Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin StreetPilot i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin StreetPilot i3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use the city select from your 60c and you will have voice naviagation...cant see the benifit of doing this unless you plan to use the i3 in europe...DONT overite the existing mapping on the transflash card , use a blank card...
telecaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Streetpilot i3 Reply with quote

erniesone1 wrote:
I have been using the Garmin 60C for a couple of years. It has lots of ‘bells and whistles’ but for in-car use the i3 is excellent, in particular the wheel zoom.

One aspect I miss on the i3 is lack of Car Park data on maps. Does anyone know if all the extra data ( POI’s) on City Select would be available if this mapping is loaded onto a separate Transflash and used in place of the existing card?

I assume I would however lose the voice commands by using City Select software from my 60C.

My set-up will be of no interest to anyone – but I will give it anyway. I have one of those funny windscreens and had my aerial on the dash right next to the drivers door. Signal usually OK but after reading earlier reports (that glass is not treated behind drivers mirror) I placed aerial on the back of the mirror (with Velcro). Aerial wire is very easy to hide around edge of the windscreen. Better signal but aerial can fall off. So I built a little platform on the mirror base (with fibreglass) so the aerial sits right next to the glass and I get 5 columns nearly all the time.

I had my 60C holder bolted onto a central, dash, air-vent (Peugeot 406). Removing the vent cover the i3 just about sits in. A hole drilled in rear side of the plastic vent housing (watch what is behind) allows aerial and power leads to fit from under the dash. I placed cling-film in the gap (in case I wish to remove later), shot in some foam filler; wrapped the i3 and leads in cling-film and placed in space. Allow to dry, cut off excess filler, top off with plastic padding; sandpaper and paint. i3 is now totally secure for pressing buttons, is not obvious from the street, can be removed and replaced easily.

Hey that sounds cool......any photos available?
survivalskills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: i3 Transflash backup problem Reply with quote

I've just got an i3 after trying one at the weekend, and the first thing I wanted to do was to back up the installed Transflash card... however, having put the card in a reader, I'm not able to see any files on it. The size of the drive is initially mis-reported and then when I click on it, says it doesn't exist...

Any ideas if this is a card reader problem, or some kind of copy protection?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: i3 Transflash backup problem Reply with quote

survivalskills wrote:
I've just got an i3 after trying one at the weekend, and the first thing I wanted to do was to back up the installed Transflash card... however, having put the card in a reader, I'm not able to see any files on it. The size of the drive is initially mis-reported and then when I click on it, says it doesn't exist...

Any ideas if this is a card reader problem, or some kind of copy protection?

copy protection.....imagine the problems garmin would have if you could copy and illegally distribute the maps...
survivalskills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: i3 Transflash backup problem Reply with quote

zogman wrote:

copy protection.....imagine the problems garmin would have if you could copy and illegally distribute the maps...

Drat... let's hope the card has a decent lifespan then...

Forgive the newbie questions, but I'm ploughing steadily thru the i3-related topics on here 8O
Tubal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my transflash card in a sd "cover" and can copy the contents to my PC no problem.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubal wrote:
I use my transflash card in a sd "cover" and can copy the contents to my PC no problem.

have you tried loading the copied maps to a blank card and then inserting the card into your i3....i remember someone on the forum tried this and it didnt work....
erniesone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to 'read' the files from the i3 card. I copied them to my PC and back to a separate Transflash. Copied OK but i3 just asks for the correct software.

I need another City Select licence in order to make it work - but I wish to know if there is an advantage i.e get all the City Select POI's) before I spend the cash.

I will take some photos of my setup (see above) and publish where the are.
erniesone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telecaster asked for photos of my i3 car setup (my comments Wed 2nd Nov. refer). Photos can be found at

http://ntlworld.photobox.co.uk/album/2081528
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a nice setup mate..can you still hear the voice commands clearly.
erniesone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
thats a nice setup mate..can you still hear the voice commands clearly.

Yes sound on level 4 is fine even with the radio on. I have made a few comments with photos - they appear lower right if you use the 'view a slideshow' - not a great photo facility but Hey, it's free.
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea erniesone1, but does the indicator & or the steering wheel not block your view of the i3?
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone still get the white square/black dot instead of the speed limit icon?

I've checked my colour depths etc and they're OK.

Any help would be appreciated.

Confused!
kevinbev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is because that the bmp file should be titled the same as the csv file and that the dots and dashes must be the same as well. So if the bmp file comes up as pocketgps_uk_mobile_30 then the csv file must be exactly the same. Also make sure the correct icon is allocated for the relevant item.
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files all have exactly the same name (apart from the extension).

Thing is, I'm sure it worked once!

I've tried changed the colour depth too. No change!

Weird!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 35 of 39

Jump to: