wishing to attempt the same menu merge, you will not get any POIwarner menu items unless you modify the TomTom.mnu file found as part of POIcapture's installation in folder \TomTom\SDKregistry found in the root of your PDA's main memory. The last 6 lines of the menu are:

Code:
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY|
MENUITEM|TASK_SET_PLANTYPE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

and I suggest the following replacements.

Code:
MENUITEM|TASK_SDK2|
MENUITEM|TASK_SDK3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SDK4|
MENUITEM|TASK_SDK5|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

The 4 menu items being taken out are duplicates of those found in "Change Preferences" anyway. I imaging Lutz put them in to pad-out the menu so all the right-arrow icons in the POIcapture installation fall in the same place. If you really want to keep these duplicate "Change Preferences" items then it is quite a simple matter to replicate (and correctly amend) the page headers in the menu file, so that the POIwarner icons then end up on their own page 5. (If you can't work out how to do this menu replication for yourself then I would suggest that you consider NOT making this level of system change).

Thanks again to Lutz.
DerekG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz,

I really feel that TomTom's embarrassment should come second place to explaining a quirky bug to other interested forum members. I don't know if the bug I've found in the SDK menu processing is the same as the one you hinted at, but if you hadn't given me such a big hint, I'd have wasted many hours looking in the wrong direction!

If there is more than one .cap file in the SDKregistry folder, then TomTom processes them in reverse date order (i.e. newest first, oldest last) - not alphabetically as you might expect! A point to check is that POIcapture.cap should have a newer date than POIwarner.cap and, if not, just open and save the problem file to reset it to the current date and time. This is only likely to occur if you amend the .cap files to (maybe) change the icon name or the file path for the programs if you relocate them from the standard folder to a memory card.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, you are getting pretty close.. :-)

Two more things to consider
- a cap file can serve more than one icon
- the system time on the GO is not settable, and it changes to Jan 1 2005 with each soft reset.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: