Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5.1 itinerary planning: "Point on map"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5.1 itinerary planning: "Point on map"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: TT5.1 itinerary planning: "Point on map" Reply with quote

Sorry to ask two questions in one day, but hopefully the answer to this one will save me a lot of stress on a busy day come Thursday;

Travelling from home to an airport at peak time I want to be quite specific with my route (which is not even close to any route that TomTom plans and I don't have TT Traffic to help); I know the quickest way according to friends who have told me, so I just need TomTom to help ensure I don't take wrong turns.

Easy, I thought: Define an itinerary with waypoints on the junctions I want to guarantee that I pass through.

So, to be sure this worked I added each waypoint as a "Point on map" with map zoom set to the absolute maximum to ensure accuracy even down to the correct side of the road on dual carriageways.

Unfortunately, it seems that instead of storing a "Point on map" it stores the whole damned section of road. This means that for five of the waypoints I drive them twice; yes, viewing the route using pictures shows that TomTom sends me to the next junction past the waypoint, U-turn, back past it in the opposite direct, U-turn at the next junction, and then back past it again before continuing to the next waypoint! Some of these U-turns are quite a distance from the waypoint so unless I have my wits about me and know when to "set waypoint as visited" I'm going to do a lot of extra driving.

So, although TomTom5 doesn't have the "navigate by coordinates" that TomTom3 had, is there a workaround to either do this or ensure that a selected "Point on map" really is a point on the map and not a whole section of road?

Many thanks indeed.
iPAQ 2210 / TomTom 5.10 / CheckPOInt 3 / SysOnChip CF card Antenna with 256Mb / Sandisk 1.0GB SD / Arklon amplified mount plus Brodit Proclip for Volvo V70 / 3.5mm-3.5mm audio lead for use with Autocom intercom on Honda Hornet motorbike
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bug.

Can you use Intersections instead?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: TT5.1 itinerary planning: "Point on map" Reply with quote

SjB wrote:

So, although TomTom5 doesn't have the "navigate by coordinates" that TomTom3 had, is there a workaround to either do this or ensure that a selected "Point on map" really is a point on the map and not a whole section of road?

Many thanks indeed.

Haven't used point on map directly into itineries before. But what I do is I have a POI category called "Route Points" which I use to set my waypoints and then I use these in the itinery plan.
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately trying to select intersections also selects a complete stretch of road; for example:

1) Find a roundabout on the map
2) Zoom in to maximum scale
3) Selectively and very accurately click round the roundabout
4) Notice that every selection results in the section of roundabout together with a section of road being highlighted
5) Repeat test with major crossroads
6) Observe the same restriction; a section of road is also highlighted
7) Repeat test with minor (residential) streets
8) Observe the restriction does NOT apply

Any ideas how to solve, please, or at least workaround this apparent bug (that perhaps should be added to the known bug thread?)

Cheers.
iPAQ 2210 / TomTom 5.10 / CheckPOInt 3 / SysOnChip CF card Antenna with 256Mb / Sandisk 1.0GB SD / Arklon amplified mount plus Brodit Proclip for Volvo V70 / 3.5mm-3.5mm audio lead for use with Autocom intercom on Honda Hornet motorbike
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Hewitt wrote:

Haven't used point on map directly into itineries before. But what I do is I have a POI category called "Route Points" which I use to set my waypoints and then I use these in the itinery plan.

Thanks Mark. Looks like we cross posted. I will try this technique right away and report back.
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joy sorry Mark;

I created a new POI category called "Waypoint" but when I set such a POI by choosing "Point on map" an entire section of road is selected. Even if I click to one side of the road (i.e. "free space") it selects the nearest road and highlights the entire section between the two nearest junctions.

When I susbsequently use the way point in an Itinerary I get navigated along the road three times as described above; once as expected on my journey, then back (to complete the "visit"), then back for a third time to continue the journey to the next waypoint.

Sometimes (only twice that I have found) a roundabout is defined as a "circular road" in its own right so selecting it means only that I am forced to do a 360 to visit it! Other roundabouts though when selected include a stretch of road as described.

Currently very disappointed; I have found TomTom (3 and 5) to be great products and am a big fan, but the first time I have tried to do something "really useful" it appears to have let me down. Sad
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this

Options > Next > Browse Map

Put your cursor exactly where you want your POI to be

Options > Use Cursor > Add as POI

Select your POI category

Give you POI a name, then done.

The POI should now be in the exact place you want it, then you choose navigate to POI (not point on map). And it should take you directly there.
SjB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! :D

Despite still highlighting the whole section of road during setup infact it does indeed store a precise POI location.

Now to get in to the habit of "delete POI category" and "(re)Create POI category" (i.e the same one) as a fast track way of ensuring that I don't end up with a zillion POI waypoints after a few journeys defined using the newly learned technique; thankfully a quick test has shown that "Delete POI category" does a proper cascade delete of any associated POIs as well. They don't reappear when a POI category with the same name is created again.

Thanks very much for the top tip Mark.
I'm very grateful.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: