Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satellite System Thefts from vehicles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satellite System Thefts from vehicles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Satellite System Thefts from vehicles Reply with quote

b]Taken from the "Blackpool Evening Gazette" Mon 31st October 05[/b][
Drivers are being warned to hide all traces of Satellite Navigation System equipment following a spate of smash-and-grab thefts.
Four systems have been taken from parked vehicles in the South Shore area in the last three days.
Police say that in each case, although the screen itself was in the glove box, the thieves had spotted the empty holder on the dashboard, broken the window and snatched the unit from the glove compartment.

A police spokesman said: "It is important drivers remove ALL traces of the systems when they leave their vehicles.

Lets keep them out Guy's
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Satellite System Thefts from vehicles Reply with quote

SatNav wrote:
b]Taken from the "Blackpool Evening Gazette" Mon 31st October 05[/b][
Drivers are being warned to hide all traces of Satellite Navigation System equipment following a spate of smash-and-grab thefts.
Four systems have been taken from parked vehicles in the South Shore area in the last three days.
Police say that in each case, although the screen itself was in the glove box, the thieves had spotted the empty holder on the dashboard, broken the window and snatched the unit from the glove compartment.

A police spokesman said: "It is important drivers remove ALL traces of the systems when they leave their vehicles.

Lets keep them out Guy's

This is one thing I don't get - I can understand some people chosing not to remove the mount - it can be a bit of a pain.

What I can't understand is why people would then leave them in the glove compartment? I mean they all tend to be quite compact - so why on earth leave them in the car?

I could understand it more, were they cumbersome or bulky items, but portable sat nav units are pretty dinky. I just don't get why somebody would go to the trouble of removing it from the holder - and obviously thinking about car crime - then put it in the glove compartment.

These people make less sense to me than those that simply leave it in the car and on display.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like me a lot of peeps only use the i3 when doing long journeys or going to unknown places, i then take out of the car and take the i3 with me...for local stuff the i3 stays in the warm by my pc....
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT GOs are not quite so dinky as flat units are, I have a Navman 520 which I put in my pocket and the bracket and power lead in the glove box when I vacate the car, but I would not like a TT GO in my pocket.
shughie
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
TT GOs are not quite so dinky as flat units are, I have a Navman 520 which I put in my pocket and the bracket and power lead in the glove box when I vacate the car, but I would not like a TT GO in my pocket.
shughie

Well for that matter, the i3 is an inconvenient shape to put in a pocket - so I don't. I bought (£9.99 from Dixons) a small camcorder case, which seems an ideal size for the i3 and it's bracket, and power lead.

Point being, though, that although they may be a little awkward just to put in a pocket, they are small and dinky (perhaps inconveniently shaped, though) and can easily be put in a bag, or a case - it's not like they are so unwieldly to remove that it's an imposition to take them with you.

I just don't get the people who "hide" them in the car - they obviously "hide" them because they're scared of them being stolen - yet the first place a thief is likely to look is the glove compartment - and any paraphernailia in the car is likely to make them think it's worth looking.

As I said - people who do that, make less sense to me than people leaving them on show. People leaving them on show, are perhaps oblivious to the risk, or think wherever their car is, it will be safe. But the people who "hide" stuff in their glove compartment, clearly know there is a risk, but somehow believe that the glove compartment makes it all safe?
shughie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lester,
I wasn`t disagreeing with you, in fact I do agree. Anything left in a car is a target and far from safe. It`s like throwing a blanket over a horse and hoping no-one sees it, but they`ll still have a look under the blanket. If you don`t want to risk losing it, take it with you.
shughie.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
It`s like throwing a blanket over a horse and hoping no-one sees it, but they`ll still have a look under the blanket. If you don`t want to risk losing it, take it with you.

how big are your pockets to fit a horse into them??! 8O

the i3 is 'just smaller than a cricket ball' which makes it ideal to keep in your coat pocket and be used as a weapon in an attack situation ;)

i have one pair of jeans where the pockets are big enough for the i3, but usually it goes in my jacket/coat pocket or the mrs's bag.

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

i have one pair of jeans where the pockets are big enough for the i3, but usually it goes in my jacket/coat pocket or the mrs's bag.
MaFt

Wives and handbags - you can't beat them for carrying the stuff you can't find space for, or can't be bothered carrying.

Fortunately, she'll never find out I said tha<NO CARRIER>
Mr_Gonzales
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always take the whole i3/mount off the windscreen and wipe over the suction mark.

If you ever need to leave stuff in the car, leave it in the boot... people can't see in with the parcel shelfand even if someone breaks into the car the last place they check is the boot (if they can get in there at all).

I know people (with budget cars) who leave their car doors unlocked, on the basis that there's nothing in there worth stealing, they'd rather someone opened the door, found nothing and went away than broke the window, and no-one in their right mind would bother trying to steal the car itself.
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my reasons for choosing the i3 over a TTG300 was it fits in an inside jacket pocket sweet. I leave the sticky disc with suction mount on the dash all the time though. I have the mount in the centre next to hands free cradle. Connective thinking maybe.....? The phone isn't there and that wouldn't be in the glove box.... so why should the i3?
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but should we be notifying our insurance companies that we have a gps in our cars?
littlelostboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not your gps is covered in the event of a theft from your car probably depends on whether it is mentioned in the schedule of your motor insurance unless it is factory fitted equipment not a portable accessory.
Mine only mentions audio eqipment, I suppose you could inform them and have it added to your cover at extra cost

L.L.B.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELennium wrote:
Just a thought but should we be notifying our insurance companies that we have a gps in our cars?

I wouldn't mention it; they might want more money; after all this makes your car a higher risk for attracting scum.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootle wrote:
One of my reasons for choosing the i3 over a TTG300 was it fits in an inside jacket pocket sweet. I leave the sticky disc with suction mount on the dash all the time though. I have the mount in the centre next to hands free cradle. Connective thinking maybe.....? The phone isn't there and that wouldn't be in the glove box.... so why should the i3?

Well it's only going to take about 20 seconds for them to put a brick through your window and have a look. Returning to find your side window in a thousand pieces all over your car isn't a pleasant experience.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some similar camera bags in Asda to the Lowepro z5, but what put me off was the zip. I thought that i might scratch the screen when either putting in or taking out the i3. So i decided on a velcro type camera case made by Hama from Asda for £6.95.It fits perfectly and has a pocket for spare batterys & can be used with a belt.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: