Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reformat CF Storage Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reformat CF Storage Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AliS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reformat CF Storage Card Reply with quote

I am about to reinstall the TT software and start afresh. Can someone please tell me the best way to reformat the compact flash storage card. I cannot find the option.
catken96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reformat CF Storage Card Reply with quote

I'm sure this will work with CF Cards.

Go to:-

http://pdacentral.ozbytes.net.au/pocket/util_file_default.html

and download the ARM Storage Tools. They have a Free version "Format & Scan", and a Shareware "Format, Scan, & Defrag" (15 day free trial) version. Load this into the default installation folder ,(it will show as SoftWinter Storage Tools in the Add/Remove Programs window). Tap "Start", "Programs","Storage Tools", and away you go. I have a 128Meg SD Card set as FAT16, and 2Kb cluster size, and this seems OK. Hope this helps.

Tom.
genes
Occasional Visitor

BEWARE - I downloaded the full version of this program this morning - When I ran defrag it cleaned my SD card and then when I used it to format before re-installing my maps the format was no good and the card was no longer recognised by anything and impossible to use or reformat in my card reader.

After lots of cussing and swearing I tried a reformat using my digital camera and this worked - Then cam the long job of re-installing everything.

Not a program I would try again

Terry
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I posted a similar message about Storage Tools a few months ago when it was first let out into the public as a beta. I could read the storage card in my card reader though and managed to recover all off the card.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

That version of StorageTools is ancient - version 1.1. SoftWinter are now up to version 1.5, which is only available in a "30 day, then you have to pay for it" version, but works so well I paid for it!

I would suggest not using such an old version. I'm surprised it's still available anywhere.

David
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Hi AliS,

Actually Storage Tools is now Version 1.6, issued 31-07-03. I've been using 1.1 without any problems. The reason I mentioned that particular link was because it was a freebie intro to Format etc. Yes it is still available on quite a few sites. Beta versions need to be treated with caution. If you look up SoftWinter on the net, you can buy 1.6 for less than a £Tenner.

Tom.
Scott
Regular Visitor

Have you tried CNetX's Flash Format? (www.cnetx.com)

It's one of the few PPC apps I've actually thought was worth buying.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

There we go - I post saying version 1.5 is available - and they go and issue version 1.6! It looks like the only real change is Pocket PC 2003 support.

David
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Hi David,

I expect there will be lots of little tweaks to 3rd party utilities to ensure compatibility with PPC2003.

Tom.
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

I still reckon that any CF or SD user will find an investment of £20 in a USB card reader most worthwhile. Formatting a card with one of those is simplicity itself. As Dave says - you can also use PC based disk tools. They've helped me recover almost everything from a SD card I managed to trash.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I must admit, I wouldn't be without a PC card reader!
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

I had the same problem with my ScanDisk 256mb SD Card, it lost its format when I first used it. I tried everything to Reformat it, PDA, Camera nothing worked, so I bought a USB 6 in 1 card reader, Reformatted via My Computer, just right click on the new drive letter for the SD/CF Card and you have the option there to Format, (just make sure you pick the correct Drive letter our you could have major problems). Since doing this I've never had a problem with the SD Card since.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: