Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - View contents of transflash card??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

View contents of transflash card??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
survivalskills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you've all probably guessed by now, I swapped the cards between i3s last night and the original memory card out of one i3 cannot be read by the other...

I've also noticed that the .unl file that's on the card has an original date and time stamp of 01/01/1601 00:00:00... but when you copy the file to the HD for backup purposes, the date is changed to whatever it was when you created the copy.

I'd be very careful indeed about copying this file BACK to your original card in case it renders the card unreadable.

You can't reset a file's properties to show this time with normal date stamping software, at least none of the ones I've tried will go back beyond 1985.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you've all probably guessed by now, I swapped the cards between i3s last night and the original memory card out of one i3 cannot be read by the other...

Thats what I would have first imagined, however the guy with 2 SDCards says either card will work in his I3?

If what you both say is true I can only infer that SD cards are produced by one supplier in batches and corresponding batches of I3s are produced by another supplier. The security encription comparing serial nos from card to unit being such that any SD card in the right batch will work with any I3 in the corresponding batch. This would eliminate the need to run some config on each I3 after its card was inserted which would add time, labour and cost to production process. A few cards from each batch being retained by Garmin for spares. If this were the case after market map software would be provided on SD-cards with specific serial range that would work on any I3.

This is all hyperthetical.

Think your being a bit ameteur with those files and data markers I would stop dicking around with them.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest try running this to see if it shows any thing : http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm

I have used it to recover data off drives that have been lost or formated,including old tom tom setiings on my Cf card

Dave
survivalskills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Think your being a bit ameteur with those files and data markers I would stop dicking around with them.

Rolling Eyes I thought it was a moderately useful bit of info...

If someone backs the card up thinking they can restore it with the modded date unlock file, they might be a bit miffed to find it doesn't work?

I freely admit I'm not an expert on this kind of stuff but given the nature of the card and my past experience of compact flash and SD cards which have corrupted in use, I'd like to crack the backup thing.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
Out of interest try running this to see if it shows any thing : http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm

I have used it to recover data off drives that have been lost or formated,including old tom tom setiings on my Cf card

Dave

i have copied the card contents onto my hardrive ..i cant open any of the files and i've used three data recovery programs with no success....but then i thought why do i want to do this ?...the card must be protected pretty well so it wont get corrupted and theres only a slight chance i would loose it..so i'm leaving it as it is.....
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

survivalskills wrote:

I've also noticed that the .unl file that's on the card has an original date and time stamp of 01/01/1601 00:00:00... but when you copy the file to the HD for backup purposes, the date is changed to whatever it was when you created the copy.

I'd be very careful indeed about copying this file BACK to your original card in case it renders the card unreadable.

It dosen't make the card unreadable, the date on the .unl file on mine now reads 9 November 2005, copied the Garmin folder off my transflash card yesterday to my pc then deleted the Garmin folder off the original card supplied by Garmin, copied the copy i had stored on my pc back to the transflash card and all worked fine, exactly as it was before.
Paul
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
i have copied the card contents onto my hardrive ..i cant open any of the files and i've used three data recovery programs with no success....but then i thought why do i want to do this ?...the card must be protected pretty well so it wont get corrupted and theres only a slight chance i would loose it..so i'm leaving it as it is.....

All the files can be opened with various programs, the .unl file for example can be opened in something as simple as notepad, if you right click it. Wink
Paul
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should change to a new link under the topic:-

"Understanding Why it is impossible to copy the SD-card"

Regarding the access times. I would think the Original files had date set to epoch "0" for a time, m time, and create time.

Seems it does not matter if you change them (or some of them) anyway.

These dates can be altered under unix or linux.

On a complete tangent, I was searching the internet for subject surounding this. I know how to change access time and what have you under linux but I dont know a simple way to display all date info on a file under linux as I can easily do in windows. When I came accross a document on the subject of how to check hard drives & media for evidence of criminal intent. At the bottom it read:

MAC: Modification, Access, Change
touch -m updates the modify time
touch -a updates the access time
can't (easily) update the change time? (liars) Twisted Evil

Now you ask your self ....
RODTROTTER
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can confirm i have 2 original garmin v7 transflash cards they both work in my i3 i have not tried them in another i3 but i would think they would work or may be iam wrong dont know unless i try so as soon as i find some one with a i3 i will c
survivalskills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It dosen't make the card unreadable, the date on the .unl file on mine now reads 9 November 2005, copied the Garmin folder off my transflash card yesterday to my pc then deleted the Garmin folder off the original card supplied by Garmin, copied the copy i had stored on my pc back to the transflash card and all worked fine, exactly as it was before.

You're braver than I am ;)
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if they are halfwits or not, someone will manage to hack it.

Anyway, why did the guy from Garmin tell me it is possible to back it up if it isn't?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hucker wrote:

Anyway, why did the guy from Garmin tell me it is possible to back it up if it isn't?

we probably know more about the i3 than the garmin peeps..
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:

Dave

Those look very useful for other purposes, thanks!

As for the i3 cards, my parcel is stuck at the post office as I was out :-(
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
hucker wrote:

we probably know more about the i3 than the garmin peeps..

Now that's not very nice..... although he did say "we tried a backup in the office" - as in the suport team don't actually know much about the technical details!
hucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat. Tried Norton Ghost 2003 (using switches -ir -ib for a forensic copy), and I've got what appears to be an identical copy of the card (the card was purchased from mobymemory and is a sandisk (although made in China instead oif Taiwan). The gmapsupp.unl file has no date for example. But the i3 says "please upload map", pressing back shows a very basic map with motorways only. Those Ghost switches are supposed to do a sector by sector copy (including unpartitioned space), so it should have worked. I've asked Norton tech support....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: