Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Databases
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Databases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: POI Databases Reply with quote

Driving home late on Saturday night from Manchester, my petrol warning light came on, and was shocked 8O that my trip meter said I only had 11 miles left in the tank.

No problems, I thought. I'll use TT5 to find the nearest petrol station. Great, the nearest was only 1.5 miles away. Set it to navigate there, only to end up in an industrial estate with no petrol station there.

Oh well, let's try the next one. Now I was navigating through Didsbury's backstreets at 1am arriving at the 'destination', but again with no petrol station in sight. What's going on ? Only 8 miles left in the tank. Starting to panic now.

Luckily, I got myself onto one of the main routes into Manchester and followed that until I found a petrol station. Phew, what a relief.

Obviously, I'm not too impressed with the accuracy of the database of petrol stations in TT5.

OK, there are others available, and I've installed the one from this site. But having looked at the local petrol stations, one is in the wrong place, and 3 other local ones (2 x Shell & 1 Sainsburys) are not shown at all.

I've also downloaded the one from poidownload.co.uk after following a link from Ray Flanagan's site. But this one again has many local stations missing.

This does not inspire me with confidence to find much needed petrol stations in unfamiliar areas should the need arise again.

Does anyone know of any accurate poi databases from other sources.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Baz Confused
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
MikeyF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

Have you tried poihandler.com - There are a few individual ones there so You'll either have to put up with this or do a bit of file editing.

Mikey
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the camera database on this site. Every set of POI's I've used are worthless. They either have massively incorrect data or just miss out the majority of what they should include.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed the poihandler database. On first looks, it appears very comprehensive, detailing petrol stations by brand. However, when I check the local petrol stations, it appears to suffer from the same inaccuracies and omissions.

I think we need PGPSW to administer this alongside the Safety Cameras, with users adding and amending as they find them. I'm sure Oldboy has the time. Shouldn't take too long Wink

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baz, I think Richard has far too much to do already with the excellent camera database and its upkeep to wory about fuel stops - I for one would not like an upto date fuel stop POI Database at the possible cost of degredation of the cameras - keeping the tank topped off before attempting a trip usually works for me - Not all fuel stops are 24HR so that alone presents a problem - Mike
shrubies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If some how we could get Shell, Sainburys and so on to give us the infomation, then we could put it into a POI file and make it an offical POI for that type.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrubies wrote:
If some how we could get Shell, Sainburys and so on to give us the infomation, then we could put it into a POI file and make it an offical POI for that type.

I have Shell's database from about July. I made a .csv file in Navman format from it, but even that may contain some errors as some of the postcodes weren't recognised. You can download it from the site in my WWW button link and convert it to .ov2. It was good enough for someone to sell it on a POI compilation CD. Angry
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I did put a Wink at the end of the suggestion, meaning it was tongue-in-cheek.

My problem occurred when was travelling to Manchester on Saturday evening to visit a friend. About 4 miles before I reached my destination my fuel warning light came on, and this usually means that I've got 50 miles left in the tank, so I was not unduly worried.

However, later that night when it was time to return home and I started the car, the trip meter said that I only had 11 miles left. This surprised me as I should have been able to get most of the way home on what I had left (although I wouldn't have risked it).

This meant that I had to find a petrol station urgently, and when TT5 failed to help in this respect, I became a bit anxious, as I didn't want to run out of fuel in the middle of Moss Side at 1 in the morning.

I'm sure that an accurate and regularly updated petrol station database would be useful but not practical in terms of workload involved to maintain it. Oh well, we can dream... Laughing

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazzer wrote:
I'm sure that an accurate and regularly updated petrol station database would be useful but not practical in terms of workload involved to maintain it. Oh well, we can dream...

You could try those I've done this year. The data is taken directly from the companies themselves.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomPOI/

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: