Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom cradle (Tosh e350)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom cradle (Tosh e350)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom cradle (Tosh e350) Reply with quote

Hi,

My TT2 mount also looses grip after a while (30mins or so) the side jaws just open up and cease to grip the Axim, I have used a very high tech rubber band around the top of the axim and mount, this has cured the problem altogether and has the added advantage that you can use a coloured band to co-ordinate with the vehicle interior .

Seriously though I am looking forward to viewing the new TT cradle when it becomes available with built in lead it looks nice and easy.

As to the problem of the lead dropping out I have cured this problem by just winding the cable around the cradle swan neck twice, this takes the wieght of the cable and I have had no problems with the connector falling out even over off road conditions.

Best regards David
Dave Southend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: TomTom cradle (Tosh e350) Reply with quote

Has anyone discovered a decent alternative to the cradle supplied with the Tomtom package? The cradle with the squeezy jaws doesn't remain closed, allowing the PC to drop out.

dogo
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I believe you may have a faulty cradle, I also own the above package and although I must admit that the cradle dose not seem like a tight fit I have never experienced the pc dropping out.
Zmurf
Occasional Visitor

I'm also having problems with the PDA dropping out of the cradle, and I don't think much to the mounts either.

The narrowest the cradle closes to is 78mm between the jaws, narrowed further by the padding to 71mm. As the padding compresses quite a lot, and the iPAQ is 78mm wide, there's not much safety margin.

In desperation I experimented by closing the jaws completely, and holding them closed whilst pushing the PDA in from the top. There's no sign of the ratchet allowing expansion when you do this, however, measuring the subsequent gap reveals that it has opened to 78mm. Consequently the padding isn't compressed, and the unit falls out.

Even if there wasn't this problem, the legs are barely long enough to hold the PDA, and the jaws should really be higher up to held prevent the unit falling out.

I am also having problems with the mounts. Despite the total lack of instructions in the box, I found out how the air vent mount worked by reading the review on this site. But there's nothing to stop the vents swivelling downwards, and then of course the iPAQ hits the deck. The gooseneck isn't any better as it's too short for either of our cars.

The TomTom Nav2 package is keenly priced, the downside is the poor quality mounts and cradle. I've spoken to TotalPDA about the problem and am returning the kit.

Tim
Dave
Frequent Visitor

The TomTom mount does this, in most cases it appears to be the rubber going soft that allows the Pocket PC's to slip. What I've done in the past is to have the mount mounted somewhere near the drivers steering wheel arch over the dashboard, and have a corner of the Pocket PC rest on this arch. This stops it slipping out, but not all cars have a dashboard like this.
Dave Southend
Occasional Visitor

I've now replaced the Tomtom mount with an Arkon CM652 Multimedia PDA Console Mount Kit from Expansys. So far, it appears to be a better design. The cradle itself has a nice ratchet mechanism, so hopefully my PDA will now stay in place. It also comes with the strongest velcro I have ever seen! However, as soon as there is a hot day, I'm sure I will have to resort to screwing it in place.

Chorlie
Regular Visitor

My friend had the same problem with the mount, the PDA dropping out of the holder, so we did a bit of DIY on it, and now slide the PDA in from the top.

Also the power lead for the PDA (Dell Axim) kept dropping out, after a mile it would work lose and drop out so no power or signal, we sent the cable back and after 4 weeks, several phone calls was told by NavCity they never recieved it back so had to buy a new one from them, for this to be no better. So some more DIY and super glue & now have a holder with the power lead in one, just slide the PDA and it all work.

Summary - The holder and the leads for a Axim are of a very poor design.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: